Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Automaton
    • By Automaton 13th Jun 17, 12:32 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Automaton
    Can anyone help me understand this specific Buy Now Pay Later financing option?
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:32 AM
    Can anyone help me understand this specific Buy Now Pay Later financing option? 13th Jun 17 at 12:32 AM
    I've looked all over the internet for info on this, but the wording on the website I'm using has me worried. I was wondering if anyone could help me with the financing options for scan.co.uk.

The problem is that on the checkout page it words it differently to how it does on their page where they explain their finance options, and the way they explain it on the checkout page makes it seem like there are monthly payments before the 9 month payment-free period is up. Here is what it says on the finance page:

"BUY NOW PAY LATER (9 MONTHS / 39)
    After a 10% deposit pay nothing for 9 months"
    "This is a Buy Now Pay Later agreement. Customers will initially only have to pay a 10% deposit, with the original loan amount payable in the 9th month, in order to incur no interest charges."

As you can see, from this, it makes it seem like you pay the 10% deposit, then pay nothing at all for up to 9 months, and then as long as you pay all the other 90% off you won't have to pay any more.

However, here is what it says on the checkout page:

"Buy Now Pay Later (9 Months / 39) 19.9%
    Pay a deposit of £75.87 (10%) then 39 monthly instalments of £26.36. No interest charges will be incurred if the loan amount is paid within 9 months."

From this, it makes it seem like you pay the 10% deposit, and then straight away have to start off with monthly payments.

Can anyone that's used Scan before confirm whether or not it's a true payment-free period with no monthly payments, and the 39 monthly payments it mentions are only for after the 9 month payment-free period? I have emailed them before to ask about it, and they simply linked me to their finance page and said to call them up if I didn't understand.
Page 2
    • Automaton
    • By Automaton 17th Jun 17, 8:50 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Automaton
    A. Let me be honest, you don't really need that rig. Every Uni offers free, almost unlimited access to their computing power via virtual desktops, VPN etc.
    B. Go to Curry's and get their finance offer with "yourplan". Their offer has no setup fees or early repayment penalty. Account and repayments were accessible online and I was very happy after buying my laptop with them.
    Originally posted by Grzegorz Kowalski
    A) Depends what you mean by "need". I think a lot of people are getting caught up on the fact that I said I "need" it, as if I were trying to justify taking out a loan. I could get by easily at university without a new PC, and in my life in general without a PC. So in that sense, no, I don't "need" it. But for people (other posters) to say it's simply a want and assume it's just for gaming is a little too much. My current PC runs slowly and crashes a lot. I know that it is a hardware problem (RSODs), but I haven't managed to isolate which part causes it. It's also not good enough for the sort of music recording & production I "need" to do. My dad is my manager; he seems more into it than I do at times. But yes I don't "need" it, but I do need it to continue forging the path that we both want for me (minus the GPU, of course).

B) Thanks for the help I checked it out, but unfortunately their selection of PC parts isn't enough I'm buying all my parts separately and building it, like I did with my last one about 9 years ago, because it's cheaper and also because it means I can get exactly the most price-performance parts in one build for my budget. For example, I want the AMD Ryzen 5, as opposed to an i5 or something, as their hyperthreading is much better for multiple tracking in a DAW, even if it is very slightly worse for gaming. Unfortunately Currys only has 2 processors available.
    Last edited by Automaton; 17-06-2017 at 8:53 AM.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 17th Jun 17, 2:29 PM
    • 26,034 Posts
    • 10,383 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    You do not NEED an i5 latest gen to be crash free. Up until recently i was running a 10 / 12 year old dual core athlon with 6GB RAM. It had no issues with windows 10. I even used it to run several virtual machines. But having 3 or more of those open did lag it quite a bit.

Just upgraded to a Ryzen 7 and in everyday tasks it runs exactly the same. I do not notice any difference loading windows and opening browsers etc.

Its only when i load up my CAD stuff and VMs. You buy a brand new £700 machine and i will build a new machine for £200 - £250 and you wont know which is which just by running your everyday tasks.

Your current PC crashes a lot, fix it?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 17th Jun 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 5,730 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    You do not NEED an i5 latest gen to be crash free. Up until recently i was running a 10 / 12 year old dual core athlon with 6GB RAM. It had no issues with windows 10. I even used it to run several virtual machines. But having 3 or more of those open did lag it quite a bit.

Just upgraded to a Ryzen 7 and in everyday tasks it runs exactly the same. I do not notice any difference loading windows and opening browsers etc.

Its only when i load up my CAD stuff and VMs. You buy a brand new £700 machine and i will build a new machine for £200 - £250 and you wont know which is which just by running your everyday tasks.

Originally posted by forgotmyname

Hello, I see the shopping police are out.

OP is clear HE has a good reason for the spend, and it's hardly a top of the line Merc.

I am not sure what you hope will come of your post, but I doubt it will stop him making a purchase.

There are times on this board when we see people about to make really, really daft spends - this doesnt look like one of them to me.
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Nov17 grocery challenge £133.10/£150
    • Automaton
    • By Automaton 17th Jun 17, 10:15 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Automaton

Originally posted by forgotmyname
    Last poster explained, but I'm going to try and explain too:

I am building my machine, so the difference between a £200-250 machine you build and one I build for £700 will be noticeably different. The crashing is down to my old CPU, I'm 99% sure (tried a new cooler with good thermal paste and that didn't fix it either). If I want a new modern-gen CPU (even a cheap one) I need a new motherboard. The reason for my purchase is a combination of 75% music production 25% gaming. Those that seem to be having a go at me for what I want it for seem to be focusing on that 25%, and ignoring that the main thing I want it for is the music production.

I have an EP coming out later this year, that my dad is sorting out as my "manager", and he wants it ready for the end of summer, and I simply cannot easily do what I want to do with my songs on this machine. I'm talking 20 separate tracks for one song, all with various virtual instruments and plugins on, it's not an easy thing for a machine to handle. Maybe people are underestimating how taxing this can be on a computer. Let me give an example. For instance, if I want to record MIDI from my electronic drum kit (which I do need to do), the latency is really bad on this machine, making it almost impossible to stay in time and play properly. The only way to make it okay is to reduce the buffer size, but that decreases quality and in some cases makes hits not register at all, or register weirdly.

If I wanted efficiency for gaming I'd get an i5 over the ryzen, but the multicore hyperthreading is better for the music production. At the end of the day, I could realistically, admittedly, get a machine good enough for what I want for probably a little less, maybe £500-600, but in a year's time I'll only end up replacing a lot of the parts for longevity and increased performance, so that £200 I saved would amount to a loss when the parts I bought are useless once I buy new ones. I would end up spending more. The money I will need to pay is well within my means, as I know that I am getting my student loan 100% for certain (I've had confirmation), and after the PC money and rent and the maximum amount of utilities I'll have to pay, I'll still have like £90/week to live on easily.
    Last edited by Automaton; 17-06-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,586Users online

Martin's Twitter