Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • addis123
    • By addis123 13th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    • 23Posts
    • 9Thanks
    addis123
    Refund from gardener
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:56 AM
    Refund from gardener 13th Jun 17 at 7:56 AM
    Hi

Not sure if this should be in the DIY forum but it's about getting a refund so I thought it might be better here.
    Last October we got a landscaper to do our front and back garden and some fencing. We paid him a small deposit and also £2000 for him to get some materials. He said we were booked in for October but he put the job off because of the weather initially and then personal reasons. My wife had to go away at the beginning of the year so we agreed he'd start in March. Didn't start the job due to other jobs coming up when my wife was away so he had to finish them so we gave him the benefit of the doubt. Then other excuses came as to why he couldn't start the job. So as we got into May we asked for our money back as he'd had it for 7 months and nothing had been done. He agreed to this as he said only half the money had been spent and he would get this back from the suppliers. Now he's dragging his heels over the refund (I've a feeling he may have spent our cash finishing other jobs)
    Now the problem is we didn't get a receipt off him for the £2000 (only for the deposit) I know this was a mistake and I know we shouldn't have given him cash upfront but that's what's happened and that's that. What we do have though is all our correspondence through Facebook messenger including him agreeing him to give us the refund, so all the details are there.
    Apologies for the length of the post but wanted to include as much info as I could. So basically am wondering where we would stand legally with no written contract or receipt in trying to get our money back if he refuses to pay.

Thanks for reading this far if you have and thanks in advance for any advice.
Page 2
    • addis123
    • By addis123 14th Jun 17, 1:31 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    addis123
    We've got a lot of communication with him via my wife on Facebook messenger from the very start of our meeting with him up to him saying he'd refund the money, how much and when. Including everything in between.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Jun 17, 1:55 PM
    • 18,880 Posts
    • 9,027 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    We've got a lot of communication with him via my wife on Facebook messenger
    Originally posted by addis123
    That's not much of a paper trail I'm afraid.
    • addis123
    • By addis123 12th Jul 17, 8:33 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    addis123
    Just to update (for anyone interested). We did get our money back. He agreed to pay us back £500 a week. He'd obviously spent it but at least we eventually got it back.
    Cheers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,580Posts Today

6,064Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin