Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    • 35,463Posts
    • 45,645Thanks
    McKneff
    Poorly cat.
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:41 PM
    Poorly cat. 12th Jun 17 at 9:41 PM
    Unfortunately we are goung to let our 16 yr old cat go.
    She has major 3rd stage kidney disease and going downhill fast.
    She is eating so little now. And just struggling .

Do vets carry out cremations and give you the ashes, i have ansolutely no idea what happens never having done this before. What cost is involve ...

UPDATE

Tinker went for her Forever sleep this afternoon, at home, on her favourite blanket, in her favourite spot laid across the back og Grandad 's chair. No struggle, it took only seconds before she drifted away....

Sad beyond words..
    Last edited by McKneff; 14-06-2017 at 1:41 PM.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent
Page 1
    • Apoorwoman
    • By Apoorwoman 12th Jun 17, 11:11 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    Apoorwoman
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:11 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:11 PM
    So sorry to hear about your cat, but feel you are doing the right thing.

When my cat's time came, I got the vet to come to the house to put him to sleep. She took him away and they phoned me around a week later to collect his ashes.

Just phone the vet and they will tell you the cost and they will deal with everything for you.

My thoughts are with you. x
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 12th Jun 17, 11:39 PM
    • 35,463 Posts
    • 45,645 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:39 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 11:39 PM
    Thank you for your response, upsetting times. I didnt realise that they could visit the home to do it. The travel to a vet in her box has always been distressing for her. At home she would still feel safe till she sleepily closed her eyes... i would hate to think she had spent the last hour of her life in distress.
    Thank you for your kind words
    Xx
    Annie
    • paddypaws101
    • By paddypaws101 13th Jun 17, 8:52 AM
    • 2,045 Posts
    • 2,449 Thanks
    paddypaws101
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:52 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:52 AM
    I am sorry you are having to deal with this and well remember my own panic the first time I had to deal with the same.
    In my case, I have a vet on the corner of my street so he comes to my house when the time comes. Most vets will offer this service but of course it can be expensive.
    My vet then takes the body away to store it which they do by deep freeze. I drive, so am able to then collect the body and take it to a small local pet crematorium myself. These places do sell pet urns but I am also able to provide a suitable small wooden box of my own choice for the ashes which I then collect at a later date.
    I do this because I prefer to handle the arrangements myself and it allows me to feel I am offering one last kindness to my beloved pet, but of course the cost is far lower this way than getting the vet to arrange things.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 13th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 35,463 Posts
    • 45,645 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:12 AM
    Thanks pp10. We have decided it will be done at home, this will be much less stressful for her, she does get upset before a vet visit, funny how they know before. I have had to look in lots of places for her just before a visit lol. We do also have a pet crem a few miles away. Ashes will be spread around a memorial tree.

Never had to do this before so thanks both for your kind words.
    Xx
    Annie
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 13th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:19 PM
    Make arrangements with your vet beforehand so thet they know what will happen.

This will avoid you having to make decisions or deal with arrangements at an upsetting time.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 14th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 35,463 Posts
    • 45,645 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 1:56 PM
    Update is on my original post
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 14th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 5:46 PM
    I'm so sorry. Please take comfort from the fact that she was at home, in her favourite place, and that she went without any pain. That's the best that any of us could wish for our beloved pets.
    • no1catman
    • By no1catman 14th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 1,924 Thanks
    no1catman
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    • 14th Jun 17, 8:28 PM
    When the time came with my previous cat, I was expect her to 'drift away', but no she went with a bump, as her heart stopped, her head suddenly dropped down, and something else to be prepared for - with the muscles now relaxed - her bladder emptied!

It happened at the Vet, which is less than a mile away, there when it happened, and as above - went back later and collected the ashes.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
    • Doody
    • By Doody 16th Jun 17, 10:42 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    Doody
    So sorry for your loss. That last decision we have to make for our animals is a hard one indeed. Having the vet come to you sounds like such a good way to do it. We've always buried our cats in the garden. So many now, I can't remember where they all are.
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 17th Jun 17, 5:28 PM
    • 35,463 Posts
    • 45,645 Thanks
    McKneff
    She will be cremated individually and ashes scattered around a memotial tree in a lovely park.

I didnt know that mostly cats are cremated en masse so you may get only bits of your own cat or none of your own cats ashes at all.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 17th Jun 17, 7:03 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    She will be cremated individually and ashes scattered around a memotial tree in a lovely park.

I didnt know that mostly cats are cremated en masse so you may get only bits of your own cat or none of your own cats ashes at all.
    It depends on the crematorium. When we lost our blue lady we took her to a local pet crematorium who guarantee individual cremations (they have a number of different sized crematoriums - small ones for little pets and large ones for horses etc).

I think we paid about £90 8 years ago.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 18th Jun 17, 10:18 AM
    • 2,278 Posts
    • 1,882 Thanks
    donnac2558
    I paid £91 for separate private cremation for my big boy in January. Have the receipt which says Private Cremation Small. I have his ashes and my first Burmese under the bed in a large fancy box. They will come with me when I go.

I only wanted a simple wicker pouch thing for him, you can pay extra and get fancy urns etc. I find these creepy myself.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 18th Jun 17, 10:27 AM
    • 1,546 Posts
    • 1,009 Thanks
    Robin9
    I had a wonderful handwritten card from my vet after Leo was pts.

I had to take him to a emergency clinic on a Sunday morning - Ashes now buried under a favourite plant which he used to squash down as a sleeping spot.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

212Posts Today

1,399Users online

Martin's Twitter