Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    • 1,083Posts
    • 1,100Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    How to approach notice period?
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:20 PM
    How to approach notice period? 13th Jun 17 at 4:20 PM
    I'm jumping the gun a bit - not actually been offered a job yet but have some interviews scheduled.
    I really can't face going straight from my current job to a new one but don't know how to organise this once I do get an offer. I'd love to have 2 weeks to clear my head, get mentally ready and spend time with my child, especially if I'm lucky enough for this to happen during school holiday.
    I thought about asking for a shorter notice period but they are so disorganised it would probably take a month for them to say no! I thought about quitting without notice but worried that could skew a good reference? Also thought to book a holiday then quit once its authorised, so technically I'm still employed, just not at work.
    Any suggestions please?
Page 1
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 14,629 Posts
    • 14,357 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    I'm jumping the gun a bit - not actually been offered a job yet but have some interviews scheduled.
    I really can't face going straight from my current job to a new one but don't know how to organise this once I do get an offer. I'd love to have 2 weeks to clear my head, get mentally ready and spend time with my child, especially if I'm lucky enough for this to happen during school holiday.
    I thought about asking for a shorter notice period but they are so disorganised it would probably take a month for them to say no! I thought about quitting without notice but worried that could skew a good reference? Also thought to book a holiday then quit once its authorised, so technically I'm still employed, just not at work.
    Any suggestions please?
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway

They could ofcourse cancel your holiday? And It seems unlikely you have enough holiday to cover the full notice period?

Why not just schedule your start date to be later?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    I don't have enough holiday to cover 4 weeks no. Thought of giving 4 weeks notice but working 2 and taking 2 as holiday. I could maybe negotiate a later start date but if they won't agree then I don't know. What if I just say I'm leaving after 2 weeks / 3 weeks whatever? Technically its a breach of contract but I don't foresee them doing much? They can't force me to stay.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 14,629 Posts
    • 14,357 Thanks
    Guest101
    I don't have enough holiday to cover 4 weeks no. Thought of giving 4 weeks notice but working 2 and taking 2 as holiday. I could maybe negotiate a later start date but if they won't agree then I don't know. What if I just say I'm leaving after 2 weeks / 3 weeks whatever? Technically its a breach of contract but I don't foresee them doing much? They can't force me to stay.
    No but they can charge you for any costs associated with you leaving.

Which could be the additional cost of hiring a temporary replacement.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    There has always been a big gap each time someone left my role so I know they would never hire a temp. I would be sure to hand over all my stuff and leave handover notes for the next victim.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 14,629 Posts
    • 14,357 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    There has always been a big gap each time someone left my role so I know they would never hire a temp. I would be sure to hand over all my stuff and leave handover notes for the next victim.

I'll step away - I can tell you that the 'its never happened before' argument often backfires.

Forewarned is forearmed.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    I'll step away - I can tell you that the 'its never happened before' argument often backfires.

Forewarned is forearmed.
    Originally posted by Guest101
    Yes true. I'm so close to not caring though. I just want out.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 5,862 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    Yes true. I'm so close to not caring though. I just want out.
    Excellent. So you'll be ok about them sacking you and not observing your notice period if they just want rid of you? It's no different. You made a commitment and an agreement, and no matter what the circumstances you are expected to build up your end of the bargain. If you get offered the job, talk to them. Maybe they won't budge. It's as much their right not to as it is yours to insist they abide by their contract with you. But you should always be very careful about stepping on an employer for no reason - you might just regret it.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 13th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 3,054 Posts
    • 8,437 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    So you have to give 1 months notice and want 2 further weeks before you start a new job? Then just tell your new employer that you will be able to start in 6 weeks.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Jun 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Excellent. So you'll be ok about them sacking you and not observing your notice period if they just want rid of you? It's no different. You made a commitment and an agreement, and no matter what the circumstances you are expected to build up your end of the bargain. If you get offered the job, talk to them. Maybe they won't budge. It's as much their right not to as it is yours to insist they abide by their contract with you. But you should always be very careful about stepping on an employer for no reason - you might just regret it.
    Originally posted by sangie595
    I see your point about it being a breach of contract, but me quitting is kind of different to them sacking me, to my mind anyway. I'm one person who lives off a wage. No money for me could mean bills not getting paid etc. Me leaving them will be of virtually no consequence to them. I do hardly anything ( one of the reasons I want to leave) and virtually nobody is behind what I was recruited to do. I actually think they might be happy to see me go.
    I totally get on paper the idea of leaving with no notice is unprofessional but the place has annoyed me so much and in the bigger picture, nobody can force you to stay in a job. I'm a free man! I am a little concerned though that I'm just so fed up I will make a bad choice like sending a resignation postcard from a tropical island or sending in a cake with I QUIT iced on it......
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 13th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 3,718 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    I'd be very careful about walking out half way through a notice period. Often jobs are offered subject to suitable references, and the reference not actually taken up until the job offer is accepted. If you do what you are suggesting, it's entirely possible the reference request will either be received, or responded to, after you have walked out. If you current employer then stated that you had walked out it could certainly have an effect on the job offer.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jun 17, 7:15 PM
    • 18,165 Posts
    • 13,858 Thanks
    agrinnall
    You seem to be studiously ignoring the suggestion to schedule your start date at the new job to give you the 2 week break, as suggested by guest (#2) and LilElvis (#9), which suggests to me that what you really want is a confrontation with your current employer.
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Jun 17, 8:00 PM
    • 3,556 Posts
    • 5,862 Thanks
    sangie595
    I see your point about it being a breach of contract, but me quitting is kind of different to them sacking me, to my mind anyway. I'm one person who lives off a wage. No money for me could mean bills not getting paid etc. Me leaving them will be of virtually no consequence to them. I do hardly anything ( one of the reasons I want to leave) and virtually nobody is behind what I was recruited to do. I actually think they might be happy to see me go.
    I totally get on paper the idea of leaving with no notice is unprofessional but the place has annoyed me so much and in the bigger picture, nobody can force you to stay in a job. I'm a free man! I am a little concerned though that I'm just so fed up I will make a bad choice like sending a resignation postcard from a tropical island or sending in a cake with I QUIT iced on it......
    But you aren't a "free man"! As you correctly observe, you are a wage slave - you must have your income. But that is no excuse - I presume that you are an adult? You entered into a contract. Now you want to break it because... Well actually, just because you want to!

It is four weeks, not a lifetime.

But how about... When your shiny new employer gets rid of you for whatever reason comes into their head, and you need a reference from that inconvenient former employer.... When they have a shiny new job five years from now and tell you to stuff your application form in the bin because they've seen your true colors already??? There are never good enough reasons not to burn bridges - they may be needed. But to burn them because you are fed up?
    • Sanne
    • By Sanne 13th Jun 17, 10:11 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    Sanne
    I guess I'm only going to repeat what others have posted but options are...
    1. Hand in your notice and ask if you can take your remaining holiday allowance. If, as you say, they'll be glad to get rid of you they might just agree instead of having to pay you for the days
    2. Advise your new employer that you can only start in 6 weeks. Obviously depends on how urgently they need someone and if they are prepared to wait for an additional two weeks - something you'll need to judge
    3. Just leave without working your full notice period. As previous posters said, not a good option if you want a positive reference and you're in breach of contract

Obviously it's also am option to hand your notice in before you have somewhere to go and hope you find something in two weeks. Quite obvious risk is that you have a break that's longer than intended. Really depends on the job you're working in, I have interviewed a few people where the plan has gone wrong but there are also jobs where this is completely valid and possible.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 14th Jun 17, 6:26 PM
    • 1,083 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I have holiday booked for mid august so could just suggest I start after that if I am lucky to be offered something. That would mean I can work 4 weeks as required plus have some extra breathing room.
    • PossiblyOverworked
    • By PossiblyOverworked 14th Jun 17, 6:36 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    PossiblyOverworked
    The earliest you could have an offer is, say, the 3rd or 4th week of June (given that it's already mid month and you are yet to go on the interviews which are some time in the future)... so a month's notice would take you to about the end of July, and then it would be a couple of weeks that you'd be working at the new employer before taking your holiday.

I'm not judging you in asking this but - do you need 2 weeks between jobs, and the booked holiday, (if you would have only been at the new employer 2-3 weeks at that point)? If so I would just explain to the new employer that you already have that holiday booked and would they prefer you delay your start until you come back from holiday - but you are available on the xx of July should they want you to - I think it's likely that they'd delay it given that managers and other people who would have to train/mentor you etc are likely to be away / covering for other people who are away / etc during that time. Particularly as it would be the school holidays.

Btw if it's a more "career" type of job than a minimum wage type job that people generally don't stay long at - it may be that people in your field are sometimes on more than a month's notice and therefore the employer would have to wait longer anyway!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,087Posts Today

8,995Users online

Martin's Twitter