Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jacqszoo
    • By jacqszoo 13th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    jacqszoo
    NPower demaning refund back after 12 months.
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    NPower demaning refund back after 12 months. 13th Jun 17 at 4:45 PM
    Help!

After spending hours and hours on the phone to NPower I really am in need of some help.

On the 26th June 2016 Npower wrote to us saying, sorry, we've got your bills wrong since 2012, as its our mistake we cant back bill and we've overcharged heres a refund of £832. All well and good. Until now. Now they are claiming that they should not of issued the refund. As although they had discovered the error last year and put it right they hadn't completed the process properly.

Where do I stand on this? My argument is that they knew there was a problem 2 years ago, it took them 12 months to sort it out and 12 months further on they've decided they did it wrong.

I'm pulling my hair out.

Thanks is advance.
Page 1
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 7,732 Posts
    • 4,581 Thanks
    teddysmum
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:12 PM
    I've posted this a lot on here but email executive complaints. You will get a reply with a case number and be given a case worker to sort things with you.

Last month, they were tardy about replying to me, so I emailed again and received a phone call within hours.

However,I don't understand your situation as they say they over charged so owed you money, which they (erroneously?) repaid , but refer to not being able to back bill. Backbilling not being possible , though, refers to their not being able to make charges under certain conditions and not to being unable to check your bill.

If you have online accounting you can see bills from way back,even from the days when you had paper bills.
    • jacqszoo
    • By jacqszoo 13th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    jacqszoo
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    Thank you for replying.

I don't understand it either.
    Basically they has transposed our meter reading since 2012 - they started to put it right in 2015 and in June 2016 sent us a refund saying that we had overpaid, there was also a goodwill payment included.

Fast forward to now. I called after they wanted to increase our direct debit from 121 to 221 and that we owned them an outstanding balance of £437. In January we owed them £93, we have used some £450 worth of electric since then and have paid them £544. They originally told me that this was because we hadn't been supplying them with meter readings. I disproved this, obviously as I had bills in front of me that clearly stated "your reading". They then said it was because our meter readings were transposed. Thankfully I had a bill to hand from 2016 which clearly shows the meter readings were correct. That flummoxed them somewhat. They are now saying that yes, the meter readings had been the wrong way round, but this was put right in March 2016 - (when they calculated we were due a refund) However, they hadn't done their calculations correctly and had not raised the final bills when they credited our account and sent out the refund. So, 12 months down the line they are demanding we pay it back.

I shall be writing to the CEO and the ombudsman but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ETS I have now registered online - and its nigh on impossible to make out as NPower have cancelled and reissued every bill at least twice. All our bills going back to 2012 have been cancelled and reissued dated June 2017!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,642Posts Today

8,067Users online

Martin's Twitter