Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teddybear154
    • By teddybear154 12th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 74Posts
    • 31Thanks
    teddybear154
    Bank Debit Card declined did not even ask for pin advice needed?
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    Bank Debit Card declined did not even ask for pin advice needed? 12th Jun 17 at 6:47 PM
    I wonder if any one can help me I used my debit card about 2 hours ago to buy some food shopping in village and card worked fine. I also withdrew some cash and card worked fine.
    I just realised I had forgotten some thing so went back up to shops but when tried to pay I put debit card in machine and straight away it came up with a message saying declined. It did not even ask me to input pin.

How can it decline if did not even allow me to enter pin. I tried 3 times and same thing each time. I went back to post office counter and tried it there to withdraw some more cash to pay for shopping and card worked fine in post office machine.

I have used my debit card at this shop before many times and not had a problem.

Do you think it was a problem with there machine rather than my card. There is plenty of money in account only just got paid.

I should add that at no point have I enter pin incorrectly so can't be that.

Should I be worried

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Lith
    • By Lith 12th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    • 863 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    Lith
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 6:55 PM
    phone bank lock that card order a replacement.
    HSBC (Main A/C)
    Halifax Back up A/C
    Lloyds (Spending) A/C
    RBS Back up A/C
    Barclays Old A/C
    Nationwide Old A/C
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 12th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 1,972 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    Do you think it was a problem with there machine rather than my card. There is plenty of money in account only just got paid.
    Originally posted by teddybear154
    I've had this happen a few times here and abroad.

My guess is that the DECLINED message is misleading and the result of a communications problem between the terminal and the bank, perhaps only lasting a few seconds.
    • isplumm
    • By isplumm 12th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 761 Thanks
    isplumm
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    • 12th Jun 17, 8:56 PM
    It could be that their machine was down - normally if a card is declined the retailer does get a code - I had the same issue years ago when I went to pay for petrol - card declined - turns out the machine wasn't working - but they didn't realise that!

Mark
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 13th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 7,361 Posts
    • 4,754 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    • 13th Jun 17, 8:16 AM
    You've answered your own question - you went and used it in the PO afterwards and the card's fine. Stop worrying.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 13th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 18,137 Posts
    • 13,842 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 7:06 PM
    Agree with Biggles, and certainly don't do what Lith suggests (which is usually good advice for his posts anyway!).
    • Chalkius
    • By Chalkius 13th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Chalkius
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 10:23 PM
    If your card ever declines for no apparent reason, and keeps doing so, call your bank and ask why. They'll be able to tell you better than anyone else. If it's just one place it doesn't work in on one occasion, then just ignore it.
    • tg99
    • By tg99 13th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    tg99
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    • 13th Jun 17, 11:18 PM
    Was the card declined in one of the same shops you had successfully used it in 2 hours earlier? I had this issue (though using contactless) when using my card again in another M&S not long after worked fine in a different M&S so may be some kind of fraud prevention.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 14th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    • 874 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    • 14th Jun 17, 7:42 AM
    I wonder if any one can help me I used my debit card about 2 hours ago to buy some food shopping in village and card worked fine. I also withdrew some cash and card worked fine.
    I just realised I had forgotten some thing so went back up to shops but when tried to pay I put debit card in machine and straight away it came up with a message saying declined. It did not even ask me to input pin.

How can it decline if did not even allow me to enter pin. I tried 3 times and same thing each time. I went back to post office counter and tried it there to withdraw some more cash to pay for shopping and card worked fine in post office machine.

I have used my debit card at this shop before many times and not had a problem.

I should add that at no point have I enter pin incorrectly so can't be that.

Should I be worried

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance
    Originally posted by teddybear154
    I would be surprised if this kind of thing didn't happen now and again. I think most of us have had a transaction declined, or the reader has not recognised the card, at some point. Imagine the billions of transactions that take place every day, there are bound to be a few 'glitches'.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

529Posts Today

5,145Users online

Martin's Twitter