Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Imnoexpert
    • By Imnoexpert 13th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 281Posts
    • 118Thanks
    Imnoexpert
    Son 14 into coding - help
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    Son 14 into coding - help 13th Jun 17 at 3:01 PM
    Apologies if this is the wrong place - do feel free to advise where else to post this.

Son has the coding bug. Seems to be good at Java and Python. Teaching himself C++ (but finding it tough) and Javascript. Getting into Linux and HTML. He also seems to have learnt more about databases in 6 months than me in 20 years!

He is now earning money writing Java plugins for some guy he applied to over the internet. Seems legit.... He's been paid $40 this week and is getting repeat work so maybe he's doing ok!

So to the teckies on here
    Any pitfalls in what he's doing?
    He's outstripped my knowledge how does he get mentored?
    How do we support and encourage him?
    What should he do next?

I should say school aren't very helpful and that he plans to do Maths and IT at GCSE and beyond and is quite hard working and motivated.

Thanks for any help
Page 2
    • scaredofdebt
    • By scaredofdebt 15th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    scaredofdebt
    If he's wanting to get a career in IT or as a programmer, suggest he looks at job adverts to see what skills are in demand, ie C#.NET are two of the biggies currently. This does change quite rapidly though so by the time he's ready to get a job it may have changed.

A degree can be useful but it's not vital, I worked in IT for ten years with no degree and it wasn't an impedement, but some jobs do specifically state they want degree level candidates.

When I was looking at going to Uni (1980s) most of the people I knew with degrees couldn't get jobs as the IT jobs wanted experience, so I decided not to go down the Uni route, but times change.

With the internet there are so many opportunities, so he will already have good experience by the time he is 18 (compared to peers) and the degree may not be necessary.

As an employer I'd rather someone with the interest and initiative to do what your son is doing rather than a graduate with reletively little experience. Very useful qualities in fairly short supply nowadays.

He may find a job in IT isn't as interesting as he thinks (been there!) so freelancing may be the way to go so he can pick and choose his work.
    Matched Betting novice - Earnings to date - £161.16 so far this month.
    • Lokolo
    • By Lokolo 15th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 19,745 Posts
    • 14,752 Thanks
    Lokolo
    Also i forgot to mention this earlier

https://www.hackerrank.com/dashboard

• onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 15th Jun 17, 2:35 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 7,384 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    25 years of being an IT engineer - proper IT - Not "programming" !!
    Originally posted by 50Twuncle

And you use talktalk? I'd have thought anyone with any IT knowledge would know better.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,252Posts Today

9,530Users online

Martin's Twitter