Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tubseye
    • By tubseye 13th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    tubseye
    Accountancy Training for (mostly) fun and a bit of profit
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    Accountancy Training for (mostly) fun and a bit of profit 13th Jun 17 at 1:59 PM
    I'm in my late 30s and thinking of training to be an accountant.

I currently run a small business and do most of the bookkeeping and finance stuff, and really enjoy it.

The business will probably die to automation at some point, so I'm thinking doing some training on the side to add another string to my bow. (maybe accountancy will go too!)

So I'm wondering if anyone has advice on what kinds of courses and routes might be suitable? Presuming a start date in about 5 years time.

I'm also interested in business strategy, programming, IT and investment, if that helps narrow it down.
    Last edited by tubseye; 13-06-2017 at 4:32 PM.
Page 1
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 13th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 549 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:17 PM
    For fun....?
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 13th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:40 PM
    There are many different qualifications to take, all of which depend on where you want to go in the future.

AAT is a good qualification for a person new to accountancy. It gives you a basic level of understanding and a stepping stone to the other qualifications.

CIMA is good for management accounting. Think analysing variances and understanding what the impact on the business would be. Its good if that is where you want to go.

ICAEW is the more traditional qualification in the UK. You need this qualification to be called a "chartered accountant". It is good for preparing accounts and auditing and appeals to the more traditional UK centric organisation

ACCA is similar to ICAEW, but this has more of a global appeal. This will mean you are a "chartered certified accountant". Again, it is good for preparing accounts and auditing.

The mostly take 3/4 years to get fully qualified so if you are looking for this as a future career, it may well be worth exploring these further with a local college, who can then give you pointers and costs of the courses and exams.

If you want something for fun, perhaps AAT is a good starter to see how you deal with the learning and exams?
    • Scorpio33
    • By Scorpio33 13th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 435 Posts
    • 635 Thanks
    Scorpio33
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    meant to add:

There is also CIPFA, but this qualification is aimed at public body accounting (local governments etc)
    • tubseye
    • By tubseye 13th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tubseye
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:24 PM
    Thanks a lot! I'll check out AAT first and see how I go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,840Posts Today

8,914Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin