Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PeteW
    • By PeteW 13th Jun 17, 11:06 PM
    • 1,158Posts
    • 1,808Thanks
    PeteW
    Permitted Development Outbuilding - distance from property
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:06 PM
    Permitted Development Outbuilding - distance from property 13th Jun 17 at 11:06 PM
    Our council have just refused a certificate of lawfulness for an outbuilding with a 150mm gap from our house. The permitted development guidance for outbuildings does not specify a minimum distance from the main house, and we have heard of others having gaps as small as 25mm deemed lawful.

As such, we're looking to appeal, and so I am looking to find examples where a Certificate of Lawfulness was granted for any outhouses 150mm or less from the main house. I have found one but it would be good to find any more.

Anyone know of any examples, or have been through this yourself?

Thanks

Pete
Page 2
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 14th Jun 17, 11:32 AM
    • 1,366 Posts
    • 1,358 Thanks
    EachPenny
    I wish councils were that easy to get info from. It's very unlikely the council will give any of this kind of information out without a pre-planning enquiry or another application. Both of which cost and most councils do not offer pre-planning advice on permitted development.

It sounds like an exaggeration but unfortunately planners very rarely give out specific advice.
    Originally posted by lwhiteman88
    I'd generally agree with this, but Local Government officers have to base their decisions on legislation, policy, guidance and adopt a reasonable approach. Someone affected by their decision can reasonably ask them to explain it and show that it is based on a reasonable approach. If the council declines to provide that information then their position in relation to costs at a later date is undermined.

The OP could use FOI to request the council's definition of 'minimum gap' in general terms, but it is unlikely to help them much. Therefore I'd ask the questions in my previous post and then look at appealing depending on the response.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • PeteW
    • By PeteW 14th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 1,158 Posts
    • 1,808 Thanks
    PeteW
    Unfortunately they are from the planning jungle which is a paid for website. So, without sounding selfish, I probably can't share without breaching their websites terms. I will see if they allow this but it may be worth you just joining as in the grand scheme it would be cost effective. I believe its £60. There are 4 cases which are identical to yours all of which were approved on appeal.
    Originally posted by lwhiteman88
    I can understand that. Though having looked at their terms & conditions it appears you can "quote excerpts from documents produced by Planning Jungle Limited" you just aren't allowed to wholesale "distribute or make available these documents (either in their original or altered form) to anyone else."

My reading of that would be that you could pass on the relevant application numbers, just not the whole documents they pertain to.

Up to you of course though, and thanks for your help either way.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,276Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin