Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 13th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    • 607Posts
    • 552Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    British Gas repair
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:00 AM
    British Gas repair 13th Jun 17 at 11:00 AM
    The past few days I had noticed I can hear the boiler running at odd times when the nest themostat was not calling for heat and hot water.

We moved into a house in November and are still getting used to the conventional hot water/ heating system with tank for hot water as we are used to combi boilers. The boiler is a Ideal Logic + 24 and is 2 yrs old.

On doing a bit of research I suspected it was the Honeywell V4073A 3 way valve which was at fault. The boiler was showing c to show it was calling for heat. The rads were cold so gathered it was the hot water tank.

When we stayed with BG on moving they gave us a free boiler "service" and a basic Cover plan where you just pay £60 excess.

I booked the callout last night and he has just been and I do not quite trust what I have been told, especially as powerflush was mentioned within seconds of arrival so thought I would ask here 😁

The guy reckons we need a powerflush urgently as there is sludge in the system causing the valve to stick. He says he has freed it up with wd40 but cannot replace the valve as it will happen again without the flush.

He pulled up the records for the previous owners as they had BG cover. He said they had a powerflush 10 years ago but were advised the radiators required replacing. We have started to change over to new radiators on decorating each room but still have a lot to do so seems mad to powerflush with old radiators.

The house is 1980 build and we wanted more efficient radiators anyway which my OH changes one by one.

Im annoyed he would not change the valve and has said if it happens again its our fault as they have advised it needs flushing. Im annoyed with myself as I have paid £60 for his sales waffle.

What do you think? Also should it need a flush after 10 years?

Thanks on advance

Xx
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 13th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 437 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    Without draining I can't see how he has made the decision that it urgently needs power flushing, it can only be a guess.

I feel if he drained it and replaced the 3 way valve he could of should you the water quality and condition of the old valve and made a decision based on this.

A sticking 3 way valve could be a sign of corrosion but could be a weak motor. You could always ring back and ask for a second opinion and ask for some proof of sludge or say it's still coming on. They will not be able to charge the excess again for a repeat fault and can't make you have a power flush.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 13th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:09 PM
    This is what I thought, he diagnosed sludge before he even did anything.

He brought up the recirds on the address from the previous owner and there were quite a few callouts and advising they had powerflush 10yrs ago. A new boiler was fitted by a local engineer 2yrs ago and I notice a magna filter thing which looks new. Would a powerflush not have been done at the same time?

Just annoyed that I know the valves are known to go faulty and he would not replace it just sprayed wd40 on it then covered himself when i questioned it saying it will happen again due to sludge in the system. He did not check any pipework or any water samples.

Thanks for replying

Xx
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 13th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:02 PM
    Old records mean nothing, the system may have be flushed when the boiler was changed, it didn't have to be but could of, he's done nothing to prove otherwise. In my opinion he should of changed it, proved the sludge and quoted to flush.
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 13th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:22 PM
    Ok..an update. Just dug out some paperwork from when we moved in. In the back of the boiler instructions it states the date of install and that they used a system cleaner, fitted a maga clean filter and added an inhibitor. 2 years ago!!

The filter which looks new was right in front of him but he still insisted it needed a powerflush.

Im going to call BG now and insist on a new engineer who actually changes the part or refunds my money!.

Thanks again

Xx
    • ladymarmalade222
    • By ladymarmalade222 13th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    ladymarmalade222
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:33 PM
    Raised a formal complaint and they are sending a new engineer out to replace the valve.

I will keep you upto date.

Xx
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 41,291 Posts
    • 16,954 Thanks
    macman
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:28 PM
    BG are notorious for flogging unnecessary powerflushes.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 13th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 3,019 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:42 PM
    Two points, WD40 is very unlikely to free a stuck valve, BG normally give a lifetime warentee if they powerflush, so worth checking if that's the case as they might be liable to do it foc
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

114Posts Today

1,214Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin