Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 13th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    • 70Posts
    • 48Thanks
    Lauralou79
    Tumble dryers
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:30 PM
    Tumble dryers 13th Jun 17 at 7:30 PM
    I'm looking at buying a dryer for my new house.Looking for opinions on what's better the condenser or vented type?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 13th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 4,291 Posts
    • 3,248 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    Depends do you want to drill holes in your walls to vent the tumble dyer?
    • thescouselander
    • By thescouselander 13th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 4,631 Thanks
    thescouselander
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:06 PM
    In my experience vented dryers service faster than condensing ones so that's what I'd recommended. Also condensing dryers never seem to completely dry the air which then leads to condensation in the room where the dryer is situated.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 13th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:14 PM
    If you're going to be using it regularly then look at the new heat-pump condenser dryers - they're much more energy efficient that conventional condenser and vented dryers.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 13th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3,717 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    I have to agree with the above. Purely subjective ... but in my experience, vented dryers seem to dry quicker and more thoroughly than condensing ones. Plus they're cheaper to buy. Plus there are less gubbins inside to go wrong.

Yes, you have the hassle of sorting out the vent hole in the wall - but that's a once-only job. As long as you're in the house, even if you need to buy a new dryer down the line, odds on you can use the same vent hole.

Just my opinion.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 13th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 10,598 Posts
    • 7,115 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    Have you thought about a heat pump dryer?
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 13th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:33 PM
    To be honest I can't afford the most high tec or expensive. Theres only two of us so it won't be constantly used. Can facilitate a vented one of needs be. Just wondered what was better
    Last edited by Lauralou79; 13-06-2017 at 9:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 6,876 Posts
    • 18,301 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:45 PM
    I prefer the condenser type as the hole in the wall let other things in as well as hot wet air out.

However, with three lads there's a lot of laundry...
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Jun 17, 10:43 PM
    • 2,047 Posts
    • 2,853 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:43 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:43 PM
    Condenser dryer every time - it means your tumble dryer can go anywhere with a power socket and doesn't need to be vented through an outside wall. Keep the filter clean and empty the reservoir as necessary.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 13th Jun 17, 10:55 PM
    • 1,145 Posts
    • 1,068 Thanks
    Grenage
    We have a heat pump model, very pleased with the rubbing costs and results.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Jun 17, 6:28 AM
    • 29,175 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Heat pump will pay for itself in just a few years, there are relatively affordable models now.

We went for the Grundig with 5y warranty.

price watch for a while and use pricespy,
    https://pricespy.co.uk/category.php?k=514

the prices change by £100s on a lot of models depending on which sale cycle they are in.

our purchase was £400 but the price goes up to £550+ at times

The other advantage it can go just about anywhere only needs a power source, they do have a plumb in option for the water waste.

Speed of drying is not an issue if you plan. still only take 2 mins of real time, one to load and one to unload.

the 2 things to look at on condensers are the energy and the condensing efficiency(the amount of moisture they vent into the room)

For the standard 160 cycles typical HP will be around 250kwh regular condenser/vented 600kwh

start with Beko and price/performance/brand against them.
    http://www.beko.co.uk/appliances/laundry/tumble-dryers

Grundig are Beko+ with 5y warranty.

It might be that for you use, only 2 and if you can get you drying outside a lot of the year the saving per cycle may not be enough to justify a HP.

£150-£200 will buy a decent dryer a HP will be up around £300-£400 and up from there.

don't scrimp on the size go 8KG min to take a full double set of bedding.
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 14th Jun 17, 7:22 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    Wow can't afford 400 plus, we are furnishing a full house from scratch. Maybe in the future! The ones I have been looking at have been around £200. I have a 7kg washer now and that's more than enough for bedding, however most I've looked at have been 8kg anyway.
    Thanks all. Food for thought
    Last edited by Lauralou79; 14-06-2017 at 7:24 AM.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 14th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 947 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Think about if you actually do need one as they are expensive to run, noisy and big and don't tend to last that long.
    Do you have outside space you can hang clothes out for a good 8 months of the year?
    Do you have an airing cupboard or some space inside you can create an airing cupboard? If not, is there a laundrette local you can dry your washing?
    Once you go down the tumble dryer route it will drain you of thousands of pounds over the years.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • redlady_1
    • By redlady_1 14th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 13,735 Thanks
    redlady_1
    Ive had all three types. The vented gives the better drying capacity, the condenser was pretty loud and not that efficient and the heat pump was fine for two years and now the capacitor keeps going and therefore the drum wont turn (obviously another issue) and trying to find someone who can repair the heat pump is proving a problem. That said it is very efficient and I would definitely have another. I now dont have the option for a vented.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 29,175 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Wow can't afford 400 plus, we are furnishing a full house from scratch. Maybe in the future! The ones I have been looking at have been around £200. I have a 7kg washer now and that's more than enough for bedding, however most I've looked at have been 8kg anyway.
    Thanks all. Food for thought
    Originally posted by Lauralou79
    Stick a line up you have at least 4 months when you wont need a dryer.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 14th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 3,717 Posts
    • 3,105 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Think about if you actually do need one as they are expensive to run, noisy and big and don't tend to last that long.
    Do you have outside space you can hang clothes out for a good 8 months of the year?
    Do you have an airing cupboard or some space inside you can create an airing cupboard? If not, is there a laundrette local you can dry your washing?
    Once you go down the tumble dryer route it will drain you of thousands of pounds over the years.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    I agree with you in principle - however I think you're scaremongering somewhat.

We've had our tumble dryer for about 10 years now - a bog-standard vented model. It is a Bosch, which I believe have a decent reputation, and it wasn't the cheapest to buy - that said, it was pretty much the most basic in their range at the time. It's never missed a beat, and touch wood is still going strong. Sure, all our stuff goes out on the line when the weather permits, but we use the dryer when needed. And living in Scotland, that's quite often

I think the rough ball-park figure is something like 60p per load to run a dryer - obviously that varies a huge amount depending upon the type of laundry, the tariff you're on, and the efficiency of the model. But it's a starting point.

Sure, a dryer is not the cheapest appliance in the house - but it's not "hundreds of pounds a year" territory - unless it's on all day every day.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • missprice
    • By missprice 14th Jun 17, 7:31 PM
    • 3,160 Posts
    • 88,414 Thanks
    missprice
    I had vented for about 20 years, due to a house move I now have a condenser, can't fault it.
    Currently not plumbed in so I empty the reservoir onto the plants outside.
    Both have pluses and minuses but I am happy with condenser. Would have gone for vented again but the hole in the wall would impact the driveway and we live next to woods so mice and voles are in abundance
    It was about £300
    94 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
    • Lauralou79
    • By Lauralou79 14th Jun 17, 8:42 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Lauralou79
    I don't have a garden or dryer now as live in a flat. However we will have space for a dryer in the utility room so might as well. It won't be used daily but be more for things like bedding and towels and clothes that don't shrink! And we live in the north of England I wouldn't class outdoor drying as that reliable a source tbh!
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 15th Jun 17, 6:16 AM
    • 29,175 Posts
    • 17,456 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Can you DIY the hole in the wall?

If not put that cost towards a condenser.

vented and condenser cost about the same to run as they both use a heater.

if you have plumbing in the utility make sure the dryer has that option unless you want to save the water from the tank.

if you have the space in a utility a hanging airer and dehumidifier will work.

Around £200 you have loads of choice, it is just a waiting game for a deal.
    (keep an eye on codes and cashbacks)

Helps to have a washer with a low residual moisture rating.

have a look at for an example of deals that will be out there.
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/indesit-ecotime-condenser-tumble-dryer-idc-8t3-b-white-153-09-delivered-tesco-direct-2699160

or look around for graded stock.
    • Annie1960
    • By Annie1960 18th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    Annie1960
    I considered a dryer for my new kitchen. Even though there is plenty of space, I decided against for reasons of safety.

Just make sure you check out the safety record of whatever brand you get, and keep an eye on it when in use.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,070Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin