Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 13th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    • 59Posts
    • 22Thanks
    MSE Steve
    MSE News: 'Free' mobile roaming in the EU starts on Thursday
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:28 PM
    MSE News: 'Free' mobile roaming in the EU starts on Thursday 13th Jun 17 at 10:28 PM
    New European Union rules which come into effect this week will slash the cost of using your mobile in most parts of Europe...
    Read the full story:
    'Free' mobile roaming in the EU starts on Thursday - 10 things you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Page 1
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 13th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 12,117 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:40 PM
    Be careful!

I was in Rhodes and some days, my phone picked up Turkcell as the foreign network. The name gives it away - a Turkish mobile network. I always noticed this and resolved by switching my mobile off and on.

In September, I will be going to Croatia for a holiday. With two day trips to Bos-H and Montenegro. These two latter countries don't have the 'free' roaming etc. I will check when I return to the hotel, that I am on a Croatian network.

I wonder how many people have been caught out from visiting a different country or near a border to an non EEC country and made calls etc presuming they are on a EEC country's network?
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 14th Jun 17, 12:18 AM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:18 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:18 AM
    The next few months will show up just how bad most peoples grasp of geography is.

It cannot be stressed enough for people to check the actual list of included countries as published by their particular provider as there are many issues to trip up the unwary.

You need to be careful if you visit Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man as well as Monaco or Switzerland and use your phone while there. Some providers no longer count these as Europe and instead charge extortionate rates to make and receive calls, send text messages or use data.

You also need to be aware of countries that are never included such as Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus (North), Faroe Islands, Greenland, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine and several others.
    Last edited by Ian011; 17-06-2017 at 2:53 PM.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Jun 17, 4:23 AM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:23 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 4:23 AM
    Be careful!

I was in Rhodes and some days, my phone picked up Turkcell as the foreign network. The name gives it away - a Turkish mobile network. I always noticed this and resolved by switching my mobile off and on.

In September, I will be going to Croatia for a holiday. With two day trips to Bos-H and Montenegro. These two latter countries don't have the 'free' roaming etc. I will check when I return to the hotel, that I am on a Croatian network.

I wonder how many people have been caught out from visiting a different country or near a border to an non EEC country and made calls etc presuming they are on a EEC country's network?
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Instead of the default automatic network selection when roaming, a manual choice of network operator can be made in your phone's mobile networks settings. A scan is made and a list presented for you to select one (or revert to automatic). Using this should enable you to avoid straying onto the wrong networks across a border etc. I assume it's possible with any phone, including iPhones with which I have no experience.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 14th Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    Instead of the default automatic network selection when roaming, a manual choice of network operator can be made in your phone's mobile networks
    This is has been a fact of life around border areas in Northern Ireland and the Republic for the last 20 years with users having to manually lock onto their own network

At long last its free to auto roam around the border

Last edited by ballyblack; 14-06-2017 at 7:57 AM.
    • Delerium
    • By Delerium 14th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Delerium
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:25 AM
    My only advice is to look at your operators website to see which countries are included in the roaming changes. This does differ from operator to operator.

Its great news for mobile users but be aware that operators are allowed to enforce 'fair usage' and apply charges should you suddenly become a very heavy user in Europe.
    • andyuk2005
    • By andyuk2005 14th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    andyuk2005
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:26 AM
    I think there's a glaring mistake on those 10 points. It says:

'4. Calls to any EU number will come from your UK allowance, not just calls back to the UK. Until recently some providers' 'roam free' packages such as Three's Feel at Home let you use your UK calls allowance abroad - but only for calls back to the UK.

Yet under the new EU rules, while roaming in the EU you'll be able to call most landlines and mobiles within the EU (and in due course, Iceland, Liechenstein and Norway too) paying just what you'd pay in the UK - useful if you want to make a booking at the restaurant down the road, for example. Check if you're unsure though - some premium rate numbers for example will still cost more, even if there's no extra roaming charge.'

But I checked with the FAQ of my mobile provider (Plusnet) and it says that calls from my mobile to EU numbers are NOT included in my allowance. Also, on the EU website (http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/telecoms-internet/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm) it says:

'Calling another EU or non-EU country from home is not considered as roaming so the roam like at home rules don't apply. You should be aware that the prices for these calls are not regulated and can be expensive.'

Can someone from MSE check and find out if this is correct and update if necessary? I want to know if I can call EU numbers if they're included in my allowance!
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 14th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:53 AM
    The new rules have no effect on calling EU countries from the UK.

The rules affect making and receiving calls, sending and receiving text messages, and using data while you are outside of the UK. In selected countries (principally EU member states, later also EEA countries), you will pay the same for calls and texts to UK numbers as you do when using your phone in the UK. You will also pay the same for calls and texts to EU landline and mobile numbers and for data usage as you pay when you are calling and texting UK landline and mobile numbers from the UK and when using data in the UK.

It is imperative to inspect the list of included countries as published by your mobile provider. In many cases there are a number of exclusions such as Jersey, Guernsey, Isle of Man, Monaco, Switzerland, etc. and other countries such as Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus (North), Faroe Islands, Greenland, Kosovo, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine, and a number of others. These places are not part of the EU.
    Last edited by Ian011; 17-06-2017 at 3:12 PM. Reason: Information on inclusive allowances was incorrect. Rewritten.
    • Delerium
    • By Delerium 14th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Delerium
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    But I checked with the FAQ of my mobile provider (Plusnet) and it says that calls from my mobile to EU numbers are NOT included in my allowance. Also, on the EU website (http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/telecoms-internet/mobile-roaming-costs/index_en.htm) it says:

'Calling another EU or non-EU country from home is not considered as roaming so the roam like at home rules don't apply. You should be aware that the prices for these calls are not regulated and can be expensive.'

Can someone from MSE check and find out if this is correct and update if necessary? I want to know if I can call EU numbers if they're included in my allowance!
    Originally posted by andyuk2005
    I can confirm that a call from the UK to the EU is classed as an 'International call' and is therefore not a roaming call. These are not covered by the regulation.
    • tocheto
    • By tocheto 14th Jun 17, 2:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tocheto
    What about if a friend is in UK with EU sim and I call him.
    Will there be a charge or it will come from my bundle
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 14th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 3,226 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    ballyblack
    What about if a friend is in UK with EU sim and I call him.
    Will there be a charge or it will come from my bundle
    this is an international call and you are not roaming.

He is , so no cost to him
    • kishanpatel50
    • By kishanpatel50 14th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    kishanpatel50
    At first, Three told me that calling an EU number whilst i'm roaming in the EU would be classed as an international number.
    After getting through to the "Customer Relations" team, they correctly said that the EU to EU and EU to UK calls would come out of my normal minutes.

• Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 14th Jun 17, 8:01 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 417 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    At first, Three told me that calling an EU number whilst i'm roaming in the EU would be classed as an international number.
    After getting through to the "Customer Relations" team, they correctly said that the EU to EU and EU to UK calls would come out of my normal minutes.
    Originally posted by kishanpatel50
    Three and their web site are in disarray to say the least.

For example their PAYG rate to call Spain from the UK is 3p/min (no bundle, no special prefix). On a contract SIM it's 46p/min.

The roaming page for PAYG specifically states that you can use tethering in the EU, yet on an "advanced" contract you can only do that in the UK.

Maybe they will rewrite their web pages overnight to give clarity to the whole EU calling and roaming business.

On a positive note, on Three you can roam for "free" in the Channel Is and IOM.
    • MiserlyMartin
    • By MiserlyMartin 14th Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    MiserlyMartin
    "7. Brexit won't affect the new EU rules - for now. Right now, the UK's still a member of the EU, so the new rules apply to UK mobile users. When the UK leaves the EU, they won't. But it's not yet clear if that means mobile roaming costs will rocket, or if new arrangements will be put in place to keep them down."

Its obvious that Martin Lewis is a remoaner by writing this incorrect information. The UK, like Norway, Iceland etc, after we leave the EU will still be in the EEA therefore these prices will continue to apply to us. More scaremongering
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 15th Jun 17, 11:55 AM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    eDicky
    [B]
    Its obvious that Martin Lewis is a remoaner by writing this incorrect information. The UK, like Norway, Iceland etc, after we leave the EU will still be in the EEA therefore these prices will continue to apply to us.
    Originally posted by MiserlyMartin
    I admire your unique ability to foresee this with certainty. Or is it just wishful thinking?

'Roam like at home' is an EU directive, one of many that currently protect and benefit British consumers. Martin's information is not mistaken.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 15th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 6,145 Posts
    • 3,201 Thanks
    chattychappy
    'Roam like at home' is an EU directive, one of many that currently protect and benefit British consumers.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    Certainly those who regularly travel in Europe will benefit. Presumably the cost is now built into the pricing - so the cost is met by those who do not roam in Europe.

After Brexit, I see the options are:
    1) no replacement regulation - so it's up to the market
    2) some sort of deal with the EU ("soft" brexit?), so this directive still applies
    3) the effect of the directive is carried over via the so-called great repeal bill.
    4) home-grown regulation

Personally I favour a mix of (1) and (4).
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 16th Jun 17, 12:24 AM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    Ian011
    The UK will not be able to take a unilateral stance on roaming charges. If you think this, you have not understood how things work.
    • MiserlyMartin
    • By MiserlyMartin 16th Jun 17, 1:28 AM
    • 1,854 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    MiserlyMartin
    I admire your unique ability to foresee this with certainty. Or is it just wishful thinking?

'Roam like at home' is an EU directive, one of many that currently protect and benefit British consumers. Martin's information is not mistaken.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    You've completely ignored everything I said. We are in the EEA now and will continue to be even after a so called hardest of the "hard" brexit. Members of the EEA are included in this. In any case, after the election !!!! up, brexit looks like it will be a severely watered down fudge and the British people will have been betrayed.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 16th Jun 17, 2:02 AM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 930 Thanks
    Ian011
    Eh? At the current time, we are still in the EU and on the same terms as we were before.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 16th Jun 17, 2:30 AM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    eDicky
    You've completely ignored everything I said. We are in the EEA now and will continue to be even after a so called hardest of the "hard" brexit.
    Originally posted by MiserlyMartin
    I was referring exactly to what you said, not ignoring it, and impressed by the certainty of your prediction. But I see now that you lack understanding of the EEA and its provision for the free movement of persons, goods, services and capital within the European Single Market, as well as the freedom to choose residence in any EEA country. Remaining a member would be a 'soft' option - perhaps like most you were not aware of what you were voting to leave in the referendum.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

8,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin