Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    • 58,978Posts
    • 41,785Thanks
    soolin
    strange ebay warning
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:40 PM
    strange ebay warning 13th Jun 17 at 2:40 PM
    I've just had a generic warning (not targeted) about a listing that I was about to list stating firearms or anything liable to cause harm is not allowed to be listed on ebay and that breaching these rules may result in the loss of my account and that I should review my listing and edit it before going live.

I've reviewed my draft and I have no trigger words at all, no gun, no barrel, cannon, - in fact anything that could conceivably be termed as anything to do with a weapon. It is a piece of Edwardian jewellery, paste stone on an alloy backing - so I'm completely mystified.

EDIT: I just tried again and this time it will allow me to list without a warning- how very odd.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Page 1
    • RFW
    • By RFW 13th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 8,407 Posts
    • 4,895 Thanks
    RFW
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    I've just had a generic warning (not targeted) about a listing that I was about to list stating firearms or anything liable to cause harm is not allowed to be listed on ebay and that breaching these rules may result in the loss of my account and that I should review my listing and edit it before going live.

I've reviewed my draft and I have no trigger words at all, no gun, no barrel, cannon, - in fact anything that could conceivably be termed as anything to do with a weapon. It is a piece of Edwardian jewellery, paste stone on an alloy backing - so I'm completely mystified.

EDIT: I just tried again and this time it will allow me to list without a warning- how very odd.
    Originally posted by soolin
    I think I've posted on here before about a similar experience I had selling a tie on Ebay. It was a standard tie but something on the pattern description was triggering a warning that almost got my account suspended as I tried to relist it.
    It really was a random keyword (I've totally forgotten what it was, possibly "jazzy"), Ebay CS told me to just take the word out and it would be fine.
    My guess is that something gets flagged up as offensive/dangerous and they then submit all the words in the title as trigger words until someone else removes them.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 13th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 3,055 Posts
    • 1,781 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:58 PM
    I've reviewed my draft and I have no trigger words at all, no gun, no barrel, cannon
    Are you sure it wasn't the .. "this dinner service set normally costs a bomb!"

Soolin's "Beautiful Silver Service set as seen on James Bond, The BOMB Surprise..." hahehehe

Last edited by ballisticbrian; 13-06-2017 at 3:02 PM.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 13th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 515 Thanks
    angryparcel
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:46 PM

maybe they thought you were selling some sort of alien weapon from Doctor Who
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 13th Jun 17, 10:33 PM
    • 4,662 Posts
    • 17,794 Thanks
    FatVonD
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:33 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:33 PM

I've reviewed my draft and I have no trigger words at all
    Lunches brought to work in August 14/22 Money saved to date £30.08 (compared to spending three pounds on a meal deal)

Make £10 a day in August £124.07/£310 (July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54)
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 13th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 5,372 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    lovinituk
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:37 PM
    Did you use the word 'receiver' by any chance?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 14th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 58,978 Posts
    • 41,785 Thanks
    soolin
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 9:10 AM
    Did you use the word 'receiver' by any chance?
    Originally posted by lovinituk
    No nothing like that at all.

Obviously I don't want to link to it, but it was a very brief description and title- just what it was plus paste/alloy/colour then condition, all boring words like tarnish .

Oh well, it's still there and I haven't had any other warnings so it was probably a glitch.

It just worried me a bit as on other forums there have been people discussing some very strange 7 day suspensions handed out for totally nonsensical reasons - it looks like they have some power mad new management in or have targets on the number of suspensions they give a day.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,282Posts Today

7,761Users online

Martin's Twitter