Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • novotose
    • By novotose 13th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    novotose
    Stress of Waiting for a Credit Check
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    Stress of Waiting for a Credit Check 13th Jun 17 at 2:17 PM
    We're waiting for our tenancy reference check. It's a bit of a tough wait because I am worried I'm going to fail.

The reason I worry is on the affordable area. My husband works full time, we get Tax Credits as we have kids, but I'm a full time student, and I get £12k per annum in Student Maintenance Loans and Grants.

But I'm worried that the referencing agency will reject us because of my the Student Maintenance income. The agency said if SHOULD be fine, and the landlord is happy with our financials. My husband keeps telling me not worry but what if it all crashes and burns. I can't find any information anywhere about how referencing agencies treat student loans when they are dealing with a mature student with partner with income.

Any ideas?
Page 1
    • SuboJvR
    • By SuboJvR 13th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 459 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    SuboJvR
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:42 PM
    My experience is limited to once agency in Sheffield, which is a big student city.

In terms of affordability we could afford the place on my salary alone as per all their calculators yet despite this the letting agent still wanted additional "security" because my husband (then boyfriend) was a mature student, who himself worked part time. He didn't have any student loan or grants coming in either.

He had references from student landlords and I from a private and student lets before.

This meant they wanted 2 months' deposit rather than the standard 1 month or 6 weeks. Bit of a pain at the time but we managed it.

My experience of referencing agencies is a bit mixed - HomeLet we have found atrocious both times we have dealt with them. As an example, they would not attempt to call my husband's financial reference (international number) at all, then lie that they couldn't contact them. They then asked for a letter from my employer in addition to the one I had supplied from HR, and didn't wait for the letter anyway. Definite case of left and right hands not knowing what the other was doing.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    If the LL is happy then how can you fail?
    • novotose
    • By novotose 13th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    novotose
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:18 PM
    I don't know. But I'm really worried. We were looking at private lettings and I got offered rent reduction for sex, and another guy attempted to scam us out of £700 (I say attempted, because I was like 'no way sunshine').
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:21 PM
    I don't know. But I'm really worried. We were looking at private lettings and I got offered rent reduction for sex, and another guy attempted to scam us out of £700 (I say attempted, because I was like 'no way sunshine').
    Originally posted by novotose

If the LL is happy, the credit check will just show that you haven't got a secret CCJ or whatnot.

Rent reduction for sex.... I'd be offended, surely I'd be worth living rent free!!
    • novotose
    • By novotose 13th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    novotose
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    Well, I've decided if we get such an offer ever again, I'm gonna loan out the hubby.

'It's below me, but DH is a stickler for a good deal, he'll do the dirty!!' lololol.
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 13th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:59 PM
    Why don't you check yourself on Noddle and Clearscore?

The credit check thing with lettings agents is one big scam. You could give them your Noddle password and they could check for free. There's no money in that though!
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    Why don't you check yourself on Noddle and Clearscore? - Because neither of those things are in anyway relevant to what a letting agent sees?

The credit check thing with lettings agents is one big scam. You could give them your Noddle password and they could check for free. There's no money in that though!
    Originally posted by sheff6107

You really don't understand how it works? (OP don't give them your noddle password, they can only see public records!)
    • novotose
    • By novotose 13th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    novotose
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:52 PM
    Don't worry, I won't. It would be like giving them my credit card and PIN.
    • novotose
    • By novotose 14th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    novotose
    So to update, the Tenant Referencing Agency has failed us on affordability checks by stating my Maintenance Loan of £12k doesn't count as income and therefore, we can't afford a property.

We are making the case to the Letting Agency, who are disagreeing with this stance because they are off the opinion that we shouldn't be discriminated against because I'm a student.

The saga continues....
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 14th Jun 17, 7:58 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    Geez, I was making a facitious point FFS.
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 14th Jun 17, 10:30 PM
    • 15,118 Posts
    • 14,765 Thanks
    Guest101
    So to update, the Tenant Referencing Agency has failed us on affordability checks by stating my Maintenance Loan of £12k doesn't count as income and therefore, we can't afford a property.

We are making the case to the Letting Agency, who are disagreeing with this stance because they are off the opinion that we shouldn't be discriminated against because I'm a student.

The saga continues....
    Originally posted by novotose
    But what does it matter if your landlord is happy?
    • novotose
    • By novotose 15th Jun 17, 2:04 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    novotose
    But what does it matter if your landlord is happy?
    Originally posted by Guest101
    I wish I knew, but we can't get hold of our letting agent to find out. He's not responding to my emails, or phone calls for an update.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,994Posts Today

7,243Users online

Martin's Twitter