Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • matt0706
    • By matt0706 13th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    matt0706
    Purchase via employer salary sacrifice gone wrong!
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:23 PM
    Purchase via employer salary sacrifice gone wrong! 13th Jun 17 at 12:23 PM
    HELP!!

My employer runs a scheme where you can buy computer equipment & use salary sacrifice to pay for it monthly (with no interest). I decided to treat my wife to an iWatch. I selected the one which fell within my budget & placed my order. A few weeks later the watch arrived. It happened to be a day that my wife was working from home so when she phoned me to say I'd had a delivery I told her to open the box (surprise!). So far so good. However, I have now been contacted by my HR department and told that Apple sent me the wrong iWatch. I ordered a 38mm Aluminium case watch & they sent a 38mm Stainless Steel. I did not notice the difference as my wife was already wearing it by the time I got home. I've been told I have 2 options:

1. Return the watch

I don't really want to do this as I have given it as a gift and this will be soured if I ask for it back.

2. Pay the difference

The stainless steel watch is over £200 more so this will raise my monthly payment significantly (hence opting for the aluminium case). I don't see why I should have to pay more because Apple made a mistake.

I've gone back to HR & told them that neither of these options appeal but they've said tough, I need to pick one of them.

My question is this; what are my rights here?

Any help & advice is appreciated.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • cono1717
    • By cono1717 13th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    cono1717
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:32 PM
    If you ordered the stainless steel and Apple sent you the aluminium would you want to swap it back? In this instance Apple have made a mistake so the above options are all you have I'm afraid.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 13th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 15,112 Posts
    • 20,519 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:38 PM
    The options are fair.

If your wife is that materialistic then pay the extra £200, otherwise just return it.

Did you let them know it had been worn?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 13th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:39 PM
    Consider making an offer - Apple cannot now sell the watch as new. See if you can meet in the middle (if that is something you would consider).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,528Posts Today

5,942Users online

Martin's Twitter