Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rickster101
    • By Rickster101 14th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Rickster101
    Taylor Wimpey fail to tell me I'm not moving in with 3 days to go
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:51 AM
    Taylor Wimpey fail to tell me I'm not moving in with 3 days to go 14th Jun 17 at 8:51 AM
    I've basically just got back from a trip last weekend hoping to get the keys to my new Taylor Wimpey house this Friday as I was told 4 weeks ago we would complete on the 16th.
    So on Monday (12th June) I thought I'd check in with my solicitor only to find out he has not heard anything from Taylor Wimpey when he should know two weeks in advance when completion is.
    So I chased up the regional Taylor Wimpey manager to be told completion is expected on the 30th June. The first original date was March/April when we reserved the plot.
    I've got tiles and carpets deliveries and tradesmen all booked in for next week and I am unable to change the time I've got off from work to fit in with "their" expected completion date.
    Has anyone else been let down so close to the expected completion date and where do I stand?
    I am furious and I am worried I have not got leg to stand on. It could take ages rescheduled tradesmen and I'll won't have the time to spend moving and organising my house when I do get the keys.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 14th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 4,952 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    No legs to stand on, no. Any estimated entry date is just that - an estimate. You shouldn't really be committing yourself with other orders/time off work until you know when completion is actually going to be (I presume from your post that your contract says they give you two weeks' notice of the contractual completion date?).
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Jun 17, 9:05 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Did you exchange contracts with an 'on-notice' completion date? As in Taylor Wimpey would notify you a certain period of time in advance of the property being ready, normally 10 working days.
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 14th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    They can only legally sign the house over once they have had it approved by the NHBC I believe.

We looked around various new build companies and all explained they could only commit to a completion date two weeks in advance - anything else is a guideline.

Sorry to hear about the difficulties though. I keep telling myself that although it's not ideal (we will need to overlap rent by 6 weeks...) being part of a chain must be worse in the stress stakes.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 14th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 4,641 Posts
    • 4,299 Thanks
    eddddy
    So it sounds like your contract is for "Completion on Notice" - that's typically 10 days notice.

Your solicitor will inform you when he/she receives notice, and you and your solicitor will then have 10 days to sort everything out.

It was very unhelpful of the regional manager to give you an incorrect date, but in legal terms I suspect that anything he/she said was 'subject to contract' - so you can't rely on it.

You can complain to the regional manager about being misled, if you want. They may make some kind of goodwill gesture - but TBH, I doubt they will.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 14,426 Posts
    • 12,752 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:13 AM
    When you were given that date of 16th, were you told it was concrete, or that it may change and would be confirmed nearer the time?

Sounds like you had two weeks notice that it wouldn't be 16th, because of lack of confirmation, but you weren't available to do anything about that. That isn't TW's problem. Nor is booking things before a date is finally confirmed. Your eagerness and disappointment is understandable, but - equally - if the property isn't ready, the property isn't ready.
    • Rickster101
    • By Rickster101 20th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rickster101
    • 20th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    Thank you Everyone for your responses.
    It has been a head ache. The completion date was not in concrete but because of my situation, limited time to do everything and the wait time for tradesmen I had to try and get it done in this short window.
    Taylor Wimpey have been very helpful in the last week, so I am no longer pulling my last few hairs out.
    Thank you again everyone.
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 20th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 21,652 Posts
    • 12,452 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 20th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 5:15 PM
    Taylor Wimpey have been very helpful in the last week, so I am no longer pulling my last few hairs out.
    Paid for the hair restorer?
    • Rickster101
    • By Rickster101 20th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Rickster101
    • 20th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    • 20th Jun 17, 9:37 PM
    That's a lost cause now. haha
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,145Posts Today

9,233Users online

Martin's Twitter