Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John Simpson
    • By John Simpson 12th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    John Simpson
    Comparing property for council tax reclaim
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    Comparing property for council tax reclaim 12th Jun 17 at 7:28 PM
    Can anyone answer this one? My house was built 1995 and is band E. A mile down the road, (in the same town) are identical houses built 2 years earlier by the same builder. They are band D. I have been told that I cannot use them as a comparison for my request to check my band. I have been given no reason why they cannot be used and when I asked why the reply was "they just cant, it's the rules"
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Jun 17, 8:08 PM
    • 9,892 Posts
    • 7,948 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:08 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:08 PM
    A mile can make a lot of difference to house prices. In a town I know, in the 1950s, a builder built the same house type on 3 estates, perhaps 1 -2 miles from each other. 2 bed semis on 2 of the estates are Band C, on the 3rd they are B, and actual 1991 sales back all these up.

By the way, there are no "rules" regarding comparables, just sensible guidelines.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 18,702 Posts
    • 9,963 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    A mile can make a lot of difference to house prices.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    Indeed, especially if a mile away is a different district or even postcode.

Even identical houses in neighbouring streets can easily have differing sales valuations..
    • John Simpson
    • By John Simpson 12th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    John Simpson
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 9:46 PM
    The distance does not matter because they are comparing my property with another similar, not exact, on the same estate as the ones that they refuse to compare.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,404Posts Today

6,561Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin