Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • liammurphy
    • By liammurphy 13th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    liammurphy
    Barn Conversions Pros and Cons
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    Barn Conversions Pros and Cons 13th Jun 17 at 9:45 PM
    Hi,

I'm wondering if a few people can give me some advice on buying a barn conversion. I am looking to move in the next year although there is no rush. I like the appeal of living in a barn conversion but realize there maybe a few downfalls.

If anyone lives in a barn conversion and can give me some advice on what to look for and what it is like to live in that would be great.

Thanks
Page 1
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 14th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 1,321 Posts
    • 1,767 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:00 AM
    It depends on the specific barn conversion! We lived in one, but we built it. I hated it, room strange shapes and small winows. But some are done well, light and airy but with high ceilings so difficult to heat!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 22,603 Posts
    • 87,464 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:06 AM
    Barn conversions are as varied as 'detached houses' but it stands to reason that a building not designed for housing originally, and usually with some planning constraints on its conversion, may end up as a bit of a dog's dinner.

Further, if the conversion is done with profit in mind, then corners may be cut. For example, a group of conversions I know has an 'attractive' wavy roof created by retaining the original timbers and slates, but the refurb was cheap and foam was sprayed to keep everything in place, rather than re-roof with new felt & battens. Anyone who knows about foam spraying as a fix will testify to it being a bad idea in the long term, as the residents are now discovering.

Other problems include a lack of light when the planning has restricted the architect to original openings and roof lights, high vaulted ceilings, which look great and cost a lot to heat, and occasional 'upside down' designs where the bedrooms occupy the ground floor. The latter might improve the rural view, but it isn't the most practical for a rural lifestyle.

And the rural lifestyle is often what people in barn conversions seek, except that when a whole large farmyard has been done, they may end up like people on a modern housing estate, with close neighbours, arguments about parking, communal grounds to maintain and a management committee!

So, there isn't one description that fits all, but the more affordable barn conversions will likely have a few problems to look out for. I wouldn't want any I've seen locally that I could afford comfortably, although there are some nice individual ones well beyond my means.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,017Posts Today

6,737Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin