Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jonnyb1978
    • By jonnyb1978 13th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 1,312Posts
    • 374Thanks
    jonnyb1978
    0 WOW
    Why have holiday cost gone up so much
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    0 WOW
    Why have holiday cost gone up so much 13th Jun 17 at 6:52 PM
    Looking for next year holiday and the prices seem extortionate.
    Went to Mexico last year and same time, same hotel etc is coming at at 2k more.

Friends went to Dominican and the again same hotel and time nearly 3k more than what they paid.

Grantee, those of for nice all inclusive but even comparing all self catering, long and short haul they all seem a lot more now.

Is this the norm now and we are paying extra. Or will they likely to drop a bit.
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 7,513 Posts
    • 7,550 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:00 PM
    The dismal value of the pound is one significant factor and of course since we decided that the rest of the world didn't matter, holiday providers have been turning the spotlight elsewhere.
    • steve1500
    • By steve1500 13th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    steve1500
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    Another cost of people voting to leave Europe
    Private Parking Tickets is my way of telling the wife to use her car and not mine
    • jonnyb1978
    • By jonnyb1978 13th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    jonnyb1978
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:25 PM
    Honestly don't buy into that. Nothings changed as of yet but more like cashing in on the excuses. 2k is a lot. Certainly too much for any loss of value in the pound. Without getting turning it into a Brexit and politics debate I guess that's just the way it is.

Just priced one up 2 adults and 2 kids (10&16)..2 Rooms they have allocated. £5500

Same holiday for 3 adults and 1 child (10) Same 2 rooms but £7500.

This can not just be the difference in child to adult price as it's way to much. Child price would have to be around £300.

Excuse my ignorance, as I have not got a clue how holidays are priced. There is probably a reasonable explanation.
    • Duckyduck
    • By Duckyduck 13th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 78 Thanks
    Duckyduck
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    Without going into an essay, the value of the pound has dropped significantly since Brexit. Whatever your personal opinion on the consequences of Brexit, the markets didn't like it and the pound has dropped. Oil for the plane is priced in USD, if it's a foreign airline you'll be taking a hit thanks to the exchange rate, the hotels, everything priced in local currency will appear more expensive than this time last year. Last year British travel agents may have absorbed the costs themselves but are unable to do that any longer.

Then there's the demand side, previously popular destinations like Turkey and Egypt are much less popular now and so it pushes demand elsewhere. Without more supply of alternative holidays, demand pushes up prices.

If you don't want to pay the high price, then don't. If enough people make the same decision prices will fall again. A last minute bargain might happen, but you have to accept that you might just end up losing out on a holiday.
    Save £12k in 2017 #10
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 13th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 23,977 Posts
    • 11,263 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    Without going into an essay, the value of the pound has dropped significantly since Brexit. Whatever your personal opinion on the consequences of Brexit, the markets didn't like it and the pound has dropped. Oil for the plane is priced in USD, if it's a foreign airline you'll be taking a hit thanks to the exchange rate, the hotels, everything priced in local currency will appear more expensive than this time last year. Last year British travel agents may have absorbed the costs themselves but are unable to do that any longer.

Then there's the demand side, previously popular destinations like Turkey and Egypt are much less popular now and so it pushes demand elsewhere. Without more supply of alternative holidays, demand pushes up prices.

If you don't want to pay the high price, then don't. If enough people make the same decision prices will fall again. A last minute bargain might happen, but you have to accept that you might just end up losing out on a holiday.
    Originally posted by Duckyduck
    Hasn't the oil price dropped too?

I agree that places that have as yet not had many terrorists attacks have shot up in price compared to the old favourites.

Up to the consumer to decide whether the price is worth paying or booking elsewhere.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Westin
    • By Westin 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    Westin
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:27 PM
    Much of the Caribbean and Mexico will be contracted by tour operators in USD$ so with the weak GBP£ at the moment the cost of holidays to certain destinations will be higher next year.

I would agree that an increase of £2k is excessive. I would suspect with currency movement and general increases with Mexican hotel rates, ground costs and aviation fuel also being purchased in USD$ that year-on-year holiday costs could translate into +15% / +20%.
    • Teahfc
    • By Teahfc 13th Jun 17, 11:48 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 2,095 Thanks
    Teahfc
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:48 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:48 PM
    Another cost of people voting to leave Europe
    Originally posted by steve1500
    We are not leaving Europe ! Europe is a continent! We have voted as a nation to leave the EU single market. If we leave Europe where do you suggest we go ? North America?
    "Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to complain."

''Money can't buy you happiness but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.''
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 14th Jun 17, 1:55 AM
    • 7,513 Posts
    • 7,550 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:55 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:55 AM
    We are not leaving Europe ! Europe is a continent! We have voted as a nation to leave the EU single market. If we leave Europe where do you suggest we go ? North America?
    Originally posted by Teahfc
    Plenty who voted would not be able to discern the difference TBH - they just seem to want to disconnect completely from everywhere funny and foreign.

Either way, the pound is down, the number of people booking holidays abroad has already dropped markedly, whilst home-market tourism has risen apace and most of the big holiday providers are rapidly readjusting themselves back to the idea of a mass-market that holidays at home.

Time to be buying shares in Butlins, seaside chalets and Centre Parcs maybe..?
    Last edited by pogofish; 14-06-2017 at 2:06 AM.
    • marvin
    • By marvin 14th Jun 17, 2:28 AM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 3,172 Thanks
    marvin
    Hasn't the oil price dropped too?
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever
    Oil has risen from its lows due to agreements between producing countries to produce less. It is however around where it was 12 months ago it is bouncing above and below a $50 axis.
    I started with nothing and I am proud to say I still have most of it left.
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 14th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    Ganga
    Is the pound not up on the Dollar since last year?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • alanrowell
    • By alanrowell 14th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 5,263 Posts
    • 2,017 Thanks
    alanrowell
    Is the pound not up on the Dollar since last year?
    Originally posted by Ganga
    $1.49 - £1 this time last year
    $1.28 - £1 today

US has just put interest rates up which normally means the dollar rises against other currency
    Last edited by alanrowell; 14-06-2017 at 7:13 PM.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 14th Jun 17, 8:39 PM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    slinga
    Maybe it's just flights from UK.
    Met a couple in Bolgna a few days ago and he said he had flown there from Eindhoven for Euro 15.

Now I was so gobsmacked that I didn't ask if that was return or included tax etc etc because our flight from Bristol to Pisa was £200 pp return all in iirc. I don't think he was BS ing me either. No reason for it.

Also just been to Lerici for the day and the beaches there were as packed as those in UK used to be 60 years ago.
    Last edited by slinga; 14-06-2017 at 8:41 PM.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 15th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 1,119 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    Westin
    Maybe it's just flights from UK.
    Met a couple in Bolgna a few days ago and he said he had flown there from Eindhoven for Euro 15.

Now I was so gobsmacked that I didn't ask if that was return or included tax etc etc because our flight from Bristol to Pisa was £200 pp return all in iirc. I don't think he was BS ing me either. No reason for it.

Also just been to Lerici for the day and the beaches there were as packed as those in UK used to be 60 years ago.
    Originally posted by slinga

There has been no change in Euro to Euro! Netherlands to Italy.

It is GBP£ that has lost value against the USD$, EUR€ ( to a lesser degree) and other currencies.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 15th Jun 17, 1:00 PM
    • 18,482 Posts
    • 42,391 Thanks
    peachyprice
    It's plain and simple, holiday companies are charging more because they can. They're using Brexit as an excuse, it's certainly no reason for holidays to Europe to be more expensive, the £ roughly is the same against the Euro as it was between 2009 - 2014, it was only in 2015 that exchanged rates artificially rose.

Independent travellers can still manage to get holidays at around the same price, but those who wish to use tour operators are being ripped off because the TO's know they can get away with is.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 15th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Given that holidays are a luxury, holiday companies will hopefully have shot themselves in the foot as people simply won't go away. Then there will be a glut off holidays which will have to be sold of cheaply
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 15th Jun 17, 4:30 PM
    • 7,281 Posts
    • 12,054 Thanks
    andrewf75
    We are not leaving Europe ! Europe is a continent! We have voted as a nation to leave the EU single market.
    No, we've voted to leave the EU not necessarily the single market.

It is possible to be outside the EU and still in the single market like Norway and Switzerland. The so-called soft brexit.

Not trying to be pedantic, it is an important distinction.
    • sillygoose
    • By sillygoose 16th Jun 17, 3:13 PM
    • 3,855 Posts
    • 3,821 Thanks
    sillygoose
    It's plain and simple, holiday companies are charging more because they can. They're using Brexit as an excuse, it's certainly no reason for holidays to Europe to be more expensive, the £ roughly is the same against the Euro as it was between 2009 - 2014, it was only in 2015 that exchanged rates artificially rose.

Independent travellers can still manage to get holidays at around the same price, but those who wish to use tour operators are being ripped off because the TO's know they can get away with is.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Totally agree. We are having the same holiday as last year but without spending more. Main difference this year though is cutting out the middle man a bit. Booked flights directly, booked accommodation directly with the hotel, arranged transfer locally via the helpful hotel people.

The only reason its not actually worked out a lot cheaper was it was a later decision to go so flights had started to rise. If we had booked as early as we usually do we would have saved a lot.

One caveat is of course buyer beware, the place we are staying we know and have experience of, I trust them fully. Also expenditure will be dearer on holiday due to the poor exchange rates, that could have been averted a lot if I had clicked 'buy Euro' on the app a minute before that damn exit poll was published!
    • slinga
    • By slinga 18th Jun 17, 8:05 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    slinga
    There has been no change in Euro to Euro! Netherlands to Italy.

It is GBP£ that has lost value against the USD$, EUR€ ( to a lesser degree) and other currencies.
    Originally posted by Westin
    Ehh??

That's not what I was saying.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 18th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 22,277 Posts
    • 57,119 Thanks
    pollypenny

Did that make you feel better?
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

1,348Users online

Martin's Twitter