Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StewyGriffin
    • By StewyGriffin 13th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    StewyGriffin
    Holiday Let Advice
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:31 AM
    Holiday Let Advice 13th Jun 17 at 9:31 AM
    I was seeking some advice from those with more accounting intellect than myself.

Myself and my wife have just bought a property in Cornwall with the intention of renting it out on the holiday rental market. Gross receipts are expected to be in-between 10-15k although this is up in the air as an unknown territory and only the figures from the previous owner. we are giving it a complete revamp. Running costs expected to be 5k per year.

We bought this not to provide an income for us but as a saver for our kids (aged 10,13) and possible pension for us.

Does anyone know hat would be the most effective way of running this 'business', limited company or as sole traders? We don't want to draw on any of the profits and want it to go into kids savings after expenses.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

SG
Page 1
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 13th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 4,314 Posts
    • 1,594 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:01 AM
    A lot depends on your tax status and IMO you need professional advice.
    We had a holiday let and put it in my DWs name as she was not working.
    A good idea for the first year is to let through Hoseasons or someone like that, they may also give advice on setting up the business.
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 13th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 27,982 Posts
    • 71,140 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:04 AM
    Myself and my wife have just bought a property in Cornwall with the intention of renting it out on the holiday rental market.

Does anyone know hat would be the most effective way of running this 'business', limited company or as sole traders?

We don't want to draw on any of the profits and want it to go into kids savings after expenses.
    Originally posted by StewyGriffin
    Isn't that the kind of research you do before buying a property?
    • Guest101
    • By Guest101 13th Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    • 14,625 Posts
    • 14,349 Thanks
    Guest101
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:07 AM
    I was seeking some advice from those with more accounting intellect than myself.

Myself and my wife have just bought a property in Cornwall with the intention of renting it out on the holiday rental market. Gross receipts are expected to be in-between 10-15k although this is up in the air as an unknown territory and only the figures from the previous owner. we are giving it a complete revamp. Running costs expected to be 5k per year.

We bought this not to provide an income for us but as a saver for our kids (aged 10,13) and possible pension for us.

Does anyone know hat would be the most effective way of running this 'business', limited company or as sole traders? We don't want to draw on any of the profits and want it to go into kids savings after expenses.

SG

Have you included business rates for your local council in your £5k - seems quite low if you have.

You arent sole traders, as there's two of you, so your a partnership.

You cant not draw profit - that would be tax evasion. You take the profit, pay the tax, then invest how you wish.

Running as a ltd business would make the money liquid assets for the bussiness.
    Last edited by Guest101; 13-06-2017 at 10:26 AM.
    • bob bank spanker
    • By bob bank spanker 13th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    bob bank spanker
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:11 AM
    Did you buy with a mortgage?
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 13th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:14 AM
    I would suggest that you invest in some professional advise from an accountant, it will save you money, time and effort in the long run.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 54,830 Posts
    • 47,683 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:32 AM
    Time to consult an accountant. Different rules apply to furnished holiday letting as well.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/furnished-holiday-lettings-hs253-self-assessment-helpsheet/hs253-furnished-holiday-lettings-2015
    “ “Bull markets are born on pessimism, grow on skepticism, mature on optimism, and die on euphoria. The time of maximum pessimism is the best time to buy, and the time of maximum optimism is the best time to sell.” Sir John Marks Templeton
    • chucknorris
    • By chucknorris 13th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 9,061 Posts
    • 13,675 Thanks
    chucknorris
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:38 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:38 AM

SG
    Don't ignore the fact that you can reduce your tax bill by paying holiday let profits into your pension, the profits are 'relevant income'. But if you already invest up to the annual allowance that will not be any use to you of course.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird
    The only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistake
    Chuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".
    After running injuries I now also hike, cycle and swim, less impact on my joints.

For the avoidance of doubt Chuck Norris is an actor and an ex martial artist (not me)
    • loveka
    • By loveka 25th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 339 Posts
    • 329 Thanks
    loveka
    • 25th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    • 25th Jun 17, 11:02 AM
    It's a while since you posted this.

I too would like to know the answer, as I have bought a holiday let. I am just paying tax through self assessment. (Or will be)

You will probably get business rate relief, so don't worry about that. You simply contact the Valuations Office and if they classify it formally as a holiday let you then apply for relief from Cornwall Council.
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 25th Jun 17, 12:33 PM
    • 4,535 Posts
    • 3,916 Thanks
    00ec25
    you have put the cart before the horse and will now pay the consequences

you say you do not want to withdraw the profit. Therefore the only way you should have done it was via a limited company and simply left the profit in the company. But you are too late to do that now as you would need to sell the property to the company, pay any CGT due (unlikely to be large I grant you) and find a way in which the company can raise the money to buy it from you. An accountant can advise on the company stuff, but not help with fund raising.

instead you are now stuck with running what, in tax terms, is regarded as a trading business which you will operate as a partnership. That is a very important distinction because it is very different to merely having a rental property.

the link above from Thruglmere to the FHL rules will get you started, but sounds very much like you need to see a professional and get your first year's set of accounts done properly for you, especially as it will need a set of partnership accounts and thus 3 separate tax returns.
    Last edited by 00ec25; 25-06-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    • Crashy Time
    • By Crashy Time 25th Jun 17, 1:14 PM
    • 4,525 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    Crashy Time

SG

Sounds way too optimistic IMO.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

76Posts Today

2,374Users online

Martin's Twitter