Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonnywright
    • By jonnywright 14th Jun 17, 12:17 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 10Thanks
    jonnywright
    Premium Mobile Charges - who should be helping me reclaim?
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:17 AM
    Premium Mobile Charges - who should be helping me reclaim? 14th Jun 17 at 12:17 AM
    It feels quite ironic posting on this forum, as I will be the first to admit that I'm not the best at keeping track of my outgoings, which will become evident as you read my story. I'm by no means bad with money, but I'm the kind of person who doesn't necessarily check every bill I get every month to make sure everything is in order (I feel that may change from now on).

I did recently log onto my mobile account online (EE) just to check my bills and charges as I had noticed my bills were slightly higher than I was expecting (both my wife and I had been abroad separately over the months in question so was checking for roaming charges etc, both our mobile contracts are in my name on the same account). It turns out I had been charged for a premium mobile service - £2.50 per week for 20 weeks, totalling £50). I instantly called EE to cancel the service and identify the company that was charging me and why. After a rather difficult phone call, I found out the company that had been charging me was Bounce Mobile Services.

What frustrated the most about the whole situation wasn't even the money I felt had been unfairly charged, but the attitude of the CS rep who handled my issue. I consider myself pretty competent with tech in general and am very careful about who I give my personal details, such as phone number, out to. I was told that "I must have signed up without realising", which I dismissed very quickly. The CS rep then proceeded to tell me that it could have been done through an app I downloaded and it would have been written into the small print. I then challenged how this could have happened without me giving out my phone number - she was insistent that it could still be done (I'm 99% sure this isn't possible). I was also told that there was nothing EE could do (I now believe she meant there is nothing they would do) and, possibly naively, I took that as gospel. I went on my way to try and get in touch with Bounce Mobile Services (this is all the information they could give me - no contact details in any form).

After a few hours of digging, I was still unable to find contact details to make a claim against this company, but did stumble across a few articles (of which I don't have the links to hand) which suggested that in a situation such as mine, where I feel the charges were unfair, EE are responsible for refunding me and claiming the charges back, similarly to if I got an unexpected charge on my credit card.

The reason I didn't notice I was getting these premium rate messages is that once I received the first one, which starts "FreeMsg", I blocked the number. I was also under the impression that the only way you could be charged for premium services like this was through a premium text message? The fact that the message states that it is a "FreeMsg" surely gives me some contending power?

Funnily enough, if you do a Google search for Bounce Mobile Services, the top 3 results take you to the EE support forum - coincidence?

Finally to my actual question - are EE legally obliged to help me in this situation, or am I on my own to attempt to recoup my losses?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 14th Jun 17, 6:42 AM
    • 3,355 Posts
    • 5,731 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:42 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:42 AM
    Here is their actual website http://mobilechargesupport.com/faqs under the FAQs they do make it clear that the only way to sign up for the service is to click one of their ads while using mobile data, that takes you to their subscription page where you click join now, you are then text to let you know you've got a 24 hr free pass to try out the service before it rolls onto the subscription or you can cancel.

It sounds like you did get that message, the freemsg you got, but chose to block the number and delete rather than read it and act on it. They have four services called bounce mobi games, LV Food, ifitness and WWE, you are most likely to have had an ad and signed up for one similar to either your interests or websites you regularly visit as they use targeted advertising.

I can't really see how you can get help with this as they are quite clear what the process is for signing up. The only other thing I can think of is maybe if you have kids you've let them use your phone for a few minutes and they've signed you up?
    • photome
    • By photome 14th Jun 17, 6:51 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    photome
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:51 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:51 AM
    Not sure why you got annoyed with EE its not them that have been charging you its Bounce.

have you cancelled it now with Bounce
    • RoonilWazlib
    • By RoonilWazlib 14th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    RoonilWazlib
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    http://psauthority.org.uk/about-us/number-checker

PSA might be able to mediate if you cant sort it but you need to contact Bounce directly to query it.
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 2,359 Thanks
    takman
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    What frustrated the most about the whole situation wasn't even the money I felt had been unfairly charged, but the attitude of the CS rep who handled my issue. I consider myself pretty competent with tech in general and am very careful about who I give my personal details, such as phone number, out to. I was told that "I must have signed up without realising", which I dismissed very quickly. The CS rep then proceeded to tell me that it could have been done through an app I downloaded and it would have been written into the small print. I then challenged how this could have happened without me giving out my phone number - she was insistent that it could still be done (I'm 99% sure this isn't possible). I was also told that there was nothing EE could do (I now believe she meant there is nothing they would do) and, possibly naively, I took that as gospel. I went on my way to try and get in touch with Bounce Mobile Services (this is all the information they could give me - no contact details in any form).

After a few hours of digging, I was still unable to find contact details to make a claim against this company, but did stumble across a few articles (of which I don't have the links to hand) which suggested that in a situation such as mine, where I feel the charges were unfair, EE are responsible for refunding me and claiming the charges back, similarly to if I got an unexpected charge on my credit card.

The reason I didn't notice I was getting these premium rate messages is that once I received the first one, which starts "FreeMsg", I blocked the number. I was also under the impression that the only way you could be charged for premium services like this was through a premium text message? The fact that the message states that it is a "FreeMsg" surely gives me some contending power?
    Originally posted by jonnywright
    As someone who is "pretty competent" with tech you should know that if you block a number on your phone then your phone still receives the messages, all your phone does it not show them to you and delete them or put them in a spam folder. So you can still receive premium rate messages and be charged for them.
    Which means that blocking these numbers on your phone is a usually a bad idea as you now know.

If it costs £2.50 a week then your phone bill will be around £10 a month higher each month than expected, which you should have noticed when payment was taken from your bank because £10 is quite a big difference.

But at least now you have learnt that you need to check every payment taken from your bank and check if your not 100% sure its correct. Which is likely to save you more than £50 in the future.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

2,150Users online

Martin's Twitter