Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CBN
    • By CBN 13th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    • 36Posts
    • 8Thanks
    CBN
    What income will mortgage provider consider?
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:24 AM
    What income will mortgage provider consider? 13th Jun 17 at 8:24 AM
    Hi,

Looking for some generic advice. First time buyer, 95% mortgage.

In my job (16 years at the employer) I earn:

£37,500 salary
    £2,625 benefit allowance which I take as cash
    £12,750 cash supplement in part lieu of pension
    £3,750 bonus each year

Before I start looking at mortgage providers I am keen to understand how much of the above income I can borrow against. I suspect mortgage providers will take differing views so any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Page 1
    • CBN
    • By CBN 13th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    CBN
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    To extent it's relevant, first time buyer status will depend on mortgage provider as have owned property before we relocated. Currently renting.
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 13th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:29 AM
    Consult a broker they will be able to give the
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 13th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:31 AM
    Consult a broker - the brokers on here can't name lenders.

Alternatively try putting in your income into the intermediary calculators that some of the lenders have online.

Bonus, benefit cash and bonus (confirmed) will usually all be taken into account. The cash in lieu of pension is the unusual one.
    • Westminster
    • By Westminster 13th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 812 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    Westminster
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:00 PM
    Definitely get an independent (non-estate agency) broker.
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a Board Guide on the following boards: Mortgages & Endowments, Mortgage-Free Wannabe, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Small Biz & Charities' MoneySaving and Charities.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts on there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

3,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin