Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • disgruntled tenant
    • By disgruntled tenant 12th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 3Thanks
    disgruntled tenant
    Career break to study a Masters
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    Career break to study a Masters 12th Jun 17 at 7:44 PM
    After a lot of thinking, I've applied for an unpaid sabbatical from a ten-year plus career, to study a full-time Masters for a year. I will be classed as a Mature student. Any tips or money saving advice would be welcome... I know I can apply for a student loan...

Is there any bit of money saving advice that you would give me? In theory, with loan, savings, and living frugalyl I may just be able to cover it...
Page 1
    • w06
    • By w06 12th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 443 Thanks
    w06
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    if it's full time you'll be entitled to council tax exemption - which means if you live alone you pay zero council tax, bit more complicated if more than you on the bill but does reduce it.

Ed to add the university usually has a system for issuing confirmatory letters
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 12th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 18,728 Posts
    • 19,033 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:45 PM
    The student board might have some suggestions. (And maybe consider matched betting for some extra income?)
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • beluga
    • By beluga 12th Jun 17, 8:49 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 5,086 Thanks
    beluga
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:49 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:49 PM
    Do you plan on working while you're studying? Even with full time study there's no reason you can't work a few hours a week, more during breaks. The uni should give you a letter for the council tax reduction and your student card will get you some discounts. I got a reduction in fees by going to the same uni I did my undergrad at, and a student rail pass saved me money on the commute.
    Is your course related to your career or are you planning on a change?
    A bit more info about your situation might help to give some specific advice.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,228 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:20 PM
    See also duplicate thread here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5663643
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,500Posts Today

7,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin