Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Greybeard1978
    • By Greybeard1978 13th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Greybeard1978
    Garage taking the mick
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:52 PM
    Garage taking the mick 13th Jun 17 at 1:52 PM
    Help !!
    My car has been at a garage now for 15 months waiting for them to fix the automatic gear box, the first few months the guy was trying to find the right part but eventually gave up hope so we agreed he would put the gearbox back together and I would sort it elsewhere. My problem is that for the last 10 months he has been saying " it will be ready next week " with no sign of that week ever arriving, I have been to visit him numerous times and been given the same response and promises. I just want rid of the car now as I've bought another one due to how Long he's been keeping me waiting.
    Where do I stand on getting my car back and should I have to pay him for fixing nothing and causing me all this trouble?
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 13th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 8,732 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    missile
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:05 PM
    I would speak to whomever you have in mind to do the repairs and ask them to uplift the car.
    I would tell garage No 1 to send me a bill for the work carried out and frame it.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • ratrace
    • By ratrace 13th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 434 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    ratrace
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    This sounds like a very DarkMatter
    People are caught up in an egotistic artificial rat race to display a false image to society. We want the biggest house, fanciest car, and we don't mind paying the sky high mortgage to put up that show. We sacrifice our biggest assets our health and time, We feel happy when we see people look up to us and see how successful we are”

Rat Race
    • walwyn1978
    • By walwyn1978 13th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    walwyn1978
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:43 PM
    Have you paid any money to date?

Why haven't you tried to recover the car, in bits or not, before now?
    • Greybeard1978
    • By Greybeard1978 13th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greybeard1978
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:00 PM
    The guy was recommended to me and i have been too believing of him. I have not paid him anything to date and to be honest i dont want to anymore
    • Greybeard1978
    • By Greybeard1978 13th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greybeard1978
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:03 PM
    And today he has informed me that it needs a new battery as its been sat idle for so long that it's dead and won't charge !!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    And today he has informed me that it needs a new battery as its been sat idle for so long that it's dead and won't charge !!
    Originally posted by Greybeard1978
    No great surprise there.

What car is this, that gearbox parts aren't available - or a replacement box - within a year and a bit?
    • angrycrow
    • By angrycrow 13th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    angrycrow
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:53 PM
    After 15 months sitting your brakes are likely to be shot as well and expect engine and electrical issues when you get the gearbox fixed. I would recommend a full service and brake overhall before the car goes back on the road. Must be a very rare car to not be able to get gearbox parts after 15 months.
    • pappa golf
    • By pappa golf 13th Jun 17, 5:56 PM
    • 7,170 Posts
    • 7,268 Thanks
    pappa golf
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:56 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:56 PM
    After 15 months sitting your brakes are likely to be shot as well and expect engine and electrical issues when you get the gearbox fixed. I would recommend a full service and brake overhall before the car goes back on the road. Must be a very rare car to not be able to get gearbox parts after 15 months.
    Originally posted by angrycrow
    brakes will be cheap , as that car only had brakes on the front axle
    Have YOU had to walk 500 miles?
    Were you advised to walk 500 more?
    You could be entitled to compensation.
    Call the Pro Claimers NOW.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 13th Jun 17, 6:03 PM
    • 4,249 Posts
    • 3,584 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I'm sorry everybody, but I don't believe it's 'him'.

That is, unless he's learned a lesson finally and drastically changed posting style.
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 13th Jun 17, 6:06 PM
    • 259 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    fewgroats
    Rhyming slang.

Mickey Bliss = er, liberty.
    Lent Challenge: 132/200 Failed
    Pancake Day+70 challenge (ends 8 June): 244/300 Better
    • Greybeard1978
    • By Greybeard1978 13th Jun 17, 7:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greybeard1978
    Car is a 52 plate Audi a4 2.5 automatic
    Not sure how to quote people yet but I think angrycrow is sadly right about all the other problems that could now be looming. ... any idea where I would stand on on the car being in worse condition than when I took it there ?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 13th Jun 17, 7:23 PM
    • 733 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Not sure how to quote people yet but I think angrycrow is sadly right about all the other problems that could now be looming. ... any idea where I would stand on on the car being in worse condition than when I took it there ?
    Can't you make an in game purchase to get it back on the track?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 13th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 14,710 Posts
    • 13,077 Thanks
    AdrianC
    2.5TDi?

Tiptronic or multitronic?

They both have a poor reputation for reliability - which is probably why they can't find a replacement box. If it's the multitronic (CVT), then it's got an ABYSMAL reputation.

Might this be the right box?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182612235159

Given that it's a grand and a half's worth of car at best, I think it's just going to be easiest to cut your losses and declare it dead.

As far as comeback against the garage... No. You took it in with a gearbox fault. That gearbox fault is rendering the car uneconomically fixable. It's not the delay that's done that. If you'd been willing to pay Audi prices for a box, you might have had it back within a week or two, but somehow I doubt you would - so it's down to time versus money.
    • Greybeard1978
    • By Greybeard1978 14th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greybeard1978
    My initial intentions were to get the car fixed and continue to use it, but all I want now is to move it on and get what money i can for it either by selling it to someone who may want it to fix it up or simply scrapping it.
    My issue is getting it back and should I really have to be paying the guy when all he's really done is cause me more problems.
    Thank you all for your input thus far ��
    • Greybeard1978
    • By Greybeard1978 14th Jun 17, 4:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Greybeard1978
    ^^^^^^^
    Was ment to be the thumbs up symbol!
    • stator
    • By stator 14th Jun 17, 5:39 PM
    • 5,619 Posts
    • 3,578 Thanks
    stator
    Send a letter, proof of postage, saying you are getting the car towed. Suggest a date. If it is not convenient to reply by return of post.
    Either get it towed to another garage for them to look at or the scrap heap.
    I wouldn't be paying him a penny.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 14th Jun 17, 7:32 PM
    • 12,993 Posts
    • 8,223 Thanks
    arcon5
    Just get them to secure the engine and put the bits in the boot. Tell any buyer to send a truck to collect it direct from the garage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,480Posts Today

9,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin