Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lollobrigida
    • By Lollobrigida 12th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Lollobrigida
    Park homes
    • 12th Jun 17, 10:08 PM
    Park homes 12th Jun 17 at 10:08 PM
    Any advice about park homes? Apart from that they are very remote usually, are there any problems with buying/living in a park home? Does the mail get there, do you pay additional fees, is it easy to resell it, etc?
Page 2
    • Brock_and_Roll
    • By Brock_and_Roll 13th Jun 17, 1:35 PM
    • 747 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    Brock_and_Roll
    Indeed.

As a New Forest resident I know at first hand it is the nice bit of freehold land that the park home is sitting on that is relevant here. I suspect that in this case is may be possible (as hinted at by the EA) to build a replacement "small dwelling" (<80sq.m) as defined by the NFNPA.

If this were built, I see nom reason why the property might not be worth circa £400k.

Complete opposite of a park home on a site - here you normally own the shed, but not the land it sits on.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Jun 17, 2:02 PM
    • 9,409 Posts
    • 7,375 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    True park home parks are for permanent occupation, 365 days a year. Most are aimed at retired/semi-retired, with a minimum age of 55, although there some as low as 50.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 13th Jun 17, 2:21 PM
    • 170 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    ProDave
    Indeed.

As a New Forest resident I know at first hand it is the nice bit of freehold land that the park home is sitting on that is relevant here. I suspect that in this case is may be possible (as hinted at by the EA) to build a replacement "small dwelling" (<80sq.m) as defined by the NFNPA.

If this were built, I see nom reason why the property might not be worth circa £400k.

Complete opposite of a park home on a site - here you normally own the shed, but not the land it sits on.
    Originally posted by Brock_and_Roll
    You might get permission to replace that with a proper house.

If not, it still has planning permission (or established use) for a "caravan". There is nothing to stop you just replacing the existing "caravan" with a new "caravan". It is quite possible to build a very well insulated timber framed bungalow that to all intents and purposes is like any other bungalow, but by sticking within the maximum dimensions of a "caravan" as written into the caravans act, and making it so it can be moved it will still legally be a "caravan". Our local council has published a policy note describing what constitutes a "caravan" and they make it clear it does not have to be on wheels. Lifting the structure with a crane onto one or more low loaders makes it portable enough to be considered a "caravan"

There was one such building featured on Grand Designs a year or two back.
    • Lollobrigida
    • By Lollobrigida 13th Jun 17, 11:40 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Lollobrigida
    I'd qualify that too, as renting from a social landlord is often much the better option, especially if one is older.
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Can anyone rent from social landlord?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jun 17, 7:36 AM
    • 22,601 Posts
    • 87,461 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Can anyone rent from social landlord?
    Originally posted by Lollobrigida
    Anyone can apply to rent from a housing association, council etc.

For some, there would be no hope of receiving an offer, because people's financial means and other factors, like their age and health will be considered.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

234Posts Today

3,457Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin