Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bairn7
    • By bairn7 13th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    • 427Posts
    • 141Thanks
    bairn7
    Council refusing to pay share of repairs
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:32 PM
    Council refusing to pay share of repairs 13th Jun 17 at 1:32 PM
    Hi all

I had to get some urgent roof repairs instructed last week. I'm the owner of a first (and top) floor flat and the council owns the flat underneath.

Last year I had a roof leak and contacted the council who come out and simply placed a plastic sheet under the leak. It took months for them to actually repair.

This time the leak was in a different spot and was much more urgent so I had to get it done that day (was coming through the ceiling into my bedroom.

The title deeds say that both flats have joint responsibility for the roof.

The council are saying that, because they were not consulted, they will not be paying their share of the costs.

Can they do this?
Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 13th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 18,640 Posts
    • 15,519 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:59 PM
    Might be best to get this thread moved to:
    • missile
    • By missile 13th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 8,728 Posts
    • 4,199 Thanks
    missile
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    I have found making a complaint to my local councillor gets a better response.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • stator
    • By stator 14th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 5,608 Posts
    • 3,575 Thanks
    stator
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    Does the lease say they have to be consulted?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 14th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 1,874 Posts
    • 938 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:00 PM
    The council are saying that, because they were not consulted, they will not be paying their share of the costs.
    Originally posted by bairn7
    Next time they ask for Council Tax, tell them, as you weren't consulted, you are not going to pay!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,151Posts Today

7,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin