Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 13th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 3,510Posts
    • 15,293Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    Costs incurred due to vehicle parked in suspended bay
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    Costs incurred due to vehicle parked in suspended bay 13th Jun 17 at 3:02 PM
    Hi

Not sure where I should post this, but hopefully someone can point me in the correct direction.

I work for a construction company which needed a crane in place at a site, crane company applied for the road closure & bay suspension licences & were charged to us ultimately.

Day of the operation, there is a vehicle parked in one of the bays. Council were phoned immediately as all of our subcontractor vehicles were on site. Unfortunately, as it took 5 hours for the council to come & remove the vehicle, we have been stung for 10 hours waiting time (2 lorries x 5 hours).

I complained to the council who have offered, as a goodwill gesture, to refund 50% of the bay suspension costs. While I appreciate that they have costs involved in removing the vehicle (ironically the owner had his PCN cancelled as he was on holidays when the suspension notices were posted!), this amounts to less than 20% of the waiting time cost we have been charged, and this doesn't include the cost of having our staff on site for the period. Our client, quite rightly, is refusing to contribute to the cost.

Are there ways of claiming our costs? Had the bays been cleared, the road would have been opened again a lot earlier, which as there is a school close by, could only have been in their best interest.

TIA
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
Page 1
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 15,768 Posts
    • 14,061 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:07 PM
    What do the Ts & Cs you signed with the council for the suspension say?
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 13th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 15,293 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:17 PM
    What do the Ts & Cs you signed with the council for the suspension say?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    The suspension was arranged by the crane company.

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 15,768 Posts
    • 14,061 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:20 PM
    The suspension was arranged by the crane company.
    Originally posted by Gettingtherequickly
    So your contract is with them. What do the Ts & Cs of your contract with them say?
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 13th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3,510 Posts
    • 15,293 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:23 PM
    So your contract is with them. What do the Ts & Cs of your contract with them say?
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Ok, will check those out & come back, thanks for the help so far.

• Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:53 PM
    I'd say it's unlikely that you'd be compensated for this, it's part of the costs and should be factored in.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 15,768 Posts
    • 14,061 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    You would also need to prove that you had made all reasonable steps to mitigate the losses.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 18,777 Posts
    • 14,485 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:26 PM
    You had a big crane, why didn't you just use it to pick the car up and move it out of the way?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,493Posts Today

7,468Users online

Martin's Twitter