Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 13th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 179Posts
    • 91Thanks
    cashferret
    How to choose best landline/broadband package? Do any offer all-free calls?
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    How to choose best landline/broadband package? Do any offer all-free calls? 13th Jun 17 at 8:57 AM
    I just got a horrific monthly bill from TalkTalk (£60, which is a lot for me) - I see I'm paying over a quid for five-minute calls, or 30p for a six-second call to a geographic-number landline.

I use 18185 when I remember but I must still be getting stung on connection charges.

£60 is too much! I want to change to a cheaper plan or provider.

And yet when I look at other companies listed here on MSE, it's not possible to directly compare what my bill might be with other companies because it's a matter of the monthly standing charge plus the kind of calls I'd make (to the various different mobile companies, etc.).

TBH I'd rather pay a flat fee and get all my calls free - at least I'd know what I'd be getting.

Is there such a thing on general? I used to be on that with TalkTalk but now I'm not sure what my bargaining position should be - I'd like to say, "Well Sky charges £X for broadband/landline with calls all in, can you match it?" but I can't see that other companies offer such a plan. Or do they?

I'm only interested in landline/broadband - I don't want anything else (so no TV, etc.).

I'd be grateful for any advice!
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:24 AM
    All of them (I think) do anytime call packages, Talktalk's is just £7.50 a month.

Just compare the phone and broadband prices, Sky's is about £8 so the call package won't make much odds.
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 13th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    cashferret
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:34 AM
    All of them (I think) do anytime call packages, Talktalk's is just £7.50 a month.

Just compare the phone and broadband prices, Sky's is about £8 so the call package won't make much odds.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Thanks, Colin - I just googled using "anytime call packages" (I didn't know that term!) and found this site that compares them:

http://www.money.co.uk/broadband/broadband-and-anytime-calls.htm

They seem to be only free calls to landlines, though - I wonder if there are any that are free across the board?
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 13th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    They seem to be only free calls to landlines, though - I wonder if there are any that are free across the board?
    Originally posted by cashferret

John Lewis give you the option of adding in call "bundles" to include mobile, international, etc. : https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/

I only mention them because I switched my broadband & phone to them just last month. Their prices are pretty competetive, and they get good reviews. It's too early yet for me to comment on how reliable they are long term, though I can say the switch itself went very smoothly indeed and things happened on the dates they told me they would. Have a look and see if they offer something to suit your needs.
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 13-06-2017 at 9:55 AM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 13th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    cashferret
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:45 AM
    John Lewis give you the option of adding in call "bundles" to include mobile, international, etc. : https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/

I only mention them because I switched my broadband & phone to them just last month. Their prices are pretty competetive, and they get good reviews. It's too early yet for me to comment on how reliable they are long term, though I can say the switch itself went very smoothly indeed and things happened on the dates they told me they would. Have a look and see if they offer something to suit your needs.
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    Thanks, Ebe - that looks very interesting, and I'd trust John Lewis to not be shifty and predatory.

It's also good to hear that your transition went smoothly. I had a horrific transition to TalkTalk from my previous provider and have been scared about changing provider again ever since.
    • MurkySurfy
    • By MurkySurfy 13th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    MurkySurfy
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:13 AM
    Most of the big ISP now include calls to mobiles with their anytime calls package.
    I know Talktalk does.
    This is one of their call plan:
    http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/about-anytime-uk-calls-boost
    Before you go looking at other providers, make you you finished your minimum term contract first. It's possible to haggle for a better deal with Talktalk, not all have the same level of success but you can try your luck.
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 13th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    cashferret
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    Most of the big ISP now include calls to mobiles with their anytime calls package.
    I know Talktalk does.
    This is one of their call plan:
    http://help2.talktalk.co.uk/about-anytime-uk-calls-boost
    Before you go looking at other providers, make you you finished your minimum term contract first. It's possible to haggle for a better deal with Talktalk, not all have the same level of success but you can try your luck.
    Originally posted by MurkySurfy
    Thanks, MurkySurfy - that TalkTalk boost looks very good indeed, and would avoid the hassle of switching.

I've haggled good deals with TalkTalk in the past but somehow seem to have not noticed this one that they offer as standard.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    I know Talktalk does.
    Originally posted by MurkySurfy
    Yep, Sky do as well.
    • MurkySurfy
    • By MurkySurfy 13th Jun 17, 12:01 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    MurkySurfy
    Just for a point of reference, I managed to haggled Talktalk to give half price on the anytime calls boost. Some people managed to get it discounted to free for the period of minimum contract. Some could also get free fibre boost on top (the 76mbp plan). Since they now do a 24 months contract, it's likely they try to put you on this rather than the 18 months. So try to get your discounts to last as long as possible.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Jun 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Inclusive calls start from £6/month? (EE) to £8.50/month many include calls to mobile (except BT?)
    • cashferret
    • By cashferret 13th Jun 17, 12:55 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    cashferret
    Thanks, folks - I've gone for the TalkTalk boost for £7.50 and when my contract comes up for renewal I'll see if I can negotiate a discount.

Delighted I'm not going to be seeing another £60 bill!
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 41,344 Posts
    • 16,998 Thanks
    macman
    Just for info, John Lewis broadband is provided by Plusnet-it's just a branding exercise.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 13th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 3,972 Posts
    • 3,392 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Just for info, John Lewis broadband is provided by Plusnet-it's just a branding exercise.
    Originally posted by macman

Thanks - yes, I forgot to mention that, but I did discover that whilst I was researching and comparing.

Interestingly, John Lewis were cheaper than going to Plusnet direct ( for an identical package ). Only by a couple of quid or so, but that surprised me somewhat :-)
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 13th Jun 17, 5:59 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 651 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Thanks, folks - I've gone for the TalkTalk boost for £7.50 and when my contract comes up for renewal I'll see if I can negotiate a discount.

Delighted I'm not going to be seeing another £60 bill!
    Originally posted by cashferret

Just note that premium calls are still charged (e.g catalogue companies)
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 13th Jun 17, 7:16 PM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 1,055 Thanks
    Ian011
    Inclusive calls usually cover:
    - UK geographic numbers starting 01 and 02
    - non-geographic numbers starting 03
    - UK mobile numbers starting 071-075 and 077-079.
    Inclusive allowances usually exclude landline and mobile numbers allocated in CI and IoM.

BT is the only major landline provider to NOT include calls to mobile numbers.

Numbers starting 080 and 116 are free-to-caller on landlines and on mobiles.

Premium rate numbers start 070, 084, 087, 09 and 118. Usage of these numbers is now banned for customer services, financial services and public services.

An unlimited anytime call plan usually costs around £8 per month on top of line rental.

If you don't take up this sort of inclusive calls offer, landline providers instead charge around £7 per HOUR for weekday, daytime calls.

Taking a weekend call plan or an evening and weekend call plan is usually a false economy.

See also
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5292529
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5425727
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5437763
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5528968
    Last edited by Ian011; 13-06-2017 at 7:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

477Posts Today

4,527Users online

Martin's Twitter