Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fluffy123
    • By fluffy123 13th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 328Posts
    • 69Thanks
    fluffy123
    New bathroom & New door - which first?
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    New bathroom & New door - which first? 13th Jun 17 at 1:25 PM
    Hi all,

We're due to get our small bathroom completely ripped out and replaced at the start of August. As part of the process, we are also replacing the window in the bathroom (done last week) and the door as well.

We're unsure though as to whether to replace the door prior to all of the work being done or afterwards, or does it really matter? The guy who will be doing the bathroom for us said it'd be easier for everything to just be ready for him to pile on through with his task but I was thinking he was meaning more the window than anything though? Opinions welcome in advance, thanks!
Page 1
    • Aleem
    • By Aleem 13th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Aleem
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    I would get the new door fitted last.

The door might get damaged/dented during the rip-out/bringing materials in/out of the bathroom.
    Charles J
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 13th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 3,763 Posts
    • 3,133 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:08 PM
    As above. In fact, why not remove the door just before the work starts ? It'll give the fitter more room to work in, especially if the door opens into the bathroom. Then just fit the new door when everything's finished.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 13th Jun 17, 10:47 PM
    • 2,099 Posts
    • 2,942 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:47 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:47 PM
    Totally agree - fit the door last. If you're changing the flooring of the bathroom you're likely to need to rehang it anyway.

Don't be in too much of a hurry to remove the old door unless you have other *ahem* facilities.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

301Posts Today

2,563Users online

Martin's Twitter