Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • clairesilverspar
    • By clairesilverspar 13th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 44Thanks
    clairesilverspar
    Pushy credit card salesman - rules?
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:30 AM
    Pushy credit card salesman - rules? 13th Jun 17 at 9:30 AM
    Hi, hope I'm in the right place.

There has been a stand in my local shopping centre for some people selling credit cards recently. I've avoided them so far but yesterday they caught a friend off guard and he's the type of person who can't say no.

He told them repeatedly that he has no income and has no need or desire to sign up for credit. The guy kept telling him that this is how you build up credit and pushed really hard. My friend said he felt intimidated and like he couldn't get away unless he gave them his contact details. I was actually impressed that he got away with just that.

What are the rules on pushy sales, particularly for something like credit? The guy was repeatedly told this is not something he could afford but kept insisting it was needed, potentially getting my friend in trouble.

Does anyone know who is the best person to complain to?

I've advised my friend to ask them to remove his details from their system when they call and to ask for an address to complain to.
Page 2
    • Grzegorz Kowalski
    • By Grzegorz Kowalski 16th Jun 17, 11:12 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Grzegorz Kowalski
    "Me no English speaking" always works for me.
    • bris
    • By bris 16th Jun 17, 11:41 PM
    • 6,823 Posts
    • 5,852 Thanks
    bris
    Complain to your friend, the salesman doing his job, your friend needs to learn to walk away, why blame anyone else?
    • Geoff1963
    • By Geoff1963 17th Jun 17, 12:35 AM
    • 1,063 Posts
    • 667 Thanks
    Geoff1963
    Another good idea, is to start saying something, then pause mid-sentence, take out your mobile and begin an animated conversation with an imaginary caller.
    For best effect, choose something appropriate, like, "I don't care if the County Court has authorised it, you can't take my stuff !" or something more general : "Yes doctor, I understand the urgency, I'll be there as quickly as I can" ; "But honey, I thought it was your turn to feed the dog" etc.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 17th Jun 17, 7:13 AM
    • 1,256 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    boo_star
    Another good idea, is to start saying something, then pause mid-sentence, take out your mobile and begin an animated conversation with an imaginary caller.
    For best effect, choose something appropriate, like, "I don't care if the County Court has authorised it, you can't take my stuff !" or something more general : "Yes doctor, I understand the urgency, I'll be there as quickly as I can" ; "But honey, I thought it was your turn to feed the dog" etc.
    Originally posted by Geoff1963
    Why bother?

Just say "Sorry, not interested" and continue walking away.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 17th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    adindas
    Hi, hope I'm in the right place.

There has been a stand in my local shopping centre for some people selling credit cards recently. I've avoided them so far but yesterday they caught a friend off guard and he's the type of person who can't say no.

He told them repeatedly that he has no income and has no need or desire to sign up for credit. The guy kept telling him that this is how you build up credit and pushed really hard. My friend said he felt intimidated and like he couldn't get away unless he gave them his contact details. I was actually impressed that he got away with just that.

What are the rules on pushy sales, particularly for something like credit? The guy was repeatedly told this is not something he could afford but kept insisting it was needed, potentially getting my friend in trouble.

Does anyone know who is the best person to complain to?

I've advised my friend to ask them to remove his details from their system when they call and to ask for an address to complain to.
    Originally posted by clairesilverspar
    Did your friend took the credit card offer and has been using it ???
    • datlex
    • By datlex 17th Jun 17, 10:16 AM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    datlex
    I tell people like that who get in your face to go ........themselves. I also complain to the CEO where possible. These people are parasites.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 17th Jun 17, 11:07 AM
    • 3,217 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    adindas
    I tell people like that who get in your face to go ........themselves. I also complain to the CEO where possible. These people are parasites.
    Originally posted by datlex
    How come they are parasite they pay tax so contribute to society. Parasites should be referred to people who are just taking money from the state the states and do not contribute to the system.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 17th Jun 17, 12:50 PM
    • 6,849 Posts
    • 8,435 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Parasites should be referred to people who are just taking money from the state the states and do not contribute to the system.
    Originally posted by adindas
    Perhaps a need to modify this statement.

I seem to fit the bill.
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 17th Jun 17, 12:56 PM
    • 7,534 Posts
    • 5,327 Thanks
    esuhl
    I can understand how some people can't just tell salesmen to f*** off and feel pressured into giving contact details.

But why on earth would anyone give their real contact details if they didn't want to be contacted?!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 17th Jun 17, 4:53 PM
    • 23,981 Posts
    • 11,278 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    I remember many years ago I was ''pressurised'' to fill in one of these applications in a shopping centre.
    I just made it all up and signed the application as M Mouse.

Never did get the card LOL.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

352Posts Today

3,178Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin