Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Jun 17, 11:21 PM
    • 3,035Posts
    • 2,323Thanks
    dekaspace
    Best and cheapest deep fat fryer oil?
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:21 PM
    Best and cheapest deep fat fryer oil? 12th Jun 17 at 11:21 PM
    I had one before that I liked, it may of been rapeseed that made chips and things amazing.

Just bought a new 2.5 litre fryer as my old one was far too small and even making enough chips for one person was a task in itself.

Also means I can attempt home made fish and chips now.

I like chips that come from a Chinese as they are crispy without being hard.

Whilst I am here, what is best way to clean my old one? May put it on a freebies website as its only a few years old and only used a few times a year but its greasy, did try a metal scourer but huge effort for minimal reward, did get some foam before that you left a few minutes and then scoured off which made it good as new but don't remember what it is.

Also makes me think I need to clean bottom of oven so whats cheap and good for that?!
Page 1
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Jun 17, 12:50 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:50 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:50 AM
    Out of pure luck it seems KTC Vegetable oil at Asda seems the cheapest at £3.80 for 5L, I didn't want vegetable oil but I assume no other price comes close.

EDIT : Looks like not available at my local store, shame.
    Last edited by dekaspace; 13-06-2017 at 12:58 AM.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 13th Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 12:58 PM
    Beef dripping is best for tasty chips
    The secret to good crispy on the outside/ soft on the inside chip, is in the prep

Roosters are a very tasty potato which make a nice tasty chip. Cut your chips,soak in water a while, drain and dry them

Heat oil to 130 and lower the chips in. Leave them in for around 5 mins, then test for softness by scooping one out and giving a squeeze. It the chips start going brown before getting soft, turn temp down. Soon as soft, lift the chips to drain and turn temp up to 170 or 180. Drop the chips and cook until crisp. You should end up with lovely golden crispy chips. I break a few up after the softening stage so I get crunchy ends
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 19th Jun 17, 8:05 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:05 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:05 PM
    To update this thread I ended up buying Crisp N Dry, works good but cost £2.50 a 2 litre bottle, im hoping for around £4 for 4 litres or £4.80 for 5.

I would of assumed dripping was very bad for you, thanks for telling me though.
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 19th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:15 PM
    Dripping is an animal fat, not a processed vegetable oil. It's the processing that makes fats bad for you (simplified answer)

Go do a study on fats.

Also the bigger the chip, the healthier it is. So hand cut your own chips. Don't go for fries. Make them near enough wedge size and even deep frying in dripping they are around the same calories and saturated fats as roasties

Chips are to be enjoyed a lovely delicous treat, once or twice a month. Not an every day meal
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 19th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    Well im looking about 1-3 times a week, since I bought the fryer last Monday have used it once though did want to use it a few times since then had no chips to try.

Isn't dripping very expensive though?
    • Cupcake Returns
    • By Cupcake Returns 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    Cupcake Returns
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 8:48 PM
    Well im looking about 1-3 times a week, since I bought the fryer last Monday have used it once though did want to use it a few times since then had no chips to try.

Isn't dripping very expensive though?
    Originally posted by dekaspace

Chips 3 times a week, whilst scrummy, isn't going to do your waistline any favours at all. Seriously we all love fried food but it needs to be a treat , once in a while

Any good cooking meduim is going to be expensive compared to its cheap alternatives. However you can look after your oil/dripping, and make it last

With oil, as soon as it's cold , filter it back into the bottle and store in the cool and dark. To filter, take a funnel, line with kitchen roll, and put on the empty oil bottle. Let the oil drip through the paper towel , leaving all the crud behind.

You can do the same with dripping only that still needs to be warm and liquid. Else let it set then just give a quick warm so the solid lump lifts out of the chip pan. Scrape the crud of the bottom off

My pan uses three litres of oil. I'm using the same oil since Feb. Every use I filter it and store it. I only use sunflower oil, it heats well and doesn't taint the food. Not as cheap as a mixed veggie oil, but looked after it lasts a long time.

Chip shops have pans that filter and recycle oil, as do resturaunts. The size of pans in those mean cooking oil is never cheap, it has to be kept clean as possible to last as long as possible. Where I work, 3 days life is about the norm, 5 days in quiet months
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 19th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 2,323 Thanks
    dekaspace
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    3 times a week is very literal, it may be once a week, it may be 4 times a month it just might be 3 days of chips in a row then none for 29 more days

Its why I say 1-3 times a week, didn't want to say once a week then have it 3 days in a row.

But thanks for that advice
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,925Posts Today

9,658Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin