Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thebullsback
    • By thebullsback 12th Jun 17, 7:17 PM
    • 338Posts
    • 30Thanks
    thebullsback
    neighbors roof is in a mess
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:17 PM
    neighbors roof is in a mess 12th Jun 17 at 7:17 PM
    we have had rain coming into our property on two separate occasions and although the neighbors roof has not been at fault as yet on each occasion the roofer has commented on the missing tiles and general poor condition of the neighbors roof.
    If I approach him and mention the state of his roof I have a feeling he wont get it repaired .
    Is there anything I can do if that's the case and am I really just wasting my breath and causing bad feeling if I do mention it and he does nothing??
Page 1
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 12th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:33 PM
    It's not a consumer issue and his roof is nothing to do with you.
    • thebullsback
    • By thebullsback 12th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    thebullsback
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:48 PM
    Thank Andy
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 12th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 5,044 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:54 PM
    It's worth mentioning as a friendly and neighbourly thing to do, he might not even know there is a problem with his roof. Rather than approaching it in a confrontational way or giving concerns about your own property just approach and say we had a roofer to fix a leak today and while up there he noticed you have a few tiles missing, just thought you should know in case it causes you problems.

In one of my rentals a random stranger knocked my door to tell me that the day before (while I was at work) some kids were throwing stones up on the roof, sure enough there was some damage and also to next doors roof. I let my landlord know straight away and my neighbours as soon as they were home from work. As we were both out when it happened if nobody had told us it could have been months before any problem was bad enough for us to notice from in the house.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 18,775 Posts
    • 8,936 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    People are often suspicious when told a roofer has commented on loose slates etc and with good reason.
    Less professional tradesmen are often guilty of deliberately moving such items on neighbouring roofs in order to drum up extra custom..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,599Users online

Martin's Twitter