Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diddlydoop
    • By diddlydoop 13th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 4,351Posts
    • 1,175,711Thanks
    diddlydoop
    Tax Credits overpayment year after year
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    Tax Credits overpayment year after year 13th Jun 17 at 12:51 PM
    For the last 4 years we have been getting letters saying we have been overpaid and need to pay the money back. Last year was £360 but smaller the year before that. We haven't received any tax credits for over 2 years now as we are earning enough not to need them. We always wondered why,how etc we had been overpaid but never got a rundown or anything just how much we owed . We have been paying £40 a month back for over 18 months and thought it must be coming to an end soon Today we got the annual review and on it it says we have been overpaid again by £1184 it also says we have paid back £86.21 already so only owe £1097 and they will be asking for us to pay that back soon.
    Now I phoned them and he said it is for payments from various years dating back to 2011, when i said we have been paying back £40 a month for 18 months he said but it seems it must have been recalculated and you now owe this much, this just makes no sense whatsoever to us and he was far from helpful and basically said there is no way it can be wrong, but why every year have they said we owe such and such an amount which altogether comes to nowhere near £1000 and now they say we owe Over £1000. Do I just pay what they say because I really don't know how I can find out if they are right or not.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 23,682 Posts
    • 13,807 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    Write (send "signed for") and request an explanation and full accounting of amounts owed/repaid.

You might seek the assistance of a benefits adviser at CAB.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 13th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 4,725 Posts
    • 2,986 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:24 PM
    Have you not been getting finalised awards notices each year.
    • diddlydoop
    • By diddlydoop 13th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 4,351 Posts
    • 1,175,711 Thanks
    diddlydoop
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:10 PM
    Have you not been getting finalised awards notices each year.
    Originally posted by Darksparkle
    To be honest I don't even know we haven't had any payments from them for over 2 years because like I said we earn just above the threshhold so are not entitled to any.It is just annoying that for the past few years each year they seem to say we owe them more and more money and we have no idea why or how they overpaid us, before we started earning to much to claim , nothing in our circumstances changed so we don't understand how they could overpay us and even more so how they can keep changing the amount they say we were overpaid by, surely if say in 2013 they told us we had been overpaid by such and such amount they can't then say now 4 years later that we owe them even more for that year. Ill have to have a look and see what letters I have from them, I know I have some somewhere but wasn't expecting anymore overpayment letters with not receiving any more money from them for over 2 years and paying them back £40 a month for over 18 months as well.I will write to them and request a full breakdown.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

2,840Users online

Martin's Twitter