Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mambo69
    • By mambo69 13th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 422Posts
    • 115Thanks
    mambo69
    Focus st query
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    Focus st query 13th Jun 17 at 4:58 PM
    Hi all

Looking at buying a 2013 focus st but a colleague posed an interesting query. My daily commute is about 3 miles max along 40 limit roads. Based on this i will never get car up operating temperature days i use

Based on this would that make the st a bad choice and in fact rule out cars of this ilk?

Interested in any feedback and always thanks
Page 2
    • Jono987
    • By Jono987 14th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 74 Thanks
    Jono987
    This forum is getting worse and worse. Someone asks a question and gets attacked for being lazy?
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 14th Jun 17, 12:35 PM
    • 4,148 Posts
    • 3,488 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    This forum is getting worse and worse. Someone asks a question and gets attacked for being lazy?
    Originally posted by Jono987
    To be fair, anyone who says they want to use a car for a three mile commute (which after all is walkable in an hour or cycle-able in 20 mins) without giving any other details, does come across as a little bit 'exercise-shy'...

Drip feed information, and assumptions will be made. It's not just this forum, it's the way the world works.
    • mambo69
    • By mambo69 14th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    mambo69
    Fair point. I Leave my house at 7.45 after getting the kid's ready to school and starry work at 8. My car is also the family vehicle at weekends so any trips or busting the in-laws who live forty minutes away is in my car, and we visit them once or twice a month.
    • Mobeer
    • By Mobeer 14th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 4,357 Thanks
    Mobeer
    Just avoid getting a STD (or whatever the diesel version of the ST is called).
    • z1a
    • By z1a 14th Jun 17, 7:41 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    z1a
    I did 1.2 miles 4 times a day in a Saab turbo for 7 years, never caused any problems. Did tend to use it properly at weekends though.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 15th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 6,865 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Turbos spin (very, VERY fast) the entire time the engine's running.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Turbos turn at anything up to 120K RPM (exc. really high end stuff) and reach that from idle RPM in 1-2 seconds. Even at idle, the turbo cartridge is turning at thousands of RPM.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    So operating temperature is a red-herring then? Or is the point that you shouldn't floor it until the engine is warm? The question is then will the OP ever need/use any boost... which is what I was saying about my previous commute. I got more use out of the stop-start system!
    One day I'll think of something witty - Apparently I have!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jun 17, 9:11 AM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 12,695 Thanks
    AdrianC
    No, operating temperature is far from a red herring. It's very, very important. Just spinning is not the same as spinning under load.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 15th Jun 17, 12:15 PM
    • 933 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Just avoid getting a STD (or whatever the diesel version of the ST is called).
    Originally posted by Mobeer
    Must resist a durex joke...
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 15th Jun 17, 12:25 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 6,865 Thanks
    NBLondon
    No, operating temperature is far from a red herring. It's very, very important. Just spinning is not the same as spinning under load.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Ye-e-es I got that bit. So on a slow commute in stop-start traffic, is the turbine under any significant load or not? If it isn't - then the OP has less to worry about temperature. If it is, then surely there would be huge warnings in the manual about not driving off until the temperature reaches a certain level. There aren't any in mine...

I do see the other end of it from time to time - stopping after a long run/hot day and the cooling system keeps going even after hitting the Engine Stop - which I've always assumed is to protect the turbo or related components.
    One day I'll think of something witty - Apparently I have!
    • almillar
    • By almillar 15th Jun 17, 12:47 PM
    • 6,877 Posts
    • 2,733 Thanks
    almillar
    For a 3 mile commute I wouldn't want anything other than a tiny-engined petrol car. Anything else will give dire fuel consumption and be quickly ruined by those kinds of runs.
    That tiny engined petrol car will have similar problems to any other petrol car.

An electric car would be the logical alternative - no warm up issues with engine or cat, nor wear/charging issues on the (12v) battery.

Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, BMW i3, Kia Soul EV, Hyundai Ioniq.

You could even go hybrid and never use the petrol motor for your commute - Mitsubishi Outlander etc.
    I have 2 children so after work i need to pick them up from the childminder. This is not possible on a bike.
    You missed that from your first post if you don't want bike suggestions!

Driving three urban miles each way, twice a day, five days a week, is a very quick way to kill any car.
    Not an electric one.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 15th Jun 17, 5:20 PM
    • 32,206 Posts
    • 26,957 Thanks
    custardy
    There some people here who are so rude making a judgement on a person they have never met. I am surprised anyone ever asks for advise.

I have 2 children so after work i need to pick them up from the childminder. This is not possible on a bike.

Thanks for the informed opinions about the question i asked
    Originally posted by mambo69
    I think you mean not practical,rather than not possible
    Last edited by custardy; 16-06-2017 at 8:19 AM.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Jun 17, 9:26 PM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 12,695 Thanks
    AdrianC
    So on a slow commute in stop-start traffic, is the turbine under any significant load or not?
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Depends entirely on their driving. If they accelerate hard out of every junction, scream up to the back of stationary traffic, and hammer the anchors on, then... yes. If they just gently tickle along, then no.
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 15th Jun 17, 11:30 PM
    • 224 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    A Diesel has no throttle, so the air throughput depends only on the rpm. A petrol has a throttle, to keep the mixture constant, so the air throughput depends on how hard the engine is working. That in turn means at low effort, the turbo won't be spinning fast, and its oil needs are lower.

So if you are gently driving your kids to and from school, it won't matter so much that its cold. The problem also isn't the poor fuel economy, its the tax, insurance, maintenance and depreciation, being divided over so few miles, that the cost / mile is worse than a stretch limo. However, if you enjoy being in it, and gets some miles in otherwise, then why not ? I once had a big car and a small car ; but denying myself the big one for a journey, wasn't worth the financial saving.
    • mambo69
    • By mambo69 16th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    mambo69
    Thanks for all the input. Electric car not a option as i don't habe a charging point and my house is a good 100 yards fron where i park.

Still tempted with the st as i can drive sensibly when needed. However the inputs around damage with the low miles and not bringing the temperature up has tempered that.

For the people saying i don't need a car that could be applied to most people who live and work local. I have decided the laziness of a car suits me and the call now is which one
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 16th Jun 17, 6:35 PM
    • 14,354 Posts
    • 12,695 Thanks
    AdrianC
    For the people saying i don't need a car that could be applied to most people who live and work local.
    Originally posted by mambo69
    Yes, it could.

Just think how much better our cities would be for it. And our health.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 16th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 6,207 Thanks
    Strider590
    A petrol car is a petrol car, whether it's a tiny little 1000cc or Focus ST. A diesel would be your worst choice.

In 2001 I lived 3.8 miles from work, I commuted in a Westfield kitcar 2 days a week and I cycled the rest, I then cycled all through winter, unless it was snowing and then I walked (1 hour walk).
    The car did get a good long run every weekend though......

I now work 20 miles away, I drive every day and i'm feeling horribly unfit
    Having the last word isn't the same as being right.......

"Never confuse education with intelligence"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,951Posts Today

8,267Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kcbelsham: @MartinSLewis . This Account would have to pay at least 12% to achieve £1 million in 35 years . Any ideas ( think it is impo?

• Really? The highest interest rate amount for that volume of cash currently is 2%? You'd need an interest rate explo? https://t.co/6YRk1wLdTl

• Today's Twitter poll: Is it acceptable to take your shirt off and go topless in the street when it's scorching in the UK?

• Follow Martin