Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mambo69
    • By mambo69 13th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 427Posts
    • 116Thanks
    mambo69
    Focus st query
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    Focus st query 13th Jun 17 at 4:58 PM
    Hi all

Looking at buying a 2013 focus st but a colleague posed an interesting query. My daily commute is about 3 miles max along 40 limit roads. Based on this i will never get car up operating temperature days i use

Based on this would that make the st a bad choice and in fact rule out cars of this ilk?

Interested in any feedback and always thanks
Page 1
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    Hi all

Looking at buying a 2013 focus st but a colleague posed an interesting query. My daily commute is about 3 miles max along 40 limit roads. Based on this i will never get car up operating temperature days i use

Based on this would that make the st a bad choice and in fact rule out cars of this ilk?

Interested in any feedback and always thanks
    Originally posted by mambo69
    For a 3 mile commute I wouldn't want anything other than a tiny-engined petrol car. Anything else will give dire fuel consumption and be quickly ruined by those kinds of runs.

I certainly wouldn't want anything with a turbo. In that amount of time the poor thing would almost never see clean, warm oil.

For that kind of driving, I'd recommend a bicycle. Or if you absolutely MUST shirk any exercise, maybe a 50cc moped.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,636 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:41 PM
    For a 3 mile commute I wouldn't want anything other than a tiny-engined petrol car. Anything else will give dire fuel consumption and be quickly ruined by those kinds of runs.

I certainly wouldn't want anything with a turbo. In that amount of time the poor thing would almost never see clean, warm oil.

For that kind of driving, I'd recommend a bicycle. Or if you absolutely MUST shirk any exercise, maybe a 50cc moped.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    This, with bells on.

A three mile urban commute is ridiculously bad for any car.
    • caprikid1
    • By caprikid1 13th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    caprikid1
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:47 PM
    Yep

TVR + Bicycle
    Sierra Cosworth + Toyota Aygo
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 13th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 8,119 Thanks
    wymondham
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:55 PM
    Depends on your route ...
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 13th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 25,877 Posts
    • 10,303 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:01 PM
    I used to have to jump on the motorway and take the very long way home because my sub 6 mile commute didnt get the oil warm and if not given a run the tappets used to get a little noisy towards the end of the week.

Touch under 70mph in 2nd (auto), couple of junctions up the motorway and then back again. Not good for a car at all. I was changing the oil 4 times a year and barely covering 6000 miles all in.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 13th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:34 PM
    If its just for your commute then it seems like a waste of money. If you do a fair amount of miles at evening and weekends and you would get sufficient enjoyment and can justify the price, then go for it.

Regardless of what car you get, I would cycle as much as you can. Short journeys are not good for anything with an engine.

I dont agree that fuel consumption is an issue, yes it will be low. But if they can afford to buy and run an ST, I dont think op is going to be bothered that it costs them £8 (20mpg) a week in petrol rather than £4 (40mpg).
    • tim9966
    • By tim9966 13th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    tim9966
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    It should be ok. I also have a 2013 ST although my commute is 10 miles at the moment, but when I move house next week will also be 3 miles each way.

You will get mid to high 20's MPG. I get 28.8 average.

I will still be doing a 70 mile trip 2-5 times a month, plus the odd long distance trip as well.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:55 PM
    It should be ok. I also have a 2013 ST although my commute is 10 miles at the moment, but when I move house next week will also be 3 miles each way.

You will get mid to high 20's MPG. I get 28.8 average.

I will still be doing a 70 mile trip 2-5 times a month, plus the odd long distance trip as well.
    Originally posted by tim9966
    Can you just post the VRM so we all know to avoid it if we ever see it up for sale?
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 13th Jun 17, 8:43 PM
    • 2,742 Posts
    • 1,684 Thanks
    Ectophile
    If all you'll be doing is a short commute, then what's the point of buying an ST?

If you'll be using it for longer drives at the weekend, then don't worry about it. the doomsayers on this forum will always tell you that the car will be wrecked within months unless you do a 50 mile blast down the motorway every day.

If it takes 3 miles for clean oil to reach the turbo, then there's something desperately wrong with the oil system. It should be fine by the time the car gets out of its parking place. Just don't rev the engine immediately after starting it.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    If all you'll be doing is a short commute, then what's the point of buying an ST?

If you'll be using it for longer drives at the weekend, then don't worry about it. the doomsayers on this forum will always tell you that the car will be wrecked within months unless you do a 50 mile blast down the motorway every day.

If it takes 3 miles for clean oil to reach the turbo, then there's something desperately wrong with the oil system. It should be fine by the time the car gets out of its parking place. Just don't rev the engine immediately after starting it.
    Originally posted by Ectophile
    A mate of mine used to work on the environmental test chamber for Ford. One of the tests was to chill a Mondeo to zero degrees (so a fair few cold days in the winter) then 'drive' it away on the rolling road and monitor oil flow. It would take over a minute for fresh oil at full pressure to reach the turbo bearings. On the OP's trip to work, that could be 25% of the time in the car with no lubrication in the turbo.

Personally, I'd rather not risk it, because not revving immediately after starting isn't the same as what's typically recommended for a turbo, i.e. not using high revs and avoiding coming on-boost until the oil is at operating temperature - in the OP's case, that'd be never.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 13th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    loskie
    buy the ST and an electric bike.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,636 Thanks
    AdrianC
    buy the ST and an electric bike.
    Originally posted by loskie
    Electric bike? For three miles each way...?
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 13th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,401 Posts
    • 1,223 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    Electric bike? For three miles each way...?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    lol, just what I was thinking.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 14th Jun 17, 5:50 AM
    • 1,122 Posts
    • 681 Thanks
    loskie
    The OP is clearly lazy so this suggestion was to meet his needs.
    • mambo69
    • By mambo69 14th Jun 17, 7:21 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    mambo69
    There some people here who are so rude making a judgement on a person they have never met. I am surprised anyone ever asks for advise.

I have 2 children so after work i need to pick them up from the childminder. This is not possible on a bike.

Thanks for the informed opinions about the question i asked
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Jun 17, 7:44 AM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,636 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There some people here who are so rude making a judgement on a person they have never met. I am surprised anyone ever asks for advise.

I have 2 children so after work i need to pick them up from the childminder. This is not possible on a bike.
    Originally posted by mambo69
    We can only work on the information we're given...

A bike was a suggestion to speed your journey up. Three miles each way would be perfectly doable on foot - yes, even with children. Or you can get a trailer for the bike to hold two small children, if they're too small to ride their own bikes.

Driving three urban miles each way, twice a day, five days a week, is a very quick way to kill any car. To consider doing it in a high-performance car can only be driven by vanity.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 14th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 7,106 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Maybe I'm missing something but on a 3-mile journey on 40mph roads - will the OP ever use the turbo? Unless there's a lot of traffic-light Grand Prix starts... I drove my 1.6 Ecoboost on a 6-7 mile cross-London commute for 3 1/2 years which rarely got over 30mph and got consumption in the mid to high 30s mpg. About to be 6 years old and no problems or noise. Gets a 75 mile motorway run once a month or so....

Yeah - I know the ST is more powerful and possibly more delicate than my warm-hatch version but the principle is the same, isn't it?
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 14th Jun 17, 9:27 AM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,636 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Maybe I'm missing something but on a 3-mile journey on 40mph roads - will the OP ever use the turbo? Unless there's a lot of traffic-light Grand Prix starts... I drove my 1.6 Ecoboost on a 6-7 mile cross-London commute for 3 1/2 years which rarely got over 30mph and got consumption in the mid to high 30s mpg. About to be 6 years old and no problems or noise. Gets a 75 mile motorway run once a month or so....

Yeah - I know the ST is more powerful and possibly more delicate than my warm-hatch version but the principle is the same, isn't it?
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    Turbos spin (very, VERY fast) the entire time the engine's running. They're basically a little windmill in the exhaust.
    They don't spin hard enough to produce any pressurisation of the inlet tract ("boost") unless there's sufficient exhaust flow, though.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 14th Jun 17, 10:56 AM
    • 4,522 Posts
    • 3,903 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll

Originally posted by NBLondon
    Turbos turn at anything up to 120K RPM (exc. really high end stuff) and reach that from idle RPM in 1-2 seconds. Even at idle, the turbo cartridge is turning at thousands of RPM.

One whiff of throttle will spin the turbo up to 50K plus on a modern engine... turbos are tested to >200K RPM on balancing at manufacture in some cases.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,565Posts Today

9,256Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin