Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theanimallover
    • By theanimallover 13th Jun 17, 8:50 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 3Thanks
    theanimallover
    mileage advise please
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:50 PM
    mileage advise please 13th Jun 17 at 8:50 PM
    Hi, I have more than one job. The work I would like to ask about is for 3 days per week (26 hours), I work as a mobile cleaner.

I clean 5 sites, a couple of times each in the working week. It varies as to which site and order of sites - so it's regular but not that regular, some weeks I have to cover other sites too.

My employers give me 25p per mile. They have changed how they are paying for mileage it used to be from the office, now it is from the first site of the day. Office was 15 miles away, first site can be anything from 15-45 miles away.

My questions are: Can I claim any mileage from my home too (from hmrc - I know I'd have to minus what I am given)
    Should my work pay from my home as my place of work varies, or is this completely up to them?

thanks
Page 1
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 4,289 Posts
    • 25,916 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    No. This is your normal place of work?
    No one dreams of escape
    From the aroma of a cheap jar of coffee
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 13th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 290 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    I'd be very surprised. I work across multiple sites most days. My mileage scheme classifies the drive to the first site of the day as your commute to work, regardless of whether it's 6 miles (Monday) or 41 miles (Wednesday this week)I get mileage for journeys between sites, not from/to home.
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 13th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,060 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:34 PM
    I understand it is between sites, not home to site, thats normal travel that we ALL do.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 13th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:35 PM
    A factory in the North East said, "We aren't making you redundant, just changing your place of work, to Manilla". You have to either commute further, or move closer.

Depending on your car, and your private mileage ; it may be better to do a cost split calculation.
    • theanimallover
    • By theanimallover 13th Jun 17, 10:53 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    theanimallover
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:53 PM
    Geoff what does cost split calculation mean? Thanks.
    And thanks for your replies.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 14th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    • 6,056 Posts
    • 4,607 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:32 AM
    Report to office for starting time and begin day from there.
    • theanimallover
    • By theanimallover 14th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    theanimallover
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:35 AM
    Thanks, not sure that they would like me to do that as it means the company will have to give me more mileage.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 14th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 6,056 Posts
    • 4,607 Thanks
    ohreally
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:42 AM
    The issue is if their making, sit down and talk to them, put your case and perhaps common sense will prevail. If not, plan 'A' and leave from office.
    • Ryanfuego
    • By Ryanfuego 14th Jun 17, 9:44 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Ryanfuego
    In your situation I would go to employers and talk to them, offering what you think about and how you see perspectives.
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 14th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 18,503 Posts
    • 18,732 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    Do you do any admin from home? Can home be justifiably regarded as your base?

My reaction would be to ring HMRC and ask their advice. It doesn't seem right to me that your 'base' is somewhere different every day. I'm no expert, though!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • theanimallover
    • By theanimallover 14th Jun 17, 11:29 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    theanimallover
    Thanks all. I will talk to them. I do do admin from home, but it's not a requirement of the job.
    • Mrs.D
    • By Mrs.D 14th Jun 17, 8:17 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    Mrs.D
    Worth also noting that HMRC currently states that you can claim 45p per mile (up to 10,000 miles, after which the rate drops to 25p) if you drive a car or a van, 24p for a motorcycle and 20p for a bicycle for business purposes.

If your employer does not pay this rate, you can claim in a mileage allowance relief from HMRC, so effectively get the difference back through your tax code.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,971Posts Today

8,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin