Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Any
    • By Any 13th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 7,583Posts
    • 8,010Thanks
    Any
    Beetrot and lemon ravioli sauce
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    Beetrot and lemon ravioli sauce 13th Jun 17 at 2:58 PM
    Hi,

I have been given M&S beetroot and lemon ravioli. MIL sent FIL to shop for ready made meals when she was bed bound and that is what he brought home. She was not impressed. She sent him for lasagne! he can just about boil water and shift stuff into the oven, but certainly cannot start making sauces! He did not buy a sauce... Men, really, they can be clueless!!
    It sometimes surprises me. What did he think is going to happen? Did she ever serve him dry pasta?

I, just like her, have absolutely no idea what sort of sauce to make with it! I googled it, but there is nothing out there that sounds interesting...

What would you do?
    Anyone tasted it?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 13th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 3,871 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:01 PM
    Put some butter in a pan and maybe some basil leaves, drain ravioli, saute them in the the pan with butter and sage. Add grated parmesan and serve warm.

Edit or maybe some fennel tops in place of basil....
    • Any
    • By Any 13th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 7,583 Posts
    • 8,010 Thanks
    Any
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:09 PM
    My Oh doesn't like sage. But could be basil..

Also was thinking perhaps crispy pancetta bits?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 13th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 3,871 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:10 PM
    My Oh doesn't like sage. But could be basil..

Also was thinking perhaps crispy pancetta bits?
    Originally posted by Any
    Pancetta would work, but the saltiness may overpower the taste of the ravioli.
    • Any
    • By Any 13th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 7,583 Posts
    • 8,010 Thanks
    Any
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:24 PM
    Pancetta would work, but the saltiness may overpower the taste of the ravioli.
    Originally posted by Oakdene

Yes, I am worried about that too.

But I am also worried it might be a bit bland. I really don't know how strong the beetroot flavour is.
    I love beetroot, but it usually goes with something fairly strong, like goat cheese salad or with a roast..
    It is not something I can eat a lot of by itself.
    And I need my food wet, I hate dry food. So it needs to have covering of something.

I have to say it is not something I would have bought in store myself. But now I have 2 packs in my freezer and need to use them. I will not throw away food, especially as it is M&S and was not cheap!
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 13th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 1,347 Posts
    • 3,871 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:35 PM
    Yes, I am worried about that too.

But I am also worried it might be a bit bland. I really don't know how strong the beetroot flavour is.
    I love beetroot, but it usually goes with something fairly strong, like goat cheese salad or with a roast..
    It is not something I can eat a lot of by itself.
    And I need my food wet, I hate dry food. So it needs to have covering of something.

I have to say it is not something I would have bought in store myself. But now I have 2 packs in my freezer and need to use them. I will not throw away food, especially as it is M&S and was not cheap!
    Originally posted by Any
    Use fennel tops or finely chopped fennel in the sauce, I always think that beetroot needs a good fragrant herb to go with it to take the sweetness away.

Let us know what you end up doing...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 23,917 Posts
    • 50,175 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:45 PM
    Definitely a brown butter sauce, flavoured with either herbs or spring onions.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Any
    • By Any 13th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 7,583 Posts
    • 8,010 Thanks
    Any
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    Definitely a brown butter sauce, flavoured with either herbs or spring onions.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Brown butter sauce?
    I don't think I ever had that!
    Or eat that! But it has butter, I am in :-)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 23,917 Posts
    • 50,175 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    Brown butter sauce?
    I don't think I ever had that!
    Or eat that! But it has butter, I am in :-)
    Originally posted by Any
    A bit of a chef-y expression for a simple procedure, I'm afraid. You literally heat the butter up in a pan until it colours, and add the herbs and seasoning in at the end so it aromatises rather than burn.

You'll know you've gone wrong if you end up with black butter sauce
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Any
    • By Any 13th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 7,583 Posts
    • 8,010 Thanks
    Any
    It definitely sounds interesting. Ultimately it is exactly what Oakdene said, just a bit more posh sound to it:-) :-) Just read a bit more about it on the internet.
    I suppose it is very safe one until I know how strong the beetroot flavour is!

I think it will go on a menu next week.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 13th Jun 17, 6:34 PM
    • 19,634 Posts
    • 31,715 Thanks
    Spendless
    I thought it sounded nice. I'd possibly buy the ravioli for my daughter. Not completely understanding what you meant though, I googled and there's this idea about what to have it with. Not sure if they stock the crab and chilli themselves.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQDqjYpgBHy/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

198Posts Today

1,525Users online

Martin's Twitter