Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PM49
    • By PM49 13th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    • 25Posts
    • 7Thanks
    PM49
    Fire safety check
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:39 AM
    Fire safety check 13th Jun 17 at 7:39 AM
    We are selling a house and the buyer has had an Homebuyers Report. Not seen the details yet but been advised by our conveyancer that the fire failed the safety check
    What do we have to do
    We renovated the property and did not replace the fire as felt many people would want to do to their taste - don't want to lose the sale but do not want to have to pull out the fire and start all redocratig.
    Any advice welcome on how to progress
Page 1
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 13th Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:53 AM
    Gas fire? Real fire? need more details.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 13th Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 31,947 Posts
    • 37,678 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:57 AM
    buyer may come back with reduced offer......
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 23,712 Posts
    • 89,694 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:17 AM
    Do nothing. Wait for the reduced offer and haggle.

No fire is worth much, unless it's running the central heating.

What was wrong with it anyway? Lots of real fires would fail the current regs, but there might not have been the same regs in force when they were installed, especially those over 100 years old!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • PM49
    • By PM49 13th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    PM49
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:00 AM
    Sorry all . Gas fire
    Requested info from the Homebuyers report will see what is advised
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 13th Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,552 Posts
    • 2,013 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:44 AM
    Sorry all . Gas fire
    Requested info from the Homebuyers report will see what is advised
    Originally posted by PM49

I would guarantee that it 'failed' as it couldn't be inspected, as the surveyor is not a certified gas safe engineer.

I'd not do anything, await details and see what they say. Options would be - get a gas safety check (either at your or the buyers expense - around £60) and see what, if anything is wrong. Then you can either get it fixed, depending on cost or see what they buyers say. It won't cost much to remove and make good, so you just offer some money off the price - £500 would more than cover it.
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 41,425 Posts
    • 17,050 Thanks
    macman
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:52 PM
    There is no requirement to have a gas safety certificate unless you are renting the property. Nor an electricity cert. It's at the buyer's discretion (and cost) if required.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • PM49
    • By PM49 14th Jun 17, 12:51 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    PM49
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:51 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 12:51 AM
    Thanks all for advice . I have resolved . The query came via the solicitors . I went back to the estate agents , said really I was being more than fair on other things and if necessary I would cap off - they agreed and spoke to purchaser.
    Purchaser said no please leave as is - we re happy and will sort
    Agree on above it was a try on the surveyor could not say this and had not said unsafe or condemned as I was led to believe . Phew
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    • 23,712 Posts
    • 89,694 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:31 AM
    The surveyor would have flagged a gas fire as red: "for further investigation" as such appliances can only be assessed by a Gas Safe engineer.

The buyers may not have fully understood this, but their solicitor ought to have realised, as this sort of thing happens all the time.

Anyway, "We have allowed for this in our price" is a good reply to minor niggles that people sometimes bring up in the hope of negotiating some money off whatever was agreed.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • PM49
    • By PM49 2nd Jul 17, 7:12 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    PM49
    Good news is we completed on the sale and the buyers accepted the fire as is with no extra costs ..phew and thanks everyone for your help
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,482Posts Today

6,357Users online

Martin's Twitter