Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Ianes
    • By Ianes 13th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Refunded too much by my former supplier
    • #1
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:51 PM
    Refunded too much by my former supplier 13th Jun 17 at 12:51 PM
    Hi all,

    I've just been contacted by my former energy supplier asking for money because they over-refunded me for a charge that they made by mistake 6 months ago (and now they want it back).

    In short: I closed the account in December, they accidentally charged me the following month, I told them what they had done and they recommended that I make an indemnity claim with my bank. I did this and got the money back. I also had credit outstanding on the account- after much chasing, I got this back too, in the form of a cheque.

    Today they have contacted me to inform me that they mistakenly included a refund for January's overcharge in the amount of the cheque (so: along with the indemnity claim- I have been refunded twice). They now want the money back.

    I owe them £90, but would like to know if I have any real obligation to pay (they have been pretty incompetent throughout).

    Many thanks,

Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 13th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • 12,439 Posts
    • 12,615 Thanks
    • #2
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:15 PM
    Yes, you have a real obligation to pay.

    There won't be a clause to apply a fine for incompetence in the contract.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 13th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 606 Posts
    • 494 Thanks
    • #3
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    Yes you do have to repay IF the request is genuine. The supplier has 6 years in which to chase up any debts (5 years in Scotland IIRC)
    I'm assuming that when the supplier contacted you, they gave you a new final bill ? If not, then get them to produce one for you.
    Once you have the bill, check it carefully and see if it is correct.
    If not correct, then start an official complaint using the supplier's complaints procedure.
    If correct, arrange payment.
    • Ianes
    • By Ianes 14th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #4
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    • #4
    • 14th Jun 17, 10:43 AM
    Great: many thanks! I will make sure they send through a paper bill and will check it carefully
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

180Posts Today

1,539Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

  • WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See RT

  • RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

  • Follow Martin