Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wilkies5
    • By wilkies5 12th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 116Thanks
    wilkies5
    0 WOW
    Medical condition: can't get reasonable Holiday insurance
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:09 PM
    0 WOW
    Medical condition: can't get reasonable Holiday insurance 12th Jun 17 at 7:09 PM
    My husband is having IV chemotherapy every 21days which has stabilised his lung cancer. He's in no pain and feels well enough to do a week in the sun in Spain in October. Unfortunately there isn't one travel insurance company which wants to insure him!! It stems from the fact that six months ago his cancer had spread to his chest wall. A recent CT scan now shows that is no longer an area of concern. He takes no pain killers and is not breathless. All the recommended companies either refused him or charge in excess of £1800!! Surely there's one company who'd take his premium. He's walking miles with the dog each day and mowing the lawns so he's not disabled with his disease at the moment. Does anyone recognise this frustrating situation???
    Wilkies5
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 12th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 8,808 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    Yes. My lung cancer is terminal.

He should be able to get normal insurance that excludes his cancer without weighting the premium.

An EHIC card should enable some protection in certain EU locations.

I'm travelling the world before the illness finishes me off. I've told my family to leave me overseas if it gets the better of me on my travels.

Good luck. Hopefully the various treatments that seem to be around at the moment and new ones in the pipeline work wonders for him.
    • MoneyMate
    • By MoneyMate 12th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 2,770 Posts
    • 13,189 Thanks
    MoneyMate
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 7:44 PM
    My husband is having IV chemotherapy every 21days which has stabilised his lung cancer. He's in no pain and feels well enough to do a week in the sun in Spain in October. Unfortunately there isn't one travel insurance company which wants to insure him!! It stems from the fact that six months ago his cancer had spread to his chest wall. A recent CT scan now shows that is no longer an area of concern. He takes no pain killers and is not breathless. All the recommended companies either refused him or charge in excess of £1800!! Surely there's one company who'd take his premium. He's walking miles with the dog each day and mowing the lawns so he's not disabled with his disease at the moment. Does anyone recognise this frustrating situation???
    Originally posted by wilkies5
    Hope you get your husbands holiday insurance sorted out soon, I had similar problems with pre-existing medical conditions.
    Have you tried Allclear
    https://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/topic/pre-existing-medical-conditions/?gclid=CjwKEAjw9_jJBRCXycSarr3csWcSJABthk07kQ4JDL9 v517P17pDYd1h8-UfMoE7kUQv9j5vVAOHSBoCNC3w_wcB
    There are more questions than answers
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times
    UK Resident
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 13th Jun 17, 4:14 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Korkyb
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:14 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:14 AM
    I had throat / tonsil cancer last year - luckily after chopping & zapping all should be well & it wont return (fingers crossed).

I don't have any symptoms apart from a bit of a dry mouth from the radiation therapy and take no meds.

The insurance company that I get annual cover from through my bank want £300+ to cover me.

They have said that I can continue the cover without additional premiums but if anything crops up relating to the big C problem while sunning myself by the pool then I'm on my own.

I'm thinking that as the risk of anything suddenly rearing up requiring immediate on holiday treatment is very low (its over a year since treatment finished) that I'd be paying £300 for bog all.

A stupid risk or a reasonable risk assessment??
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 8,808 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    I had throat / tonsil cancer last year - luckily after chopping & zapping all should be well & it wont return (fingers crossed).

I don't have any symptoms apart from a bit of a dry mouth from the radiation therapy and take no meds.

The insurance company that I get annual cover from through my bank want £300+ to cover me.

They have said that I can continue the cover without additional premiums but if anything crops up relating to the big C problem while sunning myself by the pool then I'm on my own.

I'm thinking that as the risk of anything suddenly rearing up requiring immediate on holiday treatment is very low (its over a year since treatment finished) that I'd be paying £300 for bog all.

A stupid risk or a reasonable risk assessment??
    Originally posted by Korkyb
    There are risks but I'd agree with your assessment.

Having the cash to pay for a next day return flight home if something crops up might be the most appropriate form of self insurance.

And hopefully you'll never need it.
    • DUKE
    • By DUKE 13th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 6,980 Posts
    • 288,291 Thanks
    DUKE
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 1:49 PM
    Yeah breast cancer & recurring bladder cancer. No one would insure me at all at one point, or the rare quote that would wanted around £2000+. 7 years on the breast cancer's been written off, & last year Nationwide offered me insurance for about £150 for the bladder cancer.
    Thanks everyone!
    • 814man
    • By 814man 13th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    814man
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 2:50 PM
    @PeacefulWaters, wow what a post #2. I admire your honesty and planning and hope you get to visit all the destinations in your dreams. I truly hope I'd have your outlook if I were in your situation.
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 41,344 Posts
    • 16,998 Thanks
    macman
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 4:12 PM
    Holiday insurance is entirely voluntary. Spain has an excellent public health service and with an EHIC card he will have access to this without charge if needed. What of course it won't provide is repatriation in case of accident or other serious illness. So i would consider going without. Obviously you wouldn't want to take this approach if travelling outside the EU, to the USA etc.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 13th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 18,709 Posts
    • 43,011 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 5:23 PM
    I know this goes against all sensible advice but in your situation you might get more reasonable quotes nearer the time if you're not bothered about cancellation insurance. Obviously if you take insurance out now they're taking a risk that you might cancel in the interim.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 13th Jun 17, 10:04 PM
    • 7,157 Posts
    • 8,808 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    @PeacefulWaters, wow what a post #2. I admire your honesty and planning and hope you get to visit all the destinations in your dreams. I truly hope I'd have your outlook if I were in your situation.
    Originally posted by 814man
    Currently in New Hampshire having just descended Mount Washington.

Not a dream destination, but had enough Avios to get here first class. That's one ticked off the bucket list. Along with seeing a rather impressive Fin Whale in the Gulf of Maine the other day.
    • Korkyb
    • By Korkyb 14th Jun 17, 3:25 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    Korkyb
    There are risks but I'd agree with your assessment.

Having the cash to pay for a next day return flight home if something crops up might be the most appropriate form of self insurance.

And hopefully you'll never need it.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

Yep - heading to Marrakech in a couple of weeks so getting a flight back to the UK if I had to shouldn't be an issue.

Hoping the only medical issue I encounter will be a hangover :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

527Posts Today

5,275Users online

Martin's Twitter