Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • enquirer22
    • By enquirer22 13th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    enquirer22
    PAYG is a sham unfettered by Ofcom
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    PAYG is a sham unfettered by Ofcom 13th Jun 17 at 1:22 PM
    it's really very simple. I want a PAYG sim. I want to pay for what I use. I don't want a PAYG monthly which is a contract by any other name. I currently have such a sim with TalkMobile - they are phasing it out. Instead they suggest I buy a vodaphone (pay monthly) PAYG sim. I have reported the lack of clarity on this to Ofcom who won't do anything about it because Ofcom, ofwat, ofgem, CISAS etc are really in cahoots with the industries they are supposed to regulate (they should all be disbanded at savings to the tax payer because they are useless).

Can any of your point me to a PAYG sim which I simply top up when I need to?
Page 1
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 6,573 Posts
    • 4,214 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:25 PM
    it's really very simple. I want a PAYG sim. I want to pay for what I use. I don't want a PAYG monthly which is a contract by any other name. I currently have such a sim with TalkMobile - they are phasing it out. Instead they suggest I buy a vodaphone (pay monthly) PAYG sim. I have reported the lack of clarity on this to Ofcom who won't do anything about it because Ofcom, ofwat, ofgem, CISAS etc are really in cahoots with the industries they are supposed to regulate (they should all be disbanded at savings to the tax payer because they are useless).

Can any of your point me to a PAYG sim which I simply top up when I need to?
    Originally posted by enquirer22
    Almost every network offers a basic PAYG rate, you need to do a little more research.

Some are very cheap, like Three, some are more expensive like EE or Vodafone.
    ====
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 13th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    it's really very simple. I want a PAYG sim. I want to pay for what I use
    I walked into a TESCO Mobile store, I came out with a simple PAYGO that you need

I experienced no sale pressure to get a monthly contract

'very Simple'

Last edited by ballyblack; 13-06-2017 at 1:41 PM.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:41 PM
    I walked into a TESCO Mobile store, I came out with a simple PAYGO that you need

I experienced no sale pressure to get a contract

Simples
    Originally posted by ballyblack

Really? They are asking for a non expiring no call requirement pay n' go deal. These do not exist anymore as far as I know. 3 is quite close though.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 13th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 3,363 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:43 PM
    you may have to make a chargeable call every 6 months or so.

so a £10 top up will last for years
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 13th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,155 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:48 PM
    1p mobile, 1p/min, 1p/text, 1p/MB. Need to top up every 120 days.
    https://www.1pmobile.com

Three, 3p/min, 2p/text, 1p/MB. No regular top up needed. Cheapish calls to 20 countries (3p/min UK to Spain). Credit lasts indefinitely provided a call is made at least every 6 months.
    http://www.three.co.uk/Store/Pay_As_You_Go_Price_Plans
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 481 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:58 PM
    you may have to make a chargeable call every 6 months or so.

so a £10 top up will last for years
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    Precisecly it is good enough! Text/Data works too. I don't think I have ever made a charageable call on 3! Just maybe ringing my work phone to work out what it has fallen behind!
    • d123
    • By d123 13th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 6,573 Posts
    • 4,214 Thanks
    d123
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:25 PM
    Really? They are asking for a non expiring no call requirement pay n' go deal. These do not exist anymore as far as I know. 3 is quite close though.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    He's asking for something that isn't "a PAYG monthly which is a contract by any other name". He doesn't want monthly expiring add-ons, it would appear.

There's never been a PAYG that doesn't have a minimum use element (the one call/text/data use/top up per 6 months).

Tesco Lite PAYG is a flat-rate charge of 8p/min for calls and 4p a text.

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1818-call-charges/1819-pay-as-you-go/pay-as-you-go-lite-call-charges
    ====
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    David Aston
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    Wife and I's Vodaphone payg sims have up to now not required specific top ups, or had any useage stipulations. Perhaps ten or more years use. Only used for text, or in desperation a very brief call, however.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 13th Jun 17, 2:57 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    Then either you've made a chargeable call or sent a text every 270 days or you've been very lucky. You can lose the number and the credit if you don't.
    Last edited by mobilejunkie; 13-06-2017 at 4:26 PM.
    • jozxyqk
    • By jozxyqk 13th Jun 17, 2:59 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    jozxyqk
    I've been on Three PAYG for the past few years. I mainly use my phone through wifi and top up with £10 maybe every 6 months.
    "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by."
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 13th Jun 17, 3:32 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 403 Thanks
    David Aston
    If you were responding to my post mobilejunkie, I presume you mean every 270 days? Every chance we have done that.
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 13th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 7,409 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    If you were responding to my post mobilejunkie, I presume you mean every 270 days? Every chance we have done that.
    Originally posted by David Aston
    Yes; I've amended it.
    Last edited by mobilejunkie; 13-06-2017 at 9:29 PM.
    • angryparcel
    • By angryparcel 13th Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 518 Thanks
    angryparcel
    GIFFGAFF goodybags are a good deal

take their £10 goodybag you get 2 GB UK Data, 500 UK Minutes and Unlimited UK Text this last 30 days, but after the 30 days you start using the actual £10 at these rates https://www.giffgaff.com/pricing.

I have had about £3.80 in my GG account for 3 years and all i have to do is every 6 months make a text or call from my giffgaff number.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 13th Jun 17, 5:08 PM
    • 7,469 Posts
    • 5,384 Thanks
    pmduk
    I currently have such a sim with TalkMobile - they are phasing it out. Instead they suggest I buy a vodaphone (pay monthly) PAYG sim. I have reported the lack of clarity on this to Ofcom who won't do anything about it
    Originally posted by enquirer22

The clack of clarity on what? Every network is required to publish a price list and to my knowledge all major networks comply with this.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Jun 17, 6:02 PM
    • 2,322 Posts
    • 617 Thanks
    AndyPK
    And I thought the OP may have been moaning about bundles or packs
    • oldharryrocks
    • By oldharryrocks 13th Jun 17, 7:45 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 202 Thanks
    oldharryrocks
    Seek and you shall find....

Another one o2 Classic Pay As You Go.

Top up a minimum of £10 and pay for the minutes, texts and data you use.

Calls are 5p a minute, texts are 5p, and data is 5p a MB. Once your credit runs out, just top up again.

You need to make one chargeable event every 180 days to keep it ticking along.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 13th Jun 17, 7:47 PM
    • 1,792 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    Ian011
    On pay-as-you-go you have the choice of paying for a bundle of calls, texts and data or paying a per-minute, per-message and per-MB rate.

On bundles, several hundred minutes and texts costs a fiver. Double the money and you get four to ten times as much. Unlimited calls and texts for one month can be had for around £15 to £20.

If you decide to pay for each call individually, some providers offer rates of 3p, 5p or 8p per minute while others charge 35p, 36p, 40p, 44p, 45p, 50p or 55p per minute.

There are more than a thousand choices. Choose one that gives you decent value for money.

Pay-as-you-bundles are in no way "contracts by another name". There is no minimum term. There is no notice period. You either buy a bundle this month, or you don't. And if you do buy one, it doesn't have to be the same as the one you bought last time.

Inclusive calls usually cover:
    - UK geographic numbers starting 01 and 02
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03
    - UK mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079.
    Inclusive allowances usually exclude landline and mobile numbers allocated in CI and IoM.

Numbers starting 080 and 116 are free-to-caller on landlines and on mobiles.

Premium rate numbers start 070, 084, 087, 09 and 118. Usage of these numbers is now banned for customer services, financial services and public services.
    Last edited by Ian011; 14-06-2017 at 9:11 AM.
    • enquirer22
    • By enquirer22 14th Jun 17, 7:20 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    enquirer22
    Thanks everyone - very helpful!
    • enquirer22
    • By enquirer22 14th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    enquirer22
    Vodaphone is expensive!
    ...and, it is not clear what you are getting from their website. They confuse it more with 'rewards' etc but roll over bundles isn't of interest (which you have to call to activate) and the call charges are monstrous (30p/minute). If you select PAYG sim you get the same kind of presentation for PAYG Bundle and saying data can be rolled over suggests calls can't be.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

6,642Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin