Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Jun 17, 5:00 AM
    • 1,273Posts
    • 10,679Thanks
    karcher
    O/S Daily Wednesday 14th June
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:00 AM
    O/S Daily Wednesday 14th June 14th Jun 17 at 5:00 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 2
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 14th Jun 17, 2:16 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 2,517 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Afternoon all
    UP late to pick DS up from TA then up early to take mum to opticians and then shopping (I am only mentioning this as i don't take her very often )
    Dolly walked and a bit of sorting out done and DW on YS chicken salad for tea tonight its too hot for anything else
    DS is off now for a couple of days but he has some serious thinking to do re his TA and his business
    Will be going in the garden with my kindle n a cuppa in a bit we couldn't use the garden yesterday as new neighbours next door but one decided to have a bonfire all day GRRR
    Have a great evening whatever you are up to
    • Gers
    • By Gers 14th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 5,767 Posts
    • 33,566 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening all - back home, missed the sunny dry day by being inside all the time. And it's going to rain tomorrow again.

The first meeting was pretty dull though necessary. Then I found out that the canteen was closed so by the time the second meeting was finished my stomach was rumbling away like a volcano. Luckily the second meeting was much more interesting which helped keep my mind off my food.

I did a little bit of shopping in Oban and then drove home. I was just about to start cooking when I saw half a leek tart on my draining board! The tart fairy had been to leave it for me. It was so lovely to find and even more lovely to eat. The chap up the hill had been down to drill holes in my drowning sweet pea pot which is now draining - he's also a trained chef so his tarts are always fantastic.

No plans for the evening apart from (perhaps) watching Vera which I've recorded or there's the programme about Billy Connolly on later tonight.

I hope that everyone enjoys their evening.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jun 17, 6:01 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 30,654 Thanks
    Floss
    Gers I only have a tea fairy (DH) although he does make wine, gin & beer too so maybe I've got a good deal!
    • FurryBeastOz
    • By FurryBeastOz 14th Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 14,289 Thanks
    FurryBeastOz
    I have a birthday tiramisu, card and flowers fairy today. I'd better cheer up.

It's been a crappy few days. My career may well be over and if I get my final 3 weeks salary it won't even cover the legal fees so far.

Jackie0 your frugal recipe book is coming out.

Thankfully my governing body support team has offered me career counselling to help me get started looking. I'd better milk it for all it's worth. Thankfully it is available for both current and ex members.

Sorry to be so negative. I realise its nothing compared to the horror in London overnight.
    *** Debt Free***
    NST September - /18
    Goals - Weight loss 0/13lb from 1st Jul 17
    GC To 1/9/17 £2152.27/£3,500, 61.5/66.6% of the year. Had to raise budget
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 14th Jun 17, 7:39 PM
    • 3,473 Posts
    • 40,013 Thanks
    camelot1001
    Happy Birthday FBO, sorry you are feeling so down.

I do believe we've had a day without rain which has been really rather pleasant! Stayed late at work to get a big job done - it's impossible during the day as there are too many interruptions.

I've just cut the grass, feel glad that's done as I think we are due more rain from tomorrow.

I am so sad for the folk who have lost everything in London but lovely to see so many lovely people coming to help.

Have a good evening.
    • karcher
    • By karcher 14th Jun 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1,273 Posts
    • 10,679 Thanks
    karcher

It's been a crappy few days. My career may well be over and if I get my final 3 weeks salary it won't even cover the legal fees so far.

Thankfully my governing body support team has offered me career counselling to help me get started looking. I'd better milk it for all it's worth. Thankfully it is available for both current and ex members.

Sorry to be so negative. I realise its nothing compared to the horror in London overnight.
    Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    Really sorry to hear you are down FBO and things are tough for you right now. I do hope things pick up for you soon. Take care xx

And Happy Birthday..have some more cake
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Jun 17, 8:04 PM
    • 15,249 Posts
    • 123,931 Thanks
    JackieO
    Evening everyone, what a dreadful thing today in London, but again the fantastic people of this country rally round and help.

One of the things I am so proud of in this country is the way complete strangers will help when things go wrong, it makes you realise that for all the awful things that happen, there is an innate goodness in people ,even though it sometimes the dreadful calamities that bring out the best in people.

Well done to all the emergency services, and the local folk who have thought of their neighbours and rushed to help.
    Practical things like the young lass who managed to get a trolleyfull of bottled water from Tesco's, and the blankets and clothes donated for people who had only the stuff they stood up in.

I can't imagine how dreadful it is to be not only homeless, but without your precious bits and pieces around you. Some of which are irreplaceable.

They say the best laid plans go wrong well my day turned out different than I expected .Went to the garage with DD and sorted delivery for two weeks today, and insurances out with her .

She was feeling a bit down as her physio for her plantar facciliss was quite painful today. She had a deep massage on her calves which was really quite uncomfotable for her and she limped down to my house afterwards .

On the way back from the garage we stopped off for lunch at The Barn Yard near to where I live and had a really lovely lunch and a good long natter. I dropped her off home so she could put her feet up and have a rest and then bless her late afternoon she rang in to see what she had on the office diary for tomorrow and found that she had been booked for four valuations first thing, she had to go into work to pick up all the relevant paperwork. She is such a grafter bless her ,even though it was her day off she went in. They are very lucky to have her working there I think.

I'm still stuffed from lunch so I shan't bother to cook anything tonight and my steak that I had planned can wait until tomorrow night

Beautiful evening and I am listening to my local bellringers practicing in our church, probably a wedding or two this Saturday.

Hope you all have a peaceful and pleasant evening

Take care and be safe

Cheers JackieO xx

PS sorry you are feeling down FBO but glad the recipes will come in handy
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 14th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 30,654 Thanks
    Floss

Originally posted by FurryBeastOz
    FBO - if you have union / professional body membership there may be legal advice available there, also check if you have legal cover in your home insurance. Hope things soon come to a peaceful.conclusion for you.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 15,069 Posts
    • 61,285 Thanks
    Judi
    Evening all,

I have a certificate, so I must be a proper helmswoman now!!
    All aboard!!!! Ive been dying to say that!

I am off for my first ever Aldi shop later. I haven’t been able to shop there before because it is over 2 miles and although I am comfortable walking that far I could never have carried the shopping home, and there is no direct bus so it hasn’t really been practical. I am looking forward to being able to get things a lot cheaper than I have been paying.
    You would think so wouldnt you.... my problem is that i keep chucking stuff in the trolley. Another £80 last Friday and theres only 3 of us (and two small hounds). I get glared at by hubby as he goes to pay but he's quick to moan if his weekend breakfast isnt piled high with bacon, sausage and eggs or ive scrimped on his packed lunches.

I know a hug wont quite compensate but have one anyway.

Had a message from Prodigal tonight. He wants help finding an apprenticeship. His Dad doesnt want to know and what do i know about apprenticeships? Ive referred him back to the job centre though they were pretty useless when Youngest was looking for work.

Sleep well all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 14th Jun 17, 9:24 PM
    • 1,661 Posts
    • 15,210 Thanks
    csarina2
    [/URL]

Started the sewing for the Artisan fair. Table runner wadding is insul bright which means you can put hot plates on the runner,
    Last edited by csarina2; 14-06-2017 at 9:31 PM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Jun 17, 9:44 PM
    • 2,229 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    caronc
    FBO - hugs and Happy Birthday xx
    May GC £150/£150, June GC £117/£120, July £185/£170, August £108/£120, Sep GC £109/£120
    • Judi
    • By Judi 14th Jun 17, 9:50 PM
    • 15,069 Posts
    • 61,285 Thanks
    Judi
    Csarina that is beautiful.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Jun 17, 10:46 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 7,386 Thanks
    Hollyharvey

Had a message from Prodigal tonight. He wants help finding an apprenticeship. His Dad doesnt want to know and what do i know about apprenticeships? Ive referred him back to the job centre though they were pretty useless when Youngest was looking for work.

Sleep well all.
    Originally posted by Judi

I don't know if this link is of any help to you Judi, a friend of mine is a director of a college that is on the register of apprentichttps://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeshipeship training providers. I have just contacted her and she suggested this link because you can search by area or field that he would like to work in. There is also contact details for a helpline. https://www.gov.uk/apply-apprenticeship
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,704Posts Today

7,019Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin