Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Paul4295
    • By Paul4295 13th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Paul4295
    Identical appeals, different outcomes
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:54 PM
    Identical appeals, different outcomes 13th Jun 17 at 10:54 PM
    Seem to have a bit of an unusual situation, as seen nothing on threads similar. My wife and son parked their cars in a car park at the same time, and were both issued PCN's as we were not 'patrons' of the establishment (big leisure complex car park). Both appealed to the operator (signage was poor);unsurprisingly, both rejected. Both were then appealed to the IAS, using identical wording in both the appeals. My wife's appeal was upheld by the IAS (great, we thought, son's will be as well). Twelve hours later, my son's appeal was dismissed! When questioning this to the IAS (not easy, as they really don't want anyone to contact them; we ended up getting the operator to contact them on our behalf), the excuse we got for this was the two appeals were looked at by different (anonymous) adjudicators, and once a decision had been made, the IAS are unable to interfere with the adjudicator's decision, as 'this would compromise the independence of the service'(!). We then asked for comments on how this could happen from the Lead Adjudicator Bryn Holloway, named on the IAS website. Surely a precedent had been set with the first decision? Several months later, still no response.
    We're now getting letters, first from ZZPS, and now their tame solicitors Wright Hassall, 'encouraging' us to pay the fine, and how to easily do this. Just curious if anyone has any advice on this; two identical appeals (following their prescribed appeals system) with different outcomes? Can they enforce the one supposedly issued correctly, when we have evidence stating an identical one was incorrect?
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    waamo
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:58 PM
    I wouldn't call the IAS a kangaroo court but their "service" does appear to be run by Skippy and based in the outback.

They allow roughly 20% of appeals because that's the bare minimum the DVLA will let them get away with.

Have a good read of the Newbies thread at the top of this forum focusing on the advice regarding debt collectors.
    This space for hire.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    • 47,975 Posts
    • 61,434 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:02 PM
    We are just amazed that one IAS appeal was won!

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/is-independent-appeal-service-kangaroo.html

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/independent-parking-committee-kangaroo.html
    PRIVATE PCN in England/Wales? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT

Click on the trail, top of this page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    DON'T read old advice to ignore, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Paul4295
    • By Paul4295 13th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Paul4295
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    Call me a bit naïve, but did expect both appeals to come back the same! Guess it shows what a complete waste of time the IAS are.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 13th Jun 17, 11:26 PM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    waamo
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:26 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:26 PM
    The good news is that should they be mad enough to issue a court claim they might have an awkward time explaining how one appeal was allowed and the other denied.

I would forward everything to the DVLA and start asking awkward questions of them.
    This space for hire.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,924Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin