Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Goldfynche
    • By Goldfynche 13th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Goldfynche
    0 WOW
    Gluten Free
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    0 WOW
    Gluten Free 13th Jun 17 at 5:20 PM
    Hi. This is my 1st post as have just joined and haven't found this subject elsewhere.
    My daughter is on a gluten free diet, so is restricted somewhat with her food intake.
    We live in the central highlands of Scotland and have a Co-op and a Tescos express in our village and both, commendably have a modest g/f section. The nearest large town Stirling, is 15 miles away. We have only found a g/f section in two supermarkets there. Morrisons and Sainsburys.
    With the former, by far, offering the best value! About the most ridiculous price we saw, I think, was a small loaf of bread. About 10 slices for £3.00. Morrisons appear to have taken this on board with the greatest enthusiasm and now after a recent refurbishment, have one side of an entire eisle stocked with G/F
Page 1
    • PennyForThem
    • By PennyForThem 14th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 521 Thanks
    PennyForThem
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    Glutten Free
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    Do you have a Marks & Spencer? A celiac colleague says that M&S have embraced GF and that they have a wide range. If you do have M&S then I suggest contacting them via email to check
    • Goldfynche
    • By Goldfynche 14th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Goldfynche
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    Thankyou. There are a couple of accessible M&S not too far away. The food hall in Stirling didn't have a lot of choice.
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 14th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 1,219 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:42 PM
    I have the same problem. my local Tesco sell sandwich thins in white, wholemeal and seeded at £1.60. they are really nice. M and S also sell these.
    It's a bit of trial and error. I've written a list of all the nice products that I've found and although some of the good breads are a bit pricier they have a long shelf life and I always freeze some too.

if you have a home bargains near by and scour the shelves they often have nakd bars and other gluten free goodies on sale.

as a treat every now and again there is a website called the gluten free kitchen which sell amazing bakery products but you do have to make an order of £20.
    365 day penny challenge - £200.19/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £440.00.00/£1000 Stage 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 14th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 6:49 PM
    Tesco Stirling certainly have Free From foods, and you may find a larger range in the Alloa superstore. Alloa also has good yellow sticker reductions on bakery from about 5 pm.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 26th Jun 17, 11:08 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    • 26th Jun 17, 11:08 PM
    • 26th Jun 17, 11:08 PM
    M&S stuff is wheat free but that's not as strict as gluten free IIRC
    • DRFC1879
    • By DRFC1879 4th Jul 17, 3:10 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    DRFC1879
    • 4th Jul 17, 3:10 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 3:10 PM
    Mrs 1879 is coeliac and missed her weekend pizza treats with the range of gluten free alternatives being pretty rank but she recently discovered the Goodfella's range and they're delicious. Usually priced about £3 and they actually taste like proper pizza!
    • soolin
    • By soolin 4th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 59,259 Posts
    • 42,002 Thanks
    soolin
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:24 PM
    M&S stuff is wheat free but that's not as strict as gluten free IIRC
    Originally posted by Gnocchi
    M and S do a huge amount of gluten free goods, labelled as such amongst their normal products. All of which are suitable for someone with coeliac disease. Look for gluten free not wheat fee, they are entirely different things.

Virtually all the M and S sausages and burgers are now gf, they do fish cakes, chicken nuggets, fish in batter the lot. At Christmas they even have mini party sausage toads which are lovely.

If you look at their dedicated gf range they now have a fair assortment from lasagne to chicken in black bean sauce with rice, various pasta dishes, apples pies, cheesecake etc.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 4th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 7,505 Posts
    • 7,923 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4th Jul 17, 7:58 PM
    Mrs 1879 is coeliac and missed her weekend pizza treats with the range of gluten free alternatives being pretty rank
    Originally posted by DRFC1879
    Pizza Express do gluten-free pizza; I don't know how they compare on taste, but at least you'd get the eating-in-a-pizza-restaurant experience.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 6th Jul 17, 9:59 AM
    • 59,259 Posts
    • 42,002 Thanks
    soolin
    Pizza Express do gluten-free pizza; I don't know how they compare on taste, but at least you'd get the eating-in-a-pizza-restaurant experience.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Pizza express gf pizza is gorgeous .
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Jul 17, 12:44 PM
    • 30,094 Posts
    • 19,049 Thanks
    DCFC79
    There's also items that maybe you wouldn't think they are GF because they aren't located in the GF section for example Aunt Bessies frozen roast potatoes are, in fact theres a Gluten Free section on the AB website.
    Last edited by DCFC79; 07-07-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • mcmanlyn
    • By mcmanlyn 7th Jul 17, 4:27 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    mcmanlyn
    Not sure if you've done this already but these 2 links are great resources - join & they'll send you a good pack of gluten freebies! Should certainly last a while & really helped me out when I was 1st diagnosed

https://www.juvela.co.uk/just-diagnosed-with-coeliac-disease/register-for-your-free-juvela-starter-pack/

https://www.glutafin.co.uk/register/

Also, watch out for gluten free food fairs in your area (I usually find them by following gluten free brands on facebook & twitter). The foods there are usually much cheaper & you can sample different brands to see what your daughter prefers.
    Wondering how to have a life & not rack up more debts...
    • haycorns
    • By haycorns 15th Jul 17, 10:53 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    haycorns
    m&S dine in for £10 is good for GF this time . For a main you can have 2 GF lasgane, for dessert the new york cheesecake. We have potao rosti things for our side and then there is wine, or elderflower presse type drinks. For GF thts good value. I agree that M & S have an excellent range for variety.
    • Squirrel2000
    • By Squirrel2000 16th Jul 17, 12:34 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Squirrel2000
    Justglutenfree.co.uk are a gluten free bakery based in Glasgow who have a delivery service, if it helps. Also, possible to collect in person, if you live nearby.
    • Squirrel2000
    • By Squirrel2000 16th Jul 17, 12:48 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Squirrel2000
    If you go past an Aldi, try their gluten free ginger cookies. Delicious.
    • Squirrel2000
    • By Squirrel2000 16th Jul 17, 1:13 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Squirrel2000
    For gluten free eating out, Zizzi; Tony Macaroni ( Scotland) ; Pho, Pizza Express, Wagamama, Banana Tree, Pumpkin Brown (Edinburgh)

Gluten free cake at Cuckoo's Bakery Edinburgh,
    Patisserie Valerie now have gluten free celebration cakes to order and sell gluten free cupcakes, flapjacks etc in store.
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 5th Aug 17, 12:35 AM
    • 660 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    Gluten free finds
    Goodfellas now does a couple of frozen gluten-free pizzas, spotted in Lidl today. It's organic and gluten free week at Lidl so quite a lot of stuff.

Spotted in Tesco today, a bottled gluten free version of Old Speckled Hen which made husband's day. It was on offer I think, 1.49
    • Viking_mfw
    • By Viking_mfw 7th Aug 17, 10:30 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 264 Thanks
    Viking_mfw
    Did my shop at Morrisons this week and discovered an entirely separate GF freezer section which included own brand gf curly fries. Other standard Schar and quorn products cheaper than Sainsburys (and more choice). Worth checking out.
    • Gnocchi
    • By Gnocchi 8th Aug 17, 5:55 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    Gnocchi
    Thanks Viking !
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 11th Aug 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1,396 Posts
    • 2,729 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    Aldi have a range of gluten free products. It looks like one of their occassional offers. I saw some Lentil pasta amonst other things. (sorry not much help, but I don't need to use gluten free foods, they just caught my eye, because of the red colour.)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,524Posts Today

7,543Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin