Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Harry--M
    • By Harry--M 12th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Harry--M
    Assistance needed
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:54 PM
    Assistance needed 12th Jun 17 at 11:54 PM
    In April I parked at a private business park in Hounslow.
    I bought a ticket for the whole day so it was valid for 24 hours. The ticket has the last three letters of my car registration on it so it is unique to my vehicle.
    The ticket has written on it 'FIX INSIDE WINDOW', so as it didn't have a sticker to fix in the winsdcreen i wedged it in my drivers window where it could be seen clearly.
    I came back to see a ticket had been issued for not displaying a valid permit.
    I tried to contact the issuer without luck and was told to appeal via the IAS.
    I sent my evidence to the IAS and started an appeal. The car parking company said that i was issued the ticket for not having it displayed in the winsdreen as its signage say, and also that I had parked in a prohibited bay (not mentioned on the ticket issued and also not true and their own photo proves it).
    After supplying all the evidence to the IAS - the fact that I proved that I had paid for a valid ticket and parked correctly in a bay, my appeal with them failed. I am furious and only now know from research that they are considered a kangaroo court.
    Can you please advise me what to do next? I haven't yet been contacted by the car park company, so I don't know what my options are other than to pay, which I will refuse to.
    I am willing to go to court but not sure what else I can provide to make it clear that I have done nothing wrong?

Your assistance with this matter is greatly appreciated
Page 1
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 13th Jun 17, 12:02 AM
    • 49,976 Posts
    • 63,380 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:02 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:02 AM
    Can you please advise me what to do next?
    Nothing. Certainly do NOT pay. If they try a small claim, this is a valid point of defence:

The ticket has written on it 'FIX INSIDE WINDOW', so as it didn't have a sticker to fix in the winsdcreen i wedged it in my drivers window where it could be seen clearly.
    I came back to see a ticket had been issued for not displaying a valid permit.
    You had no chance at the IAS. You DO have a high chance of winning a small claim case. VERY high.

Do nothing for now. You can find out how likely the company is to try court claims, by Googling 'BMPA Insight' and the company name or acronym.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• pogofish
    • By pogofish 13th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    • 7,520 Posts
    • 7,555 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:04 AM
    You have gone through the main options - although you would have done better to come here first as you have made the fundamental mistake of thinking your "case" actually matters to these goons and that the IAS are a legit body to appeal to.

About all you can do now is to ignore them completely - expect a barrage of PPC and debt collector scary letters, which you sit-out for the next six years, unless the PPC (but not the debt collector) starts a court action/MCOL - in which case you come back here promptly to get a proper defence together.

However, with IAS companies, court actions are very thin on the ground, so whilst waiting for your first scary letter, read the Newbies Sticky and LBCC threads to get yourself properly informed.
    • Harry--M
    • By Harry--M 13th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Harry--M
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:33 AM
    I wish I had come here first, but the IAS is where I was directed to for an appeal, so I'm quite !!!!ed about that.
    I'm keen to take them on but know that getting threatening letters for six years is going to get me angry.
    I've enquiries with citizens advice about complaining and possibly getting trading standards involved, do you think it's worth pursuing further or just doing nothing?
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 13th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 5,947 Posts
    • 7,656 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:48 AM
    I wish I had come here first, but the IAS is where I was directed to for an appeal, so I'm quite !!!!ed about that.
    I'm keen to take them on but know that getting threatening letters for six years is going to get me angry.
    I've enquiries with citizens advice about complaining and possibly getting trading standards involved, do you think it's worth pursuing further or just doing nothing?
    Originally posted by Harry--M
    Forget the CAB, they are one of life's wasters.

You can complain to Trading Standards if letters you receive
    are misleading such as ....

If you don't pay you will get a CCJ and you will not be able to get credit.
    Anything that is misleading or threatening.

Debt collectors have strict rules to comply by, but companies like DRP, don't understand the rules

The best way to deal with these clowns is ignore them, the letters are good for cat litter trays or similar.

Do not ignore real court papers
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 13th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 32,751 Posts
    • 16,765 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 9:51 AM
    Creditors have six years to start legal proceedings.

That doesn't mean you will be harassed for that long!

Now you know what to expect why get angry when a meaningless debt collectors letter turns up.

If you want to make a complaint do so - but don't bash yourself too much!
    • Harry--M
    • By Harry--M 13th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Harry--M
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:08 PM
    Thanks, guys, I'm very grateful.
    • Harry--M
    • By Harry--M 21st Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Harry--M
    • 21st Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 4:50 PM
    Hi again

I received a formal demand today asking for the full amount of £100.
    I googled BMPA Insight as you suggested and it came up with the following:

2015 29,049 Tickets Issued - Court Hearings 16
    2016 58027 Tickets Issued - Court Hearings 10
    2017 19133 Tickets Issued so far - Court Hearings so far 78

They appear to have ramped upn their court appearances!

I'm guessing that I will now start receiving these type of threatening letters and should ignore them, right?
    I'm also guessing that they will try to send it to court based on the large increase this year. What should I do then, come back for more guidance?

Many thanks in advance
    Harry
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 21st Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 14,525 Posts
    • 22,855 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 21st Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    • 21st Jun 17, 4:55 PM
    Ignore anything from debt collectors, they can do nothing other than write you letters.

Do not ignore a Letter Before Action (from the PPC), or real court papers - come back for more advice if you get either.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Redx
    • By Redx 21st Jun 17, 4:57 PM
    • 15,493 Posts
    • 19,578 Thanks
    Redx
    you IGNORE if they are debt collector letters

what you must not ignore are

1) an LBC from either the PPC or their legal representative

2) an MCOL from Northampton

if you get an LBC , you send back a simple denial letter, like the ones written by GAN , read other LBC replies posted on here too

for an MCOL, you follow post #2 of the NEWBIES sticky thread, acknowledge it online , then find and draft a defence based on similar court case threads on here, because there are many who are well in front of you and already doing it, so you follow the herd and adapt one of their approved defences (they are all broadly similar)
    Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 21st Jun 17, 4:58 PM
    • 49,976 Posts
    • 63,380 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You did fix the ticket inside a window!

This is defendable in court.

I'm guessing that I will now start receiving these type of threatening letters and should ignore them, right?
    I'm also guessing that they will try to send it to court based on the large increase this year. What should I do then, come back for more guidance?
    Yes, we'll get you through it. Can't recall anyone losing, so we have 100% win rate.
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!

• Harry--M
    • By Harry--M 21st Jun 17, 5:03 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Harry--M
    Thanks, guys, I am very grateful. This can be quite stressful but knowing that there are others who have your back is great comfort.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 21st Jun 17, 5:04 PM
    • 49,976 Posts
    • 63,380 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Yup, they are all scammers, the industry should be banned, so we help fight the battles until we win the war. This level of harassment and money-grabbing from scum bottom-feeders, can't continue forever.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,303Posts Today

7,239Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin