Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • quandoe
    • By quandoe 13th Jun 17, 3:47 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    quandoe
    virgin media, old to new customer rule ????
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:47 PM
    virgin media, old to new customer rule ???? 13th Jun 17 at 3:47 PM
    I recently gave virmin media the 30 day notice to close my account as they wouldn't offer me the same deal in an upgrade as what a new customer would get.... i had various calls but i told them i couldn't talk till after 5pm due to work constraints but yet they still tried to call every day for a week before 5pm???.... eventually i spoke to someone and was told that i would not be able to join as a new customer (if i chose to) untill 30 DAYS AFTER my service had ended??? now a previous person had stated 8 WEEKS ?? strangely enough which makes me think this rule is a load of codswollop !!! i cant find anything in the T&C's regarding this..... any ideas or anyone else heard of this.... interested as i can get £125 cashback through quidco and £85pm which is still cheaper than the £108pm VM offered as a Super Loyal Customer upgrade lol!!!.... i just dont understand why we have to play these games with these companys
Page 1
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 13th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 18,735 Posts
    • 8,911 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:07 PM
    I'm certain you won't be eligible for "new customer" deals for far longer than a month OR eight weeks.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 7,221 Posts
    • 5,197 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    I don't know the answer but I suspect it will depend how desperate the sales rep is to meet their target at the time of your call.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 13th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    I don't know the answer but I suspect it will depend how desperate the sales rep is to meet their target at the time of your call.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Indeed. Looking at the VM users forum, it looks like three months, but some seem to have rejoined in a lot less than that!
    • quandoe
    • By quandoe 14th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quandoe
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:19 AM
    i don't understand legally how if you've left a service in the correct manner as per their t&c's... then if you take out a new service maybe a week later or so via their website they can apply a restriction. if you've left you've left??..... i can get a similar deal through sky so its not really an issue apart from the instalation but its the principle of it that bothers me.... i am sick to death of being treated like existing customers are second class by these companies.... seems a way of life now to change yr insurance, change yr gas/electricity, change yr pants every day..... when does it ever end !!!!!
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 14th Jun 17, 8:36 AM
    • 3,003 Posts
    • 6,635 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:36 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:36 AM
    Unless they discriminate on a protected characteristic, they are not obliged to sell to anyone. Legally they can define a new customer how they want and that does not need to be consistent.

Unfortunately all these new customer deals are the consequence of sites like MSE encouraging the manic swtichers that change everything at the drop of a hat to save 2p/week.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • quandoe
    • By quandoe 14th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quandoe
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    Unfortunately all these new customer deals are the consequence of sites like MSE encouraging the manic swtichers that change everything at the drop of a hat to save 2p/week.

dont think thats fair really.... if companies treated customers on a one class system instead of discriminating new against old, offering the same deals for the same products in return for to signed 12/18 month contract clear as day then these sites certainly wouldn't exist except for quality of service they supply..... prices wouldn't come into it
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 18,735 Posts
    • 8,911 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    dont think thats fair really.... if companies treated customers on a one class system instead of discriminating new against old, offering the same deals for the same products in return for to signed 12/18 month contract clear as day then these sites certainly wouldn't exist except for quality of service they supply..... prices wouldn't come into it
    Originally posted by quandoe
    They'd also struggle to sign up brand new customers, of course!

It's very "fair" by the way, you will have already had a new customer deal back when you were a genuine new customer.

It's a nonsense to expect existing customers to be automatically charged as new customers. You are demanding an incentive to join when you've already joined!
    • rtho782
    • By rtho782 14th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 932 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    rtho782
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:38 PM
    Just cancel, then sign up again in your partners name.
    Deposit Saved since 01/12/15: £13,000 / £15,000 House Bought!

Debt Cleared since 01/12/15: £6,000 / £7,500
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Jun 17, 2:41 PM
    • 18,735 Posts
    • 8,911 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Just cancel, then sign up again in your partners name.
    Originally posted by rtho782
    Virgin are certain to be unaware that the same address is being reactivated, especially if the partner has the same surname!
    • duggan1
    • By duggan1 14th Jun 17, 7:51 PM
    • 383 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    duggan1
    I called up to cancel as well (on full package, sport, movies, HD etc). Chap I spoke to was very nice and gave me a good deal with about 20% off what I was paying. Worked out better than what it would have cost me with sky etc so I'm happy enough.

Oh and 'virmin' media, really?
    • quandoe
    • By quandoe 14th Jun 17, 11:28 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quandoe
    Just cancel, then sign up again in your partners name...... sorry.... don't have one, but great idea

I called up to cancel as well (on full package, sport, movies, HD etc). Chap I spoke to was very nice and gave me a good deal with about 20% off what I was paying. Worked out better than what it would have cost me with sky etc so I'm happy enough....... good for you.... i tried... i wanted to upgrade and almost triple my subscription.... but i felt it unfair to be expected to pay £108pm when i could be paying £85... especially when all i had was broadband and i was paying over the standard charge for that by £3pm
    ........ Hence.... VIRMIN Media.... yes really..... dont worry though it looks like ive found a good deal for SLY TV with £155 cash back and £90pm

dont take it personally i just hate big conglomerates as there interested in nothing more than bullying every last penny out of ye and providing a service second, maybe thats why i admire the the likes of Ryan air.... everyone expects a crap ride but the bulk of the time there better than the major airlines at triple the cost
    Last edited by quandoe; 14-06-2017 at 11:30 PM.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 15th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2,468 Posts
    • 18,244 Thanks
    mije1983
    I have to laugh at people who come up with 'witty' names for companies yet still happily hand over hundreds of pounds a year to them!

• Terry98
    • By Terry98 16th Jun 17, 6:12 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Terry98
    I have to laugh at people who come up with 'witty' names for companies yet still happily hand over hundreds of pounds a year to them!
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Another name for a HR Department is 'Pest Control' but they still happily hand over money to their employees :
    • quandoe
    • By quandoe 20th Jun 17, 2:12 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    quandoe
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Happily Lol.... maybe Reluctantly..... but its the only choice you have if you want the service....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,363Posts Today

8,283Users online

Martin's Twitter