Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CakeIsALie
    • By CakeIsALie 12th Jun 17, 11:47 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CakeIsALie
    Buying an ex-shop - good idea?
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:47 PM
    Buying an ex-shop - good idea? 12th Jun 17 at 11:47 PM
    I'm aware there are many flats above shops, but this one is different as the property on sale covers both.

The shop is on ground floor and has been converted for residential use - the ground floor has been partitioned to obtain several rooms. I believe there are toilet, living room and kitchen.

Upstairs rooms were also modified, the kitchen was removed and the living room was converted to a bedroom.

Other than that, the property seems normal.

Some questions:

1. The permission for business use is still in effect, but I am not sure what type is it. Will lenders be happy if I decided to convert the ground floor for business use later on?

2. The front of the property has standard shop-front design with the shutter being rolled down permanently. Do I need a special permission if I convert the shop front to more traditional house design?

3. Is it possible to let the shop space out? The area doesn't seem the sort where people would go to shop. The shop could work as the place where people go for a sake of convenience - e.g. corner shop and fast food

4. I noticed that some walls aren't really in correct places, does anyone know how much does it cost to repartition walls. £ per metre?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 13th Jun 17, 12:07 AM
    • 39,687 Posts
    • 45,206 Thanks
    G_M
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:07 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:07 AM
    Not nearly enough information for serious answers but...
    Some questions:

1. The permission for business use is still in effect, but I am not sure what type is it. Will lenders be happy if I decided to convert the ground floor for business use later on?
    * check with the council for the use type.
    * if you get a standard residential mortage - No!

2. The front of the property has standard shop-front design with the shutter being rolled down permanently. Do I need a special permission if I convert the shop front to more traditional house design?
    * Almost certainly you'd need Planning Permission. Is it a Conservation Area? Listed Building?
    * You'd need Building regulations certification as part of the build process

3. Is it possible to let the shop space out? The area doesn't seem the sort where people would go to shop. The shop could work as the place where people go for a sake of convenience - e.g. corner shop and fast food
    * if you have the right planning use, AND the consent of your mortgage lender (if any) , then yes.
    * whether it would make a profit or a loss will depend on your busness plan

4. I noticed that some walls aren't really in correct places, does anyone know how much does it cost to repartition walls. £ per metre?
    Originally posted by CakeIsALie
    Are any of these walls structural?
    • CakeIsALie
    • By CakeIsALie 13th Jun 17, 1:19 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CakeIsALie
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:19 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:19 AM
    Not nearly enough information for serious answers but...
    Are any of these walls structural?
    Originally posted by G_M
    1) Is there special kind of mortgage that accepts mixed use of a property? What type of a mortgage do I need?

2) Not a listed building nor in conservation area. Thanks for info.

3) Thanks,

4) I do not believe the wall is load bearing but my requirements are flexible as long as they achieve similar outcome as I don't plan to remove walls entirely. I just need to rearrange a room or two around.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 13th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 5,291 Posts
    • 4,954 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:34 AM
    If you're planning to operate the premises as a business (even if that's just the business of letting out the shop to someone else) then you'll need a commercial mortgage (though some of them will have a problem with partial residential use). You're not going to get any sort of residential mortgage if the planning isn't residential.
    Last edited by davidmcn; 13-06-2017 at 9:03 AM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 9,318 Posts
    • 7,254 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:11 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 3:11 PM

Originally posted by CakeIsALie
    Probably why the shop closed. It could have been a convenience store, thousands have closed in recent years. For a fast food takeaway you would need Class A5 planning permission which is not always granted and can be very unpopular with neighbours
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,295Posts Today

9,856Users online

Martin's Twitter