Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 13th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 213Thanks
    leslieknope
    neighbour scuffed my bumper
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    neighbour scuffed my bumper 13th Jun 17 at 2:30 PM
    hi all,

apologies if this is such a simple question but i'm a first time driver so i don't really know much about this!

on friday my neighbour scuffed my bumper while i was in bed - i was not in the car as it was late at night. i wasn't blocking any drive or the main road, she said that she rolled backwards off her drive and hit it a little. she's accepted fault for this. i didn't immediately see any damage as i was at work when i called and appreciated the note she left, but my partner has since pointed out some minor scuffs on my bumper. neighbour seems to be fine with paying for this (maybe a touch annoyed i didn't see right away) although i do feel bad as the cheapest quote i've had for this is £156 (inc VAT) for only a few little scuffs!

my question is, as she seems to want to go through her insurance, will this affect my premium when i renew? she's accepted fault and is willing to pay but i just do not want this to affect my payments next year. i already pay quite a hefty amount for being a new driver and was looking forward to collecting one year of NC. is it worth claiming from her if this will affect my payments? i know it's only minor damage but i'm so proud of my first car
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 31,509 Posts
    • 15,519 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:48 PM
    She doesn't look to want to pay you directly which is why she wants you to claim off her insurers

You can find out what difference it makes to your premium by doing dummy quotes online with and without this claim in your history.

If she has reported this incident or intends to do so then you need to also, and will have to disclose it to future insurers irrespective of whether or not you do claim

This incident won't affect your No Claims Discount (if that's what you mean by "NC"), though you would have a claim (no fault) on your record
    Last edited by Quentin; 13-06-2017 at 4:09 PM.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 13,465 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:54 PM
    Just claim from her insurer direct and it should affect you. (though you should've reported this for information to your insurer)
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 13th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    leslieknope
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:04 PM
    i didn't realise i had to report it as i wasn't even in the car so didn't think this classed as an accident i had. but i will do so. just hope it doesn't make my insurance go up...
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 13th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 2,902 Posts
    • 5,412 Thanks
    warehouse
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    Personally I'd let it go. Such a small amount of damage is live-able with, and I can almost guarantee your insurance quotes will suffer. Then for the next 5 years you've got to remember to fill that in when quoting.

Try a repair place and tell them it's a cash job, not insurance. You might be able to get it done for £50, and the neighbour might be OK to stump up the cash.
    Pants
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 4:09 PM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 13,465 Thanks
    Guest101
    i didn't realise i had to report it as i wasn't even in the car so didn't think this classed as an accident i had. but i will do so. just hope it doesn't make my insurance go up...
    Originally posted by leslieknope
    It's an accident your vehicle was involved in. The T&Cs require you to report it, even if not claiming. You can ignore me if you want to ofcourse, im not going to tell them.

- your premium may increase. Someone broke off my wing mirror, I reported it and my premium went up about £50
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 13,955 Posts
    • 13,465 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:10 PM
    Personally I'd let it go. Such a small amount of damage is live-able with, and I can almost guarantee your insurance quotes will suffer. Then for the next 5 years you've got to remember to fill that in when quoting. - usually only if you claimed. Most forms ask for claims, not for every little thing.

Try a repair place and tell them it's a cash job, not insurance. You might be able to get it done for £50, and the neighbour might be OK to stump up the cash.
    Originally posted by warehouse

Buy a bumper from the scrap yard for £40 and replace yourself (model/make depending ofcourse)
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 31,509 Posts
    • 15,519 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:11 PM
    ....... just hope it doesn't make my insurance go up...

You can get a good idea what difference this will make to your future premium now by doing dummy quotes online with and without this in your history
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 13th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    leslieknope
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    just did a dummy quote and looks like it will make my premiums go up. so i suppose i will have to let it go. but i'm really annoyed i'm going to have to live with this and get it fixed myself through her negligence.

if i report this to my insurance but make no claim, will i need to put this on quotes and will this affect my premiums?
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jun 17, 4:21 PM
    • 40,880 Posts
    • 16,686 Thanks
    macman
    If it's only scuffed, have you tried polishing it out with T-Cut?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 13th Jun 17, 4:29 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    leslieknope
    i have yes but the bumper is made of some kind of plastic and it has not polished out.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 17, 4:36 PM
    • 31,509 Posts
    • 15,519 Thanks
    Quentin

if i report this to my insurance but make no claim, will i need to put this on quotes and will this affect my premiums?
    Yes you are asked about losses as well as claims.

Failure to do so is a breach which could allow the insurer to void your policy if they decide you deliberately breached the agreement. A voided/cancelled policy on your record is bad news

As the third party wants you to use her own insurer to deal with this, it's likely she already reported the incident to them - in which case this will be on the shared database insurers use to prevent this type of fraud .
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 13th Jun 17, 5:07 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    leslieknope
    thanks, i have reported it to my insurance anyway as i don't want to break any laws.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 13th Jun 17, 5:37 PM
    • 5,876 Posts
    • 5,076 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

some minor scuffs on my bumper.
    jings,' minor scuffs', as already said, give it a wee cut and polish.

Your neighbour seems to have be quite amiable, so what's the point of punting up both your insurance premiums.

You'll only notice the 'minor scuffs' if you keep looking at them, wait until you have a good bang, then you'll notice it.

Chill.
    Y'all take care now.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Jun 17, 6:48 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Hi,

jings,' minor scuffs', as already said, give it a wee cut and polish.

Your neighbour seems to have be quite amiable, so what's the point of punting up both your insurance premiums.

You'll only notice the 'minor scuffs' if you keep looking at them, wait until you have a good bang, then you'll notice it.

Chill.
    Originally posted by frugalmacdugal
    Sounds like the damage is already done.
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 13th Jun 17, 9:07 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    leslieknope
    i'm not that bothered about making a claim (even if i was trying so hard to keep my car in good condition) - it was her idea to contact her insurance so i have told mine because i don't want to be breaking any terms if they found out from hers, but looks like my insurance will go up anyway... shouldn't have bothered telling anyone at this rate!
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 13th Jun 17, 9:25 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 136 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    It's an accident your vehicle was involved in. The T&Cs require you to report it, even if not claiming.
    What if you'd done the scuffing deliberately, to give it some character ? That wouldn't be an "accident".

Insurance companies don't pay out. They lend you the money for the repair, and you repay the loan with increased premiums. The only exception would be if you were about to give up driving anyway.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 14th Jun 17, 4:21 AM
    • 143 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Korkyb
    At what point do you have to inform your insurance company?

- when you get a stone chip from a car coming the other way?

- when I cause a minor scuff on my own car while reversing?

- when I polish it on a sunny day and make a hearse of it leaving it streaky?

- when someone calls it names and upsets it?

A few years ago I slid on ice and ended up just touching and slightly creasing the wheelarch of an empty parked minibus. (No damage to the plastic bumper of my wifes car which I was driving).

The dunt was hardly visible but I tracked down the driver and let him know what had happened. It cost me around £160 to get it repaired and the bus company that owned the minibus were very (very) happy that insurance companies were kept out of it. (it was they who arranged the repair using their contacts).

I've made zero claims in 25 years of driving and am beggared if I'm giving an insurance company an excuse to charge me more.

There really ought to be a threshold under which damage from an accident or incident need not be reported to an insurance company.
    • Zandoni
    • By Zandoni 14th Jun 17, 6:16 AM
    • 2,652 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Zandoni
    thanks, i have reported it to my insurance anyway as i don't want to break any laws.
    If you have reported it, there can still be an affect on your future quotes, so you might as well go ahead and claim.
    • Glover1862
    • By Glover1862 14th Jun 17, 11:27 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 111 Thanks
    Glover1862
    Dependent on the car for me. I have two cars, one worth about £1500 and 10 years old, I wounldn't bother, my other car is only 1 year old and worth much more, I'd get that fixed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

769Posts Today

6,477Users online

Martin's Twitter