Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 13th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 23Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: 'Free' mobile roaming in the EU starts on Thursday
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    MSE News: 'Free' mobile roaming in the EU starts on Thursday 13th Jun 17 at 10:28 PM
    New European Union rules which come into effect this week will slash the cost of using your mobile in most parts of Europe...
    Read the full story:
    'Free' mobile roaming in the EU starts on Thursday - 10 things you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 2
    • marilou66
    • By marilou66 19th Jun 17, 2:27 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    marilou66
    Does it work for PAYG?
    I have seen this advertised in a few places, but none of them address my query: does this apply to PAYG? It looks like it's only for contracts but since I'm on PAYG (GiffGaff) I'd like to be sure. (I saw somewhere that it did, but when I asked GG they said it didn't, so it's confusing). Many thanks.
    • d123
    • By d123 19th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    I have seen this advertised in a few places, but none of them address my query: does this apply to PAYG? It looks like it's only for contracts but since I'm on PAYG (GiffGaff) I'd like to be sure. (I saw somewhere that it did, but when I asked GG they said it didn't, so it's confusing). Many thanks.
    Originally posted by marilou66
    It does..

Our plans, we call them goodybags, include data, minutes and texts to all the countries in the EU and selected destinations, so you can do all the things you would, at home, but without any extra cost. The same goes for our Pay as you go prices as well. Bring on the sunshine.
    https://www.giffgaff.com/roaming-charges
    ====
    • phillw
    • By phillw 20th Jun 17, 8:22 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    phillw
    The UK, like Norway, Iceland etc, after we leave the EU will still be in the EEA therefore these prices will continue to apply to us. More scaremongering
    Originally posted by MiserlyMartin
    Remaining in the EEA would require free movement of people. Something the racists say they will cause a civil war over if that is still in place after brexit.

If Mrs May is correct and brexit means brexit, then we won't be part of the EEA.

After Brexit, I see the options are:
    1) no replacement regulation - so it's up to the market
    2) some sort of deal with the EU ("soft" brexit?), so this directive still applies
    3) the effect of the directive is carried over via the so-called great repeal bill.
    4) home-grown regulation

Personally I favour a mix of (1) and (4).
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    The great repeal bill will create the illusion of us keeping the rules post brexit. However changes are then up for grabs by which ever lobby group bungs the MPs the most money.

I'm not sure whether to bet on this being neutered first, or the working time directive. Or maybe they'll come out of left field when getting rid of EU red tape and decide that polluting beaches and rivers would save more money.
    Last edited by phillw; 20-06-2017 at 8:29 AM.
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 20th Jun 17, 11:10 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    Tropically
    I was very excited when travelling to the EU last weekend. I called my dad who lives outside of the EU on Father's Day. I thought I would only pay my regular international calling rate, but my mobile phone carrier, GIFFGAFF (who are awful), charged me £1/minute for this luxury. The normal tariff from calling in the UK is about £0.01/minute.

Are they breaking the law by doing this? The EU Regulations FAQ say:

1. Is it really true that I will not pay anything extra when I travel and use my smartphone in the EU?
    Yes. Your communications (phone calls, SMS, data) made from another EU country will be covered in your national bundle: the minutes, SMS and gigabytes of data that you consume abroad in the EU will be charged or deducted from the volumes of your national tariff plan exactly as if you were at home (in the country where you live, work or study). Contrary to the past, you will not have to pay anything extra. No bill shock anymore. Whether you use your mobile phone while periodically abroad in the EU or in the country where you live will not make any difference. You will roam like at home.

It seems like giffgaff are circumventing that by charging me 10x the regular rate. I got charged £12 for one phone call.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • d123
    • By d123 20th Jun 17, 11:29 AM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    I was very excited when travelling to the EU last weekend. I called my dad who lives outside of the EU on Father's Day. I thought I would only pay my regular international calling rate, but my mobile phone carrier, GIFFGAFF (who are awful), charged me £1/minute for this luxury. The normal tariff from calling in the UK is about £0.01/minute.

Are they breaking the law by doing this? The EU Regulations FAQ say:

1. Is it really true that I will not pay anything extra when I travel and use my smartphone in the EU?
    Yes. Your communications (phone calls, SMS, data) made from another EU country will be covered in your national bundle: the minutes, SMS and gigabytes of data that you consume abroad in the EU will be charged or deducted from the volumes of your national tariff plan exactly as if you were at home (in the country where you live, work or study). Contrary to the past, you will not have to pay anything extra. No bill shock anymore. Whether you use your mobile phone while periodically abroad in the EU or in the country where you live will not make any difference. You will roam like at home.

It seems like giffgaff are circumventing that by charging me 10x the regular rate. I got charged £12 for one phone call.
    Originally posted by Tropically
    What country did you call?
    ====
    • Tropically
    • By Tropically 20th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 416 Thanks
    Tropically
    What country did you call?
    Originally posted by d123
    A non-EU country in North America. I see now that the regulation doesn't mean that I get to have the same international rates as I pay regularly. The communication regarding this was very poor. The text I got said, "Calls, texts and data will now come out of your UK allowance, just like at home." It didn't say within the EU, or that normal 'rest of world' costs will apply. They deliberately misscommunicated.
    Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041
    2017 OPs: £7000/£7000
    Mortgage in Nov 2017 - £297,808
    • d123
    • By d123 20th Jun 17, 12:42 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    A quick look at the giffgaff pricing page for roaming (I chose Spain as roaming country) does say:

Making a phone call or sending a text from this country to another country that falls outside the EU and selected destination will cost £1 per minute and 30p/text. (VAT and relevant taxes are included in the pricing where applicable).
    https://www.giffgaff.com/roaming-charges
    ====
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 20th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    I am very wary of mobile phone companies and their charges. It's not just Giff Gaff... Three charge 46p/min to call Spain from a contract SIM, yet only charge 3p/min on PAYG. It's a similar rip off if you exceed your minutes on a Three contract, 35p/min compared to 3p/min on PAYG.

More than ever, it's essential to read the small print with these weasels. It pays to cap your spending on contracts too, even though some don't offer it on calls!
    • glocal
    • By glocal 14th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    glocal
    There is still some confusion around. 3 earlier replied to my query on tweeter confirming that while I am on holiday in a EU country, calls to any other EU country come out of my allowance! Surely, these should count as international calls. Otherwise, calling a third EU country while roaming will be cheaper (ie free) than calling the same country from home!

To sum up, does the following look right?

While visiting, say, France, (a) my calls to UK and French numbers come out of my allowance, but calls to German numbers are chargeable as international calls. (b) whether the person I am calling happens to be in France, Germany or the UK at the time is irrelevant to me -- it's where the number is registered that counts (c) I won't be charged to receive any calls (d) to people calling me it doesn't make a difference where I am (ie it's as if I am in the UK).
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Jul 17, 3:37 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    eDicky
    There is still some confusion around. 3 earlier replied to my query on tweeter confirming that while I am on holiday in a EU country, calls to any other EU country come out of my allowance! Surely, these should count as international calls. Otherwise, calling a third EU country while roaming will be cheaper (ie free) than calling the same country from home!

While visiting, say, France, (a) my calls to UK and French numbers come out of my allowance, but calls to German numbers are chargeable as international calls. (b) whether the person I am calling happens to be in France, Germany or the UK at the time is irrelevant to me -- it's where the number is registered that counts (c) I won't be charged to receive any calls (d) to people calling me it doesn't make a difference where I am (ie it's as if I am in the UK).
    Originally posted by glocal
    Your (b) and (d) have always been true. (c) is true since June 15th when you are in any EU/EEA country.

(a) is not true. Three informed you correctly, according to the 'Roam like at Home' regulations implemented since June 15th. However, certain networks do implement the regs according to your (a), and apparently even OFCOM will tell you that (a) is correct.

As you say, there is certainly still some confusion. You could switch to a network such as IDmobile that charges according to (a) if you prefer, look for the 'Roaming charges' thread below somewhere.
    • d123
    • By d123 14th Jul 17, 3:40 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123

Already discussed on the forum, as per the EU rules, whilst roaming all EEA calls are included in your allowance.

If I travel and call or text a friend, do I have to worry on which operator he/she is or whether it is a fixed or mobile?

No. When you are roaming in the EU, all calls to mobile and fixed numbers in the EU will be counted against your national volume of minutes (or will be unlimited if you have unlimited calls at home), exactly as if you were calling within your home country. If you have distinct so-called ‘on-net’ and ‘on-net’ volumes in your national bundle, all the roaming minutes may be all deducted from the on-net volume, and also when you call another subscriber of the same domestic operator while roaming.

For example: If you have a Belgian card and you travel to France and call either a hotel in France, back home to Belgium, or to any other country in the EU and the EEA, you are roaming, and you will pay Belgian internal domestic prices.

On the other hand, if for example, a Belgian SIM card holder calls from Belgium to Spain, she/he will pay the international tariff. Calls from home to another EU country are not roaming and are not regulated.
    http://ec.europa.eu/newsroom/document.cfm?doc_id=45382
    ====
    • glocal
    • By glocal 14th Jul 17, 4:02 PM
    • 87 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    glocal
    Thanks for these. What confuses things is that if you have a talktime/SMS allowance you are better off calling a German number while roaming in France (in my example) than from home. I suppose then if you live near a border with another EU/EEA country, it's better to switch occasionally to roaming to make international calls to other EU/EEA numbers. That's unless free roaming can't apply on the same day you connected to your home network (a restriction I saw mentioned but in my experience Three doesn't enforce).
    • d123
    • By d123 14th Jul 17, 4:11 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    Thanks for these. What confuses things is that if you have a talktime/SMS allowance you are better off calling a German number while roaming in France (in my example) than from home. I suppose then if you live near a border with another EU/EEA country, it's better to switch occasionally to roaming to make international calls to other EU/EEA numbers. That's unless free roaming can't apply on the same day you connected to your home network (a restriction I saw mentioned but in my experience Three doesn't enforce).
    The EU wanted to implement a single market for telecoms, I presume if they had the power to regulate home use we might well be allowed to make calls to EEA countries from our allowances, unfortunately they can only regulate on roaming use.

As you say, a person living near a border could indeed have allowance calls to all of the EEA if they could use a roaming network signal.

NI and Eire networks comes to mind.

That's unless free roaming can't apply on the same day you connected to your home network (a restriction I saw mentioned but in my experience Three doesn't enforce)
    I haven't seen that anywhere in the EU Regs, and it wouldn't make sense. By that standard a person getting on a plane at 1am and landing elsewhere in the EEA 3 hours later wouldn't be allowed to roam until midnight which is obviously not how it works.
    Last edited by d123; 14-07-2017 at 4:13 PM.
    ====
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 14th Jul 17, 8:36 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Ian011
    There is mention of "same day", but it's to do with a separate issue.

Within the EEA roaming regulations provision is made for people who live in one EEA country and commute across the border to another EEA country. As long as they connect to their home network at some point each day, they are not subject to the "use your phone abroad no more than X number of days within a certain period" rule.
    • AndyMcEwan
    • By AndyMcEwan 6th Aug 17, 12:10 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AndyMcEwan
    Calling other EU countries from the UK.
    I recently called my brother in France using my mobile phone as I thought well if it costs the same to call home from France while on holiday there then the same should apply in reverse, according to my provider EE it doesn't, as these are classed as international calls??? I don't understand how can it be cheaper to call the UK from France using my minutes etc, but cost a fortune (refunded after a call to EE customer care)to call France from the UK.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 6th Aug 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 1,277 Thanks
    eDicky
    I recently called my brother in France using my mobile phone as I thought well if it costs the same to call home from France while on holiday there then the same should apply in reverse, according to my provider EE it doesn't, as these are classed as international calls??? I don't understand how can it be cheaper to call the UK from France using my minutes etc, but cost a fortune (refunded after a call to EE customer care)to call France from the UK.
    Originally posted by AndyMcEwan
    It's very simple - the new EU regulations apply only when you are roaming; when you are in UK and make a call to another country you are not roaming and the normal international tariff applies. You were fortunate to receive a refund. Just use a cheap method of calling overseas, there are many.
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Aug 17, 3:20 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    Originally posted by AndyMcEwan
    The EU cannot apply the regulations to national markets, i.e. At home.

The key is the fact that they are Roaming Regulations makes that point.
    ====
    • Eurotraveller2
    • By Eurotraveller2 14th Oct 17, 12:19 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Eurotraveller2
    Calls from U.K. To EU not covered?
    I have just been charged £1.25 for a call from UK to France. O2 claims roaming regulations does not cover calls from home country elsewhere in Eu. In their answer to me they said Roaming is general term .... when travelling outside the geographical coverage of the home network by MEANS of using a visited network.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 14th Oct 17, 12:26 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I have just been charged £1.25 for a call from UK to France. O2 claims roaming regulations does not cover calls from home country elsewhere in Eu. In their answer to me they said Roaming is general term .... when travelling outside the geographical coverage of the home network by MEANS of using a visited network.
    Originally posted by Eurotraveller2
    Did you not even bother to read the 2 posts immediately before yours?
    • d123
    • By d123 14th Oct 17, 12:51 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 4,264 Thanks
    d123
    Originally posted by Eurotraveller2
    Try reading the thread.

Why would you even think you were roaming if you are on your home network???
    ====
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

108Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter