Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 13th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 20Posts
    • 2Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    FTB - Hw long before seller solicitor send initial draft of contract
    • #1
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    FTB - Hw long before seller solicitor send initial draft of contract 13th Jun 17 at 12:39 PM
    First Time Buyer here...

    How long does it usually take for seller's solicitor to send the draft contract to the buyer solicitor - after the offer has been accepted?

    In my case, offer was accepted >2 weeks ago and I provided with solicitor details and mortgage DIP details on same day.

    My solicitor is still waiting for the draft contract pack - Is this normal?
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 13th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • 31,471 Posts
    • 16,814 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • #2
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    • #2
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:43 PM
    Has the vendor found a property?

    If not, they may not incur costs until they have and there is a fully-formed chain.

    Nor should you.

    If they have the vendor has to provide certain information to their solicitor before a draft contract can be prepared, so there is no answer to your question other than 'that depends.'
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • jackjassiek
    • By jackjassiek 13th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    jackjassiek
    • #3
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    • #3
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:48 PM
    The previous house I offered. The owner took 6 weeks after offer accepted to send the first initial draft letter to us.
    (Then the seller decided not to move out - she changed her mind. She would stay in her house until her new built property finishes. She asked us to wait for a year. So, we walked away)


    For the current house I offered. It is a probate house. The owner took 9 weeks until now after offer accepted. I am still waiting! The seller's solicitor said they would send it within this week. Let's see if it is true.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 53,856 Posts
    • 46,645 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • #4
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • #4
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:57 PM

    In my case, offer was accepted >2 weeks ago and I provided with solicitor details and mortgage DIP details on same day.
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Have you received your mortgage offer yet?
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 13th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    • #5
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    • #5
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:23 PM
    Has the vendor found a property?
    The property was advertised on rightmove as NO ONWARD CHAIN. When viewing, estate agent told me that the vendor has found a property where they will be moving to. As per estate agent, vendor does not need money from this transaction to fund their next transaction.

    Have you received your mortgage offer yet?
    Not yet. My mortgage broker told me that valuation survey has come at same price as agreed transaction price.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 53,856 Posts
    • 46,645 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • #6
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • #6
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:50 PM


    Not yet. My mortgage broker told me that valuation survey has come at same price as agreed transaction price.
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Then the vendor may well still be waiting until proceeding further. They won't be interested in hearsay only fact.
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • shell88
    • By shell88 13th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    shell88
    • #7
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    • #7
    • 13th Jun 17, 6:44 PM
    We waited just over 4 weeks until sellers drafts contract was sent and there is no chain on either side, Frustrating to say the least..!!
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 14th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    • #8
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    • #8
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:15 PM
    Thanks for your replies!

    Any advise please as to at what point will it be appropriate to chase estate agent or my solicitor for an update on the draft contract pack from the seller's solicitor?

    As mentioned, valuation survey already with lender at the agreed transaction price.
    I am expecting HomeBuyer report tomorrow.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 14th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • 962 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    • #9
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    • #9
    • 14th Jun 17, 2:19 PM
    Any advise please as to at what point will it be appropriate to chase estate agent or my solicitor for an update on the draft contract pack from the seller's solicitor?
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Now!

    It would not be particularly unusual for the vendor's solicitor to have sent a load of paperwork to the vendor, including fixtures and fittings form and property information form, and then the vendor to have done nothing about filling them in and returning to the solicitor.

    The vendor's solicitor properly has 115 other cases they are working on and does not have time to chase up their client in this particular instance.

    Call the EA this afternoon and get them to make some calls to find out what is going on. Get them to earn their fee!!
    • DumbMuscle
    • By DumbMuscle 14th Jun 17, 2:26 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    DumbMuscle
    Also, as a general rule, chase via the EA rather than your solicitor to get things from the sellers - the EA is working for the vendor and getting a commission from the sale. Your solicitor is working for you, and may up their fees if they have to spend a ton of extra time on the case (just make sure to keep your solicitor updated with any replies).
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 16th Jun 17, 11:09 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    I posted this thread 3 days ago and my situation is still the same. No draft contract paperwork from the seller's solicitor

    estate agent has replied me that they are:
    waiting for the vendors solicitors to come back
    Does it usually take this much time?
    As a FTB, I have never seen what the draft contract paperwork will look like.
    • Surrey_EA
    • By Surrey_EA 16th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 962 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Surrey_EA
    Call the estate agent again and ask them to call the vendor to ask:
    • Has the vendor formally instructed their solicitor, and signed a letter/form to confirm they accept the terms offered by the solicitor
    • Has the vendor filled out the Sellers Property Information Form and returned it to their solicitor?
    • Has the vendor completed the Fixtures and Fittings form, and returned it to their solicitor?
    • NelliePie
    • By NelliePie 16th Jun 17, 12:44 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    NelliePie
    We ended up waiting almost 6 week!. Our sellers solicitors were really slow even with our solicitors chasing them (emailing, calling and in writing). Our solicitors informed us that they couldn't start searches etc without this. Eventually our sellers put in a complaint because they were having no response or feedback as to what was happening. We're all good no though and should be exchanging and completing next Friday. I know it's a pain but jut keep chasing and you'll get there eventually!
    When life gives you lemons, find the tequila!
    MFW: FTB June 2017 £144k. Target 128k June 2019
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 16th Jun 17, 1:16 PM
    • 53,856 Posts
    • 46,645 Thanks
    Thrugelmir

    As mentioned, valuation survey already with lender at the agreed transaction price.
    I am expecting HomeBuyer report tomorrow.
    Originally posted by harshitguptaiitr
    Has the mortgage offer been issued yet?
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 16th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    Has the mortgage offer been issued yet?
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Yes and the estate agent has been made aware of this.

    I need to accept the offer which has a small non-refundable fee. I will pay this only if I know vendor is planning to sell the property.
    • anode_seller
    • By anode_seller 17th Jun 17, 7:11 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    anode_seller
    Check with the estate agent if the vendor is arranging more viewings to get a higher offer price.
    • Alan Bowen
    • By Alan Bowen 20th Jun 17, 2:37 PM
    • 2,871 Posts
    • 1,445 Thanks
    Alan Bowen
    It can really depend on the vendors solicitors and how competent, or otherwise they are. I agreed to purchase on the 1st February, there is no chain and the house is empty. It took until the second week of April for the vendors solicitors to draft the contract, we already had all the necessary searches back.

    It then became clear there were huge problems with the title, the property had been purchased by the vendor two years earlier using the same solicitors who had failed to notice there was no planning permission (newly built property) no rights of access over the driveway to the garage and the Transfer had been written back to front! This meant the buyer gave rights to the seller instead of the other way around and would require a Deed of Variation.

    My solicitor wrote to them on 16th April, they responded, failing to answer any of the serious issues on 31st May, we responded the following day and we are still waiting. So far almost 6 months and we haven't even reached exchange, if there was another similar property on sale I would have backed out long before now. If the solicitors you are dealing with are in West Yorkshire, I had better not identify them any closer, then good luck.

    As others have said keep pestering the EA, in my case they telephoned every day for 8 days but could never speak to anyone. They advertise the fact that they are cheaper than competitors, they maybe but the stress for buyer or seller simply isn't worth it.
    • gill15
    • By gill15 21st Jun 17, 10:22 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gill15
    It's been 6 weeks for me, everything on my end is totally done, mortgage etc and no chain at my end, seller moving to parents property and delays are apparently caused by seller not bring in documents, seller going on holiday, sellers broken foot. Very frustrating and my moving date is supposed to be this Monday,, original agreed date was last Friday
    • harshitguptaiitr
    • By harshitguptaiitr 23rd Jun 17, 9:29 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    harshitguptaiitr
    It has been >3 weeks now with no paperwork from vendor's team.

    At 3 weeks since offer acceptance, response from estate agent was:
    vendor solicitors have still not received instruction paperwork back from the vendor
    • the property was advertised with no onward chain.
    • vendor had found a place to move which according to estate agent they were going to move in 5-6 weeks.
    • Estate agent had told me that vendor wants sale to go through as soon as possible and has no preference on completion date since there is no chain.
    • wantonnoodle
    • By wantonnoodle 23rd Jun 17, 10:34 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    wantonnoodle
    When we bought our house a few months back, it took 3 weeks for our solicitor to get the draft contract pack from the vendors solicitors. Our purchase was chain free.

    As it happpened, we had some survey issues that needed resolving before we were prepared to pay out for the searches, these had come up the week before the contracts arrived, so it was good for us in a way as we didn't have to deal with too much at once.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

184Posts Today

1,235Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

  • RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

  • It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

  • Follow Martin