Why have holiday cost gone up so much

Looking for next year holiday and the prices seem extortionate.
Went to Mexico last year and same time, same hotel etc is coming at at 2k more.

Friends went to Dominican and the again same hotel and time nearly 3k more than what they paid.

Grantee, those of for nice all inclusive but even comparing all self catering, long and short haul they all seem a lot more now.

Is this the norm now and we are paying extra. Or will they likely to drop a bit.

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The dismal value of the pound is one significant factor and of course since we decided that the rest of the world didn't matter, holiday providers have been turning the spotlight elsewhere.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Another cost of people voting to leave Europe
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • jonnyb1978
    jonnyb1978 Posts: 1,350
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Honestly don't buy into that. Nothings changed as of yet but more like cashing in on the excuses. 2k is a lot. Certainly too much for any loss of value in the pound. Without getting turning it into a Brexit and politics debate I guess that's just the way it is.

Just priced one up 2 adults and 2 kids (10&16)..2 Rooms they have allocated. £5500

Same holiday for 3 adults and 1 child (10) Same 2 rooms but £7500.

This can not just be the difference in child to adult price as it's way to much. Child price would have to be around £300.

Excuse my ignorance, as I have not got a clue how holidays are priced. There is probably a reasonable explanation.
  • Duckyduck
    Duckyduck Posts: 269
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Without going into an essay, the value of the pound has dropped significantly since Brexit. Whatever your personal opinion on the consequences of Brexit, the markets didn't like it and the pound has dropped. Oil for the plane is priced in USD, if it's a foreign airline you'll be taking a hit thanks to the exchange rate, the hotels, everything priced in local currency will appear more expensive than this time last year. Last year British travel agents may have absorbed the costs themselves but are unable to do that any longer.

Then there's the demand side, previously popular destinations like Turkey and Egypt are much less popular now and so it pushes demand elsewhere. Without more supply of alternative holidays, demand pushes up prices.

If you don't want to pay the high price, then don't. If enough people make the same decision prices will fall again. A last minute bargain might happen, but you have to accept that you might just end up losing out on a holiday.
    Save £12k in 2019 #36
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Forumite
    Duckyduck wrote: »
    Without going into an essay, the value of the pound has dropped significantly since Brexit. Whatever your personal opinion on the consequences of Brexit, the markets didn't like it and the pound has dropped. Oil for the plane is priced in USD, if it's a foreign airline you'll be taking a hit thanks to the exchange rate, the hotels, everything priced in local currency will appear more expensive than this time last year. Last year British travel agents may have absorbed the costs themselves but are unable to do that any longer.

Then there's the demand side, previously popular destinations like Turkey and Egypt are much less popular now and so it pushes demand elsewhere. Without more supply of alternative holidays, demand pushes up prices.

If you don't want to pay the high price, then don't. If enough people make the same decision prices will fall again. A last minute bargain might happen, but you have to accept that you might just end up losing out on a holiday.

Hasn't the oil price dropped too?

I agree that places that have as yet not had many terrorists attacks have shot up in price compared to the old favourites.

Up to the consumer to decide whether the price is worth paying or booking elsewhere.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,903
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Much of the Caribbean and Mexico will be contracted by tour operators in USD$ so with the weak GBP£ at the moment the cost of holidays to certain destinations will be higher next year.

I would agree that an increase of £2k is excessive. I would suspect with currency movement and general increases with Mexican hotel rates, ground costs and aviation fuel also being purchased in USD$ that year-on-year holiday costs could translate into +15% / +20%.
  • Teahfc
    Teahfc Posts: 1,465
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    steve1500 wrote: »
    Another cost of people voting to leave Europe

We are not leaving Europe ! Europe is a continent! We have voted as a nation to leave the EU single market. If we leave Europe where do you suggest we go ? North America?
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Forumite
    edited 14 June 2017 at 1:06AM
    Teahfc wrote: »
    We are not leaving Europe ! Europe is a continent! We have voted as a nation to leave the EU single market. If we leave Europe where do you suggest we go ? North America?

Plenty who voted would not be able to discern the difference TBH - they just seem to want to disconnect completely from everywhere funny and foreign.

Either way, the pound is down, the number of people booking holidays abroad has already dropped markedly, whilst home-market tourism has risen apace and most of the big holiday providers are rapidly readjusting themselves back to the idea of a mass-market that holidays at home.

e277b4f7da56cd7f304f48bed2b55412.jpg

Time to be buying shares in Butlins, seaside chalets and Centre Parcs maybe..?
  • marvin
    marvin Posts: 2,185
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hasn't the oil price dropped too?

Oil has risen from its lows due to agreements between producing countries to produce less. It is however around where it was 12 months ago it is bouncing above and below a $50 axis.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,069
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Is the pound not up on the Dollar since last year?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure